PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question.

king9fisher
08-09-13, 10:24
First off - I wanted to say "thanks" to you guys for all your help and support. (I have already donated some money :) )

I am a total newbie to satellites, receivers, images, bouquets (which I always thought involved flowers), etc. and so I have been reviewing this forum for some time and educating myself. I am a new owner of a TM-Twin OE, having recently moved to southern Germany, and have access to Astra 19.2E (for the German channels) and 28.2E (for the English channels).

I have just installed the latest VIX image (3.0.734) after trying OpenPLi 3.0 for a few weeks and having multiple problems with it such as inability to playback recordings, problems with configuration settings (mostly due to my incomprehension of them!) and problems with channels seeming to "disappear" with "Tune failed" and "SID not in PAT" messages..... urgh. Of course this might not be a problem with OpenPLi and more with the drivers that Technomate ships, however either way I was still suffering and cursing the box.

I am hoping that the VIX image goes someway to providing a degree of stability.

I have two immediate questions....
(1) I have been looking at Dreambox Edit as a tool to edit and control the number of channels displayed. Is this a good tool to use or would you recommend something else?
(2) I would really like to be able to stream live TV from the receiver to other computers or to an ipad across my ethernet LAN. I did some investigation and XMBC seems like a useful open source tool to show streaming. I installed XMBC and the VU+/Enigma2 PVR client, but I am not having much success (connection fails). Am I approaching this in the correct way? Could someone who has done this before recommend how best to do this?

Thanks all.

Stanman
08-09-13, 16:23
1. DBE is fine. You can use the built in autobouquetmaker to configure 28.2E channels and it also does sly Deutschland
2. No need to install anything other, install VLC player on the PC and than type int he IP of the box into a browser and click on the small TV icon next to the channel and it will stream live.

Can also watch movies by going into the movies folder,

ant_warriner@live.co.uk
08-09-13, 17:12
hi im new to all this how do I download new image for skybox and what image do I need

has786
08-09-13, 17:17
ant why not post in a relevant section first so you can be helped. Also you could introduced yourself as first post, that would be a good idea dont you think? ;)

Larry-G
08-09-13, 17:27
hi im new to all this how do I download new image for skybox and what image do I need

We dont support the skybox brand on this forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

king9fisher
09-09-13, 12:00
The VLC option is a good one when working off a PC, but I have yet to get VLC on the iPad to accept streaming from the box. Sadly, I am having problems with network connection at the moment which stops all streaming activities anyway.

When I run the network wizard, it says it says connection failed. The connection is ethernet direct to my router which is acting as the DHCP controller, DNS server and gateway. At the moment no IP address is being assigned. I have tried putting in a fixed IP address, but that also does not seem to work. Router is Fritzbox 7270.

Suggestions on where to look would be welcome.

As this is probably a VIX image question (i.e. around the network settings) I have raised a separate post there....

king9fisher
09-09-13, 15:30
Network now back up and running. I will now try streaming to an iPad and PC.....

king9fisher
10-09-13, 07:59
So I can access the WebIf page and the first time that I stream live TV to my PC that seems to work with VLC, but when I try to do it again (later), then it fails. VLC remains blank, but the title bar (top left) seems to flicker between showing the stream http address and the standard bar. Any ideas what is happening here? Is there a VLC option that could be the cause of this?