PDA

View Full Version : No Video, no Audio, no Subtitles

parkher
25-08-13, 15:49
I just tested my new Duo2 with ViX 3.0 on some video files.
I wonder if there is a more powerful plugin to play video files?

The problems encountered:

1. No video, just black screen: when playing AVC, High 10@L4.0 (CABAC / 9 Ref Frames)
Sure, it is probably a pretty rare thing, I found it in some japanese anime.

2. No audio (not even tracks listed) for Dolby TrueHD.
However, AC-3, DTS and DTS-HD Master Audio - all OK.

3. No PGS subtitles

I installed Media Player plugin - exactly the same, it probably does not perform its own decoding.
I tried also to download VLC - but it seems to support only mpeg 1 and mpeg 2.
VLC on my computer plays all the above files perfectly - that video profile, TrueHD and PGS subtitles. And all decoded internally.

Maybe there is some other plugin that does that?
Duo2 probably has processor powerful enough and enough memory to handle software decoding of such unsupported formats.

Rob van der Does
25-08-13, 17:03
1- The media plugin is not needed for anything at al. And it is indeed only an old-fashioned GUI.
2- The power of the CPU is by far not enough to do video decoding. So it's the same as for all other STB's: only codecs that are in the hardware can be used.
So you still should re-encode files codec in a different way (e.g. with 'Handbrake').
3- The VLC plugin is not the same as for a PC and does not contain codecs (see above).
4- Not sure about Dolby-trueHD. Can you provide me a sample (or a link to one)?
5- What are 'PGS subtitles'?

parkher
25-08-13, 19:08
Here is a good place for samples:

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

For example, with Dolby TrueHD, 39 MB:
http://dl.demo-world.eu/download_hd.php?filename=hd_dolby_bit_harvest_loss less.rar

Dolby TrueHD is a lossless format, sort of an equivalent of DTS-HD Master Audio which is also lossless - but it is supported, also Dolby Digital (AC-3) is supported, therefore it is a bit strange that TrueHD support is missing.

As to subtitles, PGS subtitles are Presentation Graphic Stream subtitles used in BluRay. They are bitmap subtitles, not text, and probably it was too much for me to hope for an improvement in this area. I just tested: VobSub (sub/idx) subtitles are also not supported (as before) as they are images too...

I just hoped that there is a plugin player available that can handle those things internally in software.
But really, even on the LCD screen - only "stutter TV", no smooth TV yet, I cannot believe that there is not enough processing power to have a decent frame rate for such a tiny resolution.

Rob van der Does
26-08-13, 05:35
I've asked VU+ if they are able and willing to support Dolby trueHD in drivers.

parkher
11-09-13, 13:36
I see that the newest update adds support for TrueHD to mkv
Thanks.

Unfortunately, it does not add support for TrueHD to m2ts yet. Maybe they will add it later? Because AC3, DTS and even DTS-HD MasterAudio are all supported in m2ts, only Dolby TrueHD is still missing.
Actually, I hadn't tested TrueHD in mkv yet, all my TrueHD needs currently are in m2ts form....