PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting Solo2

msuk
06-09-13, 17:49
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting the Solo2 and would like to ask what are peoples experience of using this box?

Are there any known issues?

I will be connecting this to a 1080p 50" Plasma.

Thanks in advanced
msuk

Larry-G
06-09-13, 17:50
It's by far the best receiver i have owned including 7 other E2 based receivers which include the Duo, Uno and Ultimo.

AJT
06-09-13, 19:50
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting the Solo2 and would like to ask what are peoples experience of using this box?

Are there any known issues?

I will be connecting this to a 1080p 50" Plasma.

Thanks in advanced
msuk

Dont even think about .......Do it..Best box i have ever had and i have had many..you will only regret it if you DON'T get one.
Vix solo2 image is fantastic..solo2 super fast,super reliable.

msuk
07-09-13, 12:13
Thanks! Does this box support 3D output?

Larry-G
07-09-13, 12:18
All current Enigma 2 receivers we support going back to the Duo support 3D by default.

msuk
09-09-13, 10:34
Hello again,

Regarding Standard Definition, does this box have a upscaler to improve the picture to say 1080i?

Thanks in advanced
msuk

Sicilian
10-09-13, 05:56
It upscales, but don't expect SD to be upscaled to HD quality, no receiver can do that.

Rob van der Does
10-09-13, 06:09
Regarding Standard Definition, does this box have a upscaler to improve the picture to say 1080i?

It upscales, but don't expect SD to be upscaled to HD quality, no receiver can do that.
Indeed, you might even wonder if this upscaling is an improvement at all.

BTW: best way is always to let the TV handle the video-processing. So using the plugin autoresolution to match contents to the output; the TV knows best how to handle all kinds of resolutions (as it knows all the ins and outs of it's own panel and electronics; no way the box knows about your telly).

msuk
13-09-13, 21:39
Indeed, you might even wonder if this upscaling is an improvement at all.

BTW: best way is always to let the TV handle the video-processing. So using the plugin autoresolution to match contents to the output; the TV knows best how to handle all kinds of resolutions (as it knows all the ins and outs of it's own panel and electronics; no way the box knows about your telly).

Hi, how do I switch the solo2 upscaler off in the ViX image?

Larry-G
13-09-13, 21:54
As rob says install the auto resolution plugin from the image feeds then set the output to the same as the input.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

msuk
15-09-13, 12:03
As rob says install the auto resolution plugin from the image feeds then set the output to the same as the input.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,

Where do I find that in the menu?

Thanks

Larry-G
15-09-13, 12:06
Menu> Plugins> Green button to download > ( not sure on this last bit as i'm not near a receiver ) it's in either system plugins or extensions.

msuk
15-09-13, 12:25
Menu> Plugins> Green button to download > ( not sure on this last bit as i'm not near a receiver ) it's in either system plugins or extensions.

Hi,

Downloaded the plugin. Where do I find it in the menu? It doesn't appear in plugins

Larry-G
15-09-13, 12:35
Should appear in Menu> Setup> System if memory serves as it's been a long long time since i used that particular plugin.

msuk
15-09-13, 13:03
Found it :)

There are lots of settings here. Can't see input same as output.

Everything is set to default.

Trial
15-09-13, 13:08
hi,
caution with 3D. No receiver I know supports real 3D with MVC codec. Only SBS is supported by all.

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 4

Rob van der Does
15-09-13, 13:16
There are lots of settings here. Can't see input same as output.
Indeed, life isn't that easy!
See attachment for settings

msuk
17-09-13, 15:51
Indeed, life isn't that easy!
See attachment for settings

Hello,

thanks for the link. It is all in German, which I can't read :( Do you have an english translation? I will try Google to convert the language.

Rob van der Does
17-09-13, 16:15
Just see if Google Translate does a good job.

msuk
17-09-13, 16:32
Just see if Google Translate does a good job.

Will try and let you know how I get on :)

Grinnders
17-09-13, 23:14
Glad you poke the plunge. I've got a GT50 hooked up to my Solo2 and it's great for what I need, and yes the Vix image I am using is soooo configurable it can be difficult to know where to start and WHEN to stop, enjoy

msuk
18-09-13, 11:30
Glad you poke the plunge. I've got a GT50 hooked up to my Solo2 and it's great for what I need, and yes the Vix image I am using is soooo configurable it can be difficult to know where to start and WHEN to stop, enjoy

I have only had the box for 4 days and I am very impressed. The Vix image build 739 is rock solid and the support provided by this forum is excellent! I don't think a paid technical support service could beat what this forum provides. My Solo2 is connected to my Panasonic 3d 50" screen and the picture is crystal clear!

There is still lots more to configure :)

msuk
25-09-13, 10:54
Hi again,

I have the autoresolution plugin installed and when switching channels I am seeing the following message (dependant on channel)

e.g.

Videocontent: 528x576i 25hz
Videomode: DVI 1080p multi

Videocontent: 1920x1080i 25hz
Videomode: DVI 1080p multi

My question is, should I be setting the appropriate setting in the plugin to match what the videocontent displayed? for example, under the SD 576 setting should i be setting it to 576i 25hz

Are all HD channels broadcasted in 1080i 25hz in the UK?

