PDA

View Full Version : Inputting Longitude & Latitude co-ordinates, Help !

kwano888
19-10-10, 13:03
I have looked up my Longitude & Latitude co-ordinates and for my location it's saying :

LONGITUDE : NORTH 53.xxxxx
LATITUDE : WEST -2.xxxxx

How do I input a minus sign in the configuration ?

Btw, Multimaps is now part of Bing.com and I couldn't get the Longitude & Latitude co-ordinates from there but managed to obtain them from itouchmap.com

Thanks.

stuattravs
19-10-10, 13:19
Minus means west any positive number would be east so you don't need to input minus symbol

grtmoby
19-10-10, 13:46
I have looked up my Longitude & Latitude co-ordinates and for my location it's saying :

LONGITUDE : NORTH 53:xxxxx
LATITUDE : WEST -2.xxxx

Btw, Multimaps is now part of Bing.com and I couldn't get the Longitude & Latitude co-ordinates from there but managed to obtain them from itouchmap.com

Thanks.

as stuattravs said but in an easier way

u put it that way 360 + (-2.xxxxxW) = East xxxxxx

pooface
19-10-10, 13:47

LONGITUDE : NORTH 53.xxxxx
LATITUDE : WEST -2.xxxxx

Thanks.

As stuart says...

Just edited your post, so remove your info, as it shows exactly where you live ;)

kwano888
19-10-10, 13:47
Minus means west any positive number would be east so you don't need to input minus symbol

Simple when you know how ! Much appreciated for the feedback :)

satsatsat
19-10-10, 13:56
bear one thing in mind....

i am west 000.150.........im using west 002.500....this gives me the best sgnals...what i am saying is use the figure you first get and then go up and down a bit by bit and see what happens....

if i used the real figure i wouldnt get a thing....

i bet most people on this site using usals are not using the geographical figure but one they have got to by trial and error....

gerrylvslee
19-10-10, 15:27
Also use the strongest transponder for that satellite to get a true reading..

mil2004
19-10-10, 15:34
bear one thing in mind....

i am west 000.150.........im using west 002.500....this gives me the best sgnals...what i am saying is use the figure you first get and then go up and down a bit by bit and see what happens....

if i used the real figure i wouldnt get a thing....

i bet most people on this site using usals are not using the geographical figure but one they have got to by trial and error....

true

i am sick of going to the roof to push the dish left or right when is strong wind so u just move from remove little west and east and is ok again

silverfox0786
20-10-10, 19:05
just as an example so i know im calculating corect if i have a west for eg. -0.6059° would that then be an east of 359.3941°

grtmoby
20-10-10, 19:06
just as an example so i know im calculating corect if i have a west for eg. -0.6059° would that then be an east of 359.3941°

perfect 10/10

Conaxthewarrior
20-10-10, 19:38
I got my longitude and latitude data by using google maps. when there, simply type in your location (street name, town name) and bingo the data appears at the bottom of the screen.
Conaxthewarrior

xarqi
20-10-10, 23:45
I wonder if differences between "calculated" lat/long and the setting needed for optimal reception are due to the Earth not being a sphere. If the calculation gives the coordinates for the intersection of a line passing through the centre of the Earth and the location with a reference sphere, then for any object not also on that line (that is to say, at local zenith), unless the altitude of the location coincides with the reference sphere, there will be a difference in direction to the object from that calculated.

basilyoung
20-10-10, 23:59
in fact, USALs via googgle maps or where ever, do not take into account the fact, that you may live on top of a large hill, so the north settings may need a small adjusment

baz

pooface
21-10-10, 13:09
in fact, USALs via googgle maps or where ever, do not take into account the fact, that you may live on top of a large hill, so the north settings may need a small adjusment

baz

When I got my settings I used my tomtom to get the lat and long... So, I would say that if you have that, then put it as close to your satellite as possible, and this will give you a better reading than maps etc :p

I, Brian
21-10-10, 14:42
Ah, interesting - using http://www.dishpointer.com shows my longitude as a minus but doesn't state if east or west, so had presumed (for example) that longitude: -5.00 would be 5.00 west in the tuner set up on the duo?

pooface
21-10-10, 15:48
Ah, interesting - using http://www.dishpointer.com shows my longitude as a minus but doesn't state if east or west, so had presumed (for example) that longitude: -5.00 would be 5.00 west in the tuner set up on the duo?

Yes, -5 would be 5 west, or 355 east...