PDA

View Full Version : Bootloader query and flashing

richardinspain
30-08-13, 15:38
Hi
Just ordered my gigablue quad and downloaded some images ready to try out on it, however i am a little bit confused on what i have read
I have downloaded the following images: Vix, teamred, sifteam, openatv, openmips, pbnigma, openrsi
Can i just flash these to the box with the bootloader already on the box or do i have to change the bootloader for the appropriate image? With my amiko alien i just flashed the image without worrying about which version bootloader to use. Can someone explain about bootloaders?
Many thanks

Stanman
30-08-13, 16:11
You should be fine and no need to update bootloader if your buying box new.

richardinspain
03-09-13, 15:05
Ok took the plunge and bought the quad, must admit i'm impressed with it so far
It came with openmips and i want to try vix..Tried flashing it with 3 pendrives in the front and rear usb sockets but no joy so far..All are formated to fat32 with the gigablue folder in root..maybe a problem with the pendrives as a couple are quite old..The 3rd one i tried is the only one that works with flashing to my amiko alien so i thought this would work..Can anyone recommend which pendrives work as it looks like i may have to get a new one
Thanks

Mr. Mister
03-09-13, 15:39
Use The HP formatting tool to format your USB pen..

Just google it.. and install.. Then run as adminastrator..

then put your image on the USB pen..

worksperfect on my quads all the time..

Please bare in mind.. You have to push the OK button on your Quad.. for it to flash..

richardinspain
03-09-13, 15:44
Hi Mr Mister
I formatted it with the hp formatter, but didnt get any message on the front screen, i'll give it a go with the other 2..When you say run as admin what do you mean as i dont get this option

Larry-G
03-09-13, 15:49
To run a program as a administrator in windows. Right click on the program or desktop icon etc, and click run as administrator.

richardinspain
03-09-13, 15:58
When i right click on the icon i select 'run as' and i only get one option (owner)

richardinspain
03-09-13, 17:09
Ok guys i need your help...Still didnt get anywhere with flashing, as i said before maybe i need to buy another pendrive...BUT now i have another problem...Still on openmips i did a software update via the menu, it said 'unatended software update etc' this took about 30 mins and now its stuck on the 'gigablue presents' screen on the tv and front screen with the red led light...Tried unpluging everything and turning back on but is still the same..I can connect to it though via the router..I did download some picons before hand too..any ideas?

richardinspain
03-09-13, 17:40
Update: managed to get it to work, found a old usb stick and managed to flash vix

spv4u
03-09-13, 17:41
Don't panic it happens to me sometimes when I update my Vix.

First thing turn off the unit using the switch on the back, then back on and see if that makes it boot.

If not you need to complete a flash which you seem to be having issues with, so let me check you have done everything OK.

1 - Download the latest vix image form here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=GiGaBlue-HD-QUAD/) it was 3.0.729 at the time of typing this.
2 - Format the memory stick to fat32 using the tool of your choice HP is good I have used windows with no issues. If you are using XP then you will not have the run as administrator as advised it came in with Vista onwards.
3 - Extract the downloaded zip file.
4 - Find the folder where you extracted your files
5 - Copy the gigablue folder to the root of your memory stick
6 - Switch off the quad using the switch on the back
7 - insert your memory stick in a usb port (I use the front one as it has easy access)
8 - Turn on the quad
9 - the LCD should then prompt about a firmware and you have to press the OK button on the quad (not the remote) and it will begin flashing the quad (the LED will also blink while it is working)

IMPORTANT
The one thing most people get wrong is that they copy the files from the quad folder to the root of the memory stick, this is INCORRECT.

If you open the memory stick in windows explorer you should only see one folder called gigablue, inside that directory you will should only see one folder called quad, inside that you see the firmware files

Hope that helps

richardinspain
03-09-13, 18:04
Thankyou Spv4u
Got it all sorted now..Not sure why it happened, perhaps i shouldn't have done the online update, and because i didn't have (or thought i didn't have) a pen drive that worked for flashing i wouldnt know if i got a new pendrive and that didn't work if it was the drive or the receiver at fault
Still all good here now, phew!
many thanks again

bacon_&_cabbage
17-09-13, 15:27
Do i need to install this boot-loader when I'm installing this image: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?30427-New-Team-RED-v2-E2-Image-8-07-2013-for-Gigablue-QUAD

the box is about 4 months old.

if so what files do I put on memory stick.

thanks people

Larry-G
18-09-13, 17:44
Do i need to install this boot-loader when I'm installing this image: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?30427-New-Team-RED-v2-E2-Image-8-07-2013-for-Gigablue-QUAD

the box is about 4 months old.

if so what files do I put on memory stick.

thanks people

If you want to use the image quoted in the thread then yes, as for ViX I dont think so but I don't have a Quad so im not 100 percent sure about that one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Sun City
25-09-13, 21:07
Hallo,
Where can i see the version of bootlader?
I mean in the receiver's menu

Larry-G
25-09-13, 22:13
Hallo,
Where can i see the version of bootlader?
I mean in the receiver's menu

You can't.

Sun City
26-09-13, 12:57
Ok.
So how can i learn which version is my bootloader?
I m using the latest openvix image.

Larry-G
26-09-13, 14:17
Ok.
So how can i learn which version is my bootloader?
I m using the latest openvix image.

There is no way to identify the bootloader version without creating a bootlog with a serial rs232 cable.

Alec
26-09-13, 15:00
Update: managed to get it to work, found a old usb stick and managed to flash vix

The boxes can be very fussy with the USB sticks, and I had some old ones around 256MB that work the best.

stanley1
26-09-13, 15:57
kingston data traveller has worked for me everytime.