PDA

View Full Version : Advice requested - loading latest image

Burnham
08-09-13, 00:35
I have never updated my VU+ Duo since buying it two years ago - it has the v2.2 image loaded. I now want to load the latest OpenViX 3.0 image.

Been reading up all the information I can - I don't want to damage my box. As far as I understand my steps are:

1/ Load duo_cfe_3_0_usb bootloader from USB stick
2/ Load latest OpenViX 3.0 image from USB stick

Is this correct. Is it possible to go straight from v2.2 to V3.0.734 without going through any of the many images released between July 2011 and Sept 2013?

Things I'm not sure about:
- my kernel is v2.6.18 - latest kernel is v3.1.1 - will loading the latest openViX image automatically update the kernel?
- my drivers are from 2011.06.10 - same question - will these be updated automatically when loading the last v3 image?
- anything else I should know?

Larry-G
08-09-13, 02:26
I have never updated my VU+ Duo since buying it two years ago - it has the v2.2 image loaded. I now want to load the latest OpenViX 3.0 image.

Been reading up all the information I can - I don't want to damage my box. As far as I understand my steps are:

1/ Load duo_cfe_3_0_usb bootloader from USB stick
2/ Load latest OpenViX 3.0 image from USB stick

Is this correct.

yes thats correct

Is it possible to go straight from v2.2 to V3.0.734 without going through any of the many images released between July 2011 and Sept 2013?

no you must reflash the receiver to update.

Things I'm not sure about:
- my kernel is v2.6.18 - latest kernel is v3.1.1 - will loading the latest openViX image automatically update the kernel?
- my drivers are from 2011.06.10 - same question - will these be updated automatically when loading the last v3 image?
- anything else I should know?

drivers and the kernel are part of the image, just flash the new image and you will be fine.

have a read of this tutorial it should help.

How to flash a Vu+ Duo
Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick&p=3&viewfull=1#post3)

Burnham
08-09-13, 14:50
Thanks for reply. Have printed off the PDF as a guide when I do the update. Thanks for the confirmation about the Kernel & Drivers - you have reassured me that I am not missing out doing important steps.

One last very basic question before I do the update. When I do the first step of updating the bootloader I know I should see "Finished..reboot" on the VFD. At that point do I:

Either - restart the box and allow the old v2.2 firmware to load up using the new bootlooader - then update the firmware as a separate step
Or - plug in a USB with the new firmware on it and restart the box initiating the firmware update immediately

Larry-G
08-09-13, 15:18
Once you load the new bootloader simply power the receiver down then load the image to the USB stick and flash that, there is no need to power the box back up until the new image is flashed. but dont worry as the bootloader is fully backwards compatible with all images new and old.

Stanman
08-09-13, 16:13
ALso don't forget to pull files like CFG and autotimers before you reflash the image.

Burnham
08-09-13, 22:27
Flashed the box to latest image this evening - all ok. In fact it was quite simple. But I would like to thank all posters for the advice given. All the information was helpful in reassuring me that I was not doing anything wrong and/or dangerous.

I have a lot of catching up on new features and plugs ins released over the past two years, I can work through that over the coming days. I do not like the default skins - can anyone recommend a skin similar to the old light colour skin on the v2.2 image I had before. Also a skin that shows more information on the first press of the OK button.

judge
08-09-13, 22:39
The previous lighter skin is still maintained & fully updated.
It's in the plugin feeds - Skins -> vix-day-hd

The extra info has been moved to the second infobar though.
To enable it, Menu -> Setup -> System -> User Interface -> Settings -> Show second infobar.

Burnham
08-09-13, 22:58
I am using ViX-Day-HD at the moment and all the channel lists are white on black, instead of matching the Blue/Black on white/light blue of the infobar. Are there any other skins to try that would have this feature?

Similarly are there ViX skins out there now that have all the information on the 1st infobar as with the old skins. Or is it time to check out other image families.

judge
08-09-13, 23:06
Try any of the skins available to see if they suit your needs.
If you think something looks wrong, upload a screenshot (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12554-Tutorial-How-to-make-a-screenshot-dump-from-your-satellite-receiver&p=90834&viewfull=1#post90834) so we can see what you mean.

No harm in trying other images too, then stick with what you like.