Rob van der Does
25-09-13, 11:50
If you want to do that is really up to you.
If you do, the scaler of the TV will be used (this is usually preferable, as this scaler 'knows' all about the screen handles resolutions). The drawback is the waiting time when the TV has to switch resolution.
If you don't, the scaler of the STB will be used.
It's very likely that you won't notice the difference in PQ between the two options (apart from the waiting time), so it's worth experiencing that yourself.

Trial
25-09-13, 12:02
Hi,
settings matching the channel and a good scaler in the TV might give a slight improvement but at the cost of longer switching times.

I only set AutoResolution for 1080p24 to 1080p24 so that BluRay content is played without micro jitter.

ciao

msuk
25-09-13, 12:49
If you want to do that is really up to you.
If you do, the scaler of the TV will be used (this is usually preferable, as this scaler 'knows' all about the screen handles resolutions). The drawback is the waiting time when the TV has to switch resolution.
If you don't, the scaler of the STB will be used.
It's very likely that you won't notice the difference in PQ between the two options (apart from the waiting time), so it's worth experiencing that yourself.

Hello,

Is my approach correct though? i.e. matching the displayed videocontent to the setting within the auto resolution menu?

I would prefer my 50" Panasonic to perform all the scaling.

msuk
25-09-13, 12:50
Hi,
settings matching the channel and a good scaler in the TV might give a slight improvement but at the cost of longer switching times.

I only set AutoResolution for 1080p24 to 1080p24 so that BluRay content is played without micro jitter.

ciao

cost of longer switching times. = I am new to all of this, what does this mean?

Trial
25-09-13, 13:00
Hi,
when you set AutoResolution so that it always sends the native resolution to your TV the following will happen:

1. switch to new channel with current resolution
2. picture becomes black after a few seconds and resolution is changed
3. your TV shows current channel with native resolution

ciao

msuk
25-09-13, 13:03
Hi,
when you set AutoResolution so that it always sends the native resolution to your TV the following will happen:

1. switch to new channel with current resolution
2. picture becomes black after a few seconds and resolution is changed
3. your TV shows current channel with native resolution

ciao

Hello,

When I set the Solo2 up using the wizard I selected HDMI 1080p. Will the autoresolution bypass this setting or has nothing to do with it?

Rob van der Does
25-09-13, 13:46
When I set the Solo2 up using the wizard I selected HDMI 1080p. Will the autoresolution bypass this setting or has nothing to do with it?
Yes, AR is the boss.

Is my approach correct though? i.e. matching the displayed videocontent to the setting within the auto resolution menu?
I would prefer my 50" Panasonic to perform all the scaling.
Yes, if you want to let the TV do all the scaling, in AR the video-contents should indeed match the output resolution.

msuk
25-09-13, 13:50
Yes, AR is the boss.

Yes, if you want to let the TV do all the scaling, in AR the video-contents should indeed match the output resolution.

Thank you very much! :) I will try and report back!

msuk
25-09-13, 22:21
Hello,

When the plugin is on - a lot of settings are set to default. What is the default setting for each option? Also, if I select HD interlaced mode to 1080i and press ok my panasonic displays 1080i/50Hz. Now if i change to another HD channel the plugin resets HD interlaced mode back to default and my screen displays 1080p/50Hz. How can I permanently set each option?

Thanks
Msuk

Rob van der Does
26-09-13, 03:56
When the plugin is on - a lot of settings are set to default. What is the default setting for each option?
Default means 'adhere to the output resolution in A/V-settings' (so usually 1080i).

Also, if I select HD interlaced mode to 1080i and press ok my panasonic displays 1080i/50Hz. Now if i change to another HD channel the plugin resets HD interlaced mode back to default and my screen displays 1080p/50Hz. How can I permanently set each option?
Please show me a screenie of your settings. Attached is mine.
My default is 1080i.

BTW: It is very well possible that my settings are not optimal; I'm far from an expert in this area.

msuk
26-09-13, 07:57
Hi,

My HDMI is set to 1080i. If I change any settings it seems to revert to default when I go back into the menu. 28960

Rob van der Does
26-09-13, 08:18
If I change any settings it seems to revert to default when I go back into the menu.
Please read this thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?29835-video-enhanced-settings&p=238569&viewfull=1#post238569)

msuk
26-09-13, 14:42
Hello,

So just to confirm, I need to do the following?

1) remove the enhancement plugin? How do I do this?
2) Copy over the new AR plugin and configure.

Msuk

Rob van der Does
26-09-13, 15:31
1) remove the enhancement plugin? How do I do this?
2) Copy over the new AR plugin and configure.
ad 1: If you want to. Pluginbrowser --> red --> extensions --> videoenhancement
ad 2: Or wait for build 744 and update on line.

msuk
26-09-13, 15:33
ad 1: If you want to. Pluginbrowser --> red --> extensions --> videoenhancement
ad 2: Or wait for build 744 and update on line.

ok, so no need to remove video enhanced settings? AR is the boss?
When is 744 out?

Rob van der Does
26-09-13, 15:37
VideoEnhancement and AR have nothing to do with each other. AR regulates output resolution, VE saturation etc.
BTW: best not use VE as there is nothing to enhance (unless using Scart).

744 will be build when it's ready. If you don't want to wait use the AR fix as I suggested.