PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] HDD initilisation failure help?

icemanv3
24-08-13, 10:16
Hey all

So I have put a 1TB HDD in my box, have tried the "initilisation" option in the menus, the box sits there for a bit then gives me the timeout error, so I dug a little deeper to see what was going on. (Incidentally I have now tried 3 drives, a couple of very old 250gigs I had lying around, and they have all had this issue)

Running VIX 3.0.722

Box recognises the drive on start up

scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA WDC WD10EACS-00Z 01.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

I can see VIX runs this command to format the drive

mkfs.ext4 -C 262144 -T largefile -N 262144 -m0 -O dir_index,bigalloc,sparse_super /dev/sda1

When I run this manually I get this

root@vuduo:~# mkfs.ext4 -C 262144 -T largefile -N 262144 -m0 -O dir_index,bigalloc,sparse_super /dev/sda1
mke2fs 1.42.6 (21-Sep-2012)
warning: 53 blocks unused.

Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Cluster size=262144 (log=8)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
263952 inodes, 244190592 blocks
0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=0
117 block groups
2097152 blocks per group, 32768 clusters per group
2256 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
2097152, 6291456, 10485760, 14680064, 18874368, 52428800, 56623104,
102760448, 169869312

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

So All good it seems, next lets try to mount it

root@vuduo:~# mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /media/hdd failed: Invalid argument

So quick look at dmesg output

EXT4-fs (sda1): couldn't mount RDWR because of unsupported optional features (200)
EXT4-fs (sda1): couldn't mount RDWR because of unsupported optional features (200)
UDF-fs: No partition found (1)

So my next thought is this drive has bad sectors or something

root@vuduo:~# e2fsck -cfpv /dev/sda1
sh: badblocks: not found
/dev/sda1: Updating bad block inode.

11 inodes used (0.00%, out of 263952)
0 non-contiguous files (0.0%)
0 non-contiguous directories (0.0%)
# of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0
Extent depth histogram: 3
50496 blocks used (0.02%, out of 244190592)
0 bad blocks
1 large file

0 regular files
2 directories
0 character device files
0 block device files
0 fifos
0 links
0 symbolic links (0 fast symbolic links)
0 sockets
------------
2 files

So this drive seems clean

But now I'm stumped, does anyone have any ideas?

icemanv3
24-08-13, 11:04
ok so have solved this I believe by changing the mkfs command to this

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

I now have HDD space available, and can record.

Could a VIX Dev offer any advice as to why this is? It could also affect other people when they initialise hdd's and this could be a fix?

Once I figure out the fstab entries I will post back

Sicilian
27-08-13, 13:49
Looks like this is a ViX bug with images after build 720. 720 is fine to initialise your HDD.

icemanv3
27-08-13, 19:22
Looks like this is a ViX bug with images after build 720. 720 is fine to initialise your HDD.

Thanks Sicilian, if you need any further information let me know

andyblac
28-08-13, 10:08
i am convinced it is driver related. nothing in image has change from build 721 to 722, apart from drivers. in this area, but we are investigating the issue

andyblac
29-08-13, 13:07
after alot of debugging, on a remote duo and a 1TB HDD, tracked down the issue, will be fix for build 729, not sure why this has just appeared as the bug has been around for quite some time.
anyway all fixed now.

Sicilian
29-08-13, 13:51
after alot of debugging, on a remote duo and a 1TB HDD, tracked down the issue, will be fix for build 729, not sure why this has just appeared as the bug has been around for quite some time.
anyway all fixed now.

Well done Mr Andyblac, our resident genius :zoom:

dfdream
29-08-13, 14:53
Lads is this VU boxes only...

anyway all fixed now.

andyblac
29-08-13, 16:03
Lads is this VU boxes only...

anyway all fixed now.

any boxes with linux 3.1 or lower.

dfdream
29-08-13, 16:16
Sorry Andy just re-read the posts above with answers...
Just got brand new Quad today.
Putting a new 1TB hdd in it.
I assume WOS send with latest image so will I be able to format drive or do I need to do something else like older image?

any boxes with linux 3.1 or lower.

BubbleBalls
29-08-13, 16:19
I assume WOS send with latest image so will I be able to format drive or do I need to do something else like older image?

Might not be the very latest - do you have a backup from your last one?

Tapatalker

dfdream
29-08-13, 16:26
Well spotted BubbleBalls.. You have being paying attention.
Should have but did a lot of messing around with it trying to get the network going..

Might not be the very latest - do you have a backup from your last one?

Tapatalker

Sicilian
29-08-13, 16:41
Sorry Andy just re-read the posts above with answers...

This issue only affects the VU+ Duo MK1.

BubbleBalls
29-08-13, 16:55
Well spotted BubbleBalls.. You have being paying attention.
Should have but did a lot of messing around with it trying to get the network going..

You done so much research before deciding on the Quad that I could feel your disappointment that the shiny new toy had to go back. Hope this one works out for you. A great bit of kit.

Tapatalker

andyblac
30-08-13, 00:02
This issue only affects the VU+ Duo MK1.

could effect any box using linux 3.1, ie vu solo, vu duo, vu uno, vu ultimo, anyway todays build / update should fix the issue.

thebaisify
11-09-13, 11:44
anyway all fixed now.

Hello Blac

I've got a similar issue where hdd failed to initialise or mount even after formatting and deleting the volume on hdd.

It's strange because it all seemed to work okay some days ago when I was able to record channels though I did not mount it ( I am very new to Duo)

Yesterday, I attempted to convert from ext3 to ext4 ( not sure why I made that decision) and now I've got more problems

1. Epg no longer works
2. Channels have disappeared 'cept freeview and
3. I cannot get back into the server via filezilla

I bought my box from WOS last week so I assume it's been flashed with the 729 Vix build.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

andyblac
11-09-13, 13:43
Hello Blac

I've got a similar issue where hdd failed to initialise or mount even after formatting and deleting the volume on hdd.

It's strange because it all seemed to work okay some days ago when I was able to record channels though I did not mount it ( I am very new to Duo)

Yesterday, I attempted to convert from ext3 to ext4 ( not sure why I made that decision) and now I've got more problems

1. Epg no longer works
2. Channels have disappeared 'cept freeview and
3. I cannot get back into the server via filezilla

I bought my box from WOS last week so I assume it's been flashed with the 729 Vix build.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

try a reflash (no restore), then try to reformat HDD, there is no need to convert to ext4 as it will format it ass ext4 already as default.

thebaisify
11-09-13, 16:07
Ok.

So I take the latest build of the Vix image (735) , put it in a flash, stick it in the box.
I turn off the box and when I turn it on, the box will automatically read from the flash and update- correct?

andyblac
11-09-13, 16:37
Ok.

So I take the latest build of the Vix image (735) , put it in a flash, stick it in the box.
I turn off the box and when I turn it on, the box will automatically read from the flash and update- correct?

not if you have to press a confirmation button, the lcd display should tell you, but yes

thebaisify
11-09-13, 16:42
Sweet!

I'd tell you how I get on later tonite- thank you !!!

thebaisify
12-09-13, 09:41
Thanks all- I managed to get my box up and running again with hdd all mounted and recording ok.

I believe the problem with the hdd started after I updated the vu duo box to the latest vix image.

Not sure what build it came with from WOS but I was able to set everything up- cccam, epg