PDA

View Full Version : [ET9x00] How to protect setup on Enigma2?

kunmun23
27-08-13, 15:01
Hi All,
Probably an easy question that's been asked before and answered. However, I did search and couldn't find a clear answer.

I want to pin-protect the settings on Enigma2 to ensure that inquisitive family members do not mess up the settings on my primary ET9x00 box running the latest Enigma2.

I did go to the Menu>Protect Setup>Yes and set the Pin and Protect Services>Yes set the pin

but it doesn't seem to work. Any one with the remote can go and change any settings on the box that they want.

Is there a way to password protect the box to the "root" account so that it always asks for a password/pin to make any changes to the box?

I recall my old TM800HD running an E2 image did have that feature.

Cheers.

kunmun23
27-08-13, 15:02
Is it because I have root/<BLANK> as the box login? If I set up a password, it would work ?

Larry-G
27-08-13, 16:26
There is no real way to password protect the setup in the way you want. Another way is create a settings backup in the backup manager ( blue button > ViX > backup manager ) and use that to restore your setup when needed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

kunmun23
27-08-13, 16:37
Thanks...as I said earlier, I do recall this locking feature in some E2 images (DW?) for my old TM800HD...would be great feature to have in ViX images (in addition to the settings backup option).

Btw, what does the "Protect Setup" option do ??

There is no real way to password protect the setup in the way you want. Another way is create a settings backup in the backup manager ( blue button > ViX > backup manager ) and use that to restore your setup when needed.

judge
27-08-13, 16:41
What image are you using? & where do you see this "Protect Setup" option?

Larry-G
27-08-13, 16:43
Thanks...as I said earlier, I do recall this locking feature in some E2 images (DW?) for my old TM800HD...would be great feature to have in ViX images (in addition to the settings backup option).

Btw, what does the "Protect Setup" option do ??

No idea really as it's not a feature I use my self. you may also find a lot of teams reluctant to employ such lockdown features, as they tend to be used by those offering illegal services as a way to stop their clients from tinkering with the setup.

kunmun23
27-08-13, 16:45
Latest ViX image. It's somewhere under the Menu> Settings > Parental Control settings

Not in front of my box so can update back later tonite.

What image are you using? & where do you see this "Protect Setup" option?

kunmun23
27-08-13, 16:48
Makes complete sense !! Now I recall that was exactly the situation...they had locked down the box to create a dependency and it wouldn't recognize my legit card. Ended up doing a reflash with an open image :p

No idea really as it's not a feature I use my self. you may also find a lot of teams reluctant to employ such lockdown features, as they tend to be used by those offering illegal services as a way to stop their clients from tinkering with the setup.

Larry-G
27-08-13, 16:51
Makes complete sense !! Now I recall that was exactly the situation...they had locked down the box to create a dependency and it wouldn't recognize my legit card. Ended up doing a reflash with an open image :p

Yeah there are some very greedy people around and thats precisely why we dont force users into using preset passwords etc.