PDA

View Full Version : Good signal on SD channels and Poor signal on HD

eg4
24-08-13, 16:22
Last week I ve installed an ET4000 for my friend on a fixed dish with 2 LNB's one for hotbird 13E and the other astra 19.2E, on both I can receive SD channels but when coming to HD a lot of them have a poor quality and so the receiver give a failed tune error. This happened again today on a VU+ solo, but this time the dish is motorized with 1 LNB and still I am getting good signal on SD nearly 94% while on HD I get less than 45%. Is it a problem with old LNB's, diseqc switch or is it from the sharing side as both of them have the same source of sharing..... can any one help me out? Thanks.

Rob van der Does
24-08-13, 16:41
Generally HD-transponders require a better dish-aligning their SD brothers.

When you say 'signal xx%' I hope you mean SNR, as AGC is not worth looking at.

eg4
24-08-13, 17:00
Yes SNR as AGC is always 0.

Generally HD-transponders require a better dish-aligning their SD brothers.

When you say 'signal xx%' I hope you mean SNR, as AGC is not worth looking at.

eg4
24-08-13, 17:25
so how come the dish is not aligned when I can get 94% on SNR...

Rob van der Does
24-08-13, 17:33
Depending on the circumstances, such as FEC, the box can make a good signal even when not properly aligned.
When the circumstances are different, a lower FEC and another, more demanding modulation, the box can't get the same level of SNR.

So best would be to align the dish when tuned to a (weak) HD transponder. And don't forget the skew.

eg4
24-08-13, 17:36
And don't forget the skew. What does it mean as I am no expert? sry.

Depending on the circumstances, such as FEC, the box can make a good signal even when not properly aligned.
When the circumstances are different, a lower FEC and another, more demanding modulation, the box can't get the same level of SNR.

So best would be to align the dish when tuned to a (weak) HD transponder. And don't forget the skew.

Rob van der Does
24-08-13, 17:49
The angle the LNB has (turn it a bit in it's fitting). This does not apply to a motorised dish, but to all fixed dishes.
If you have a motor, turn it a bit to the West or East, and see how that angle changes. In a motorised dish this goes automated, due to the geometry of the setup; for a fixed dish this has to be done by hand (a fixed value for every satellite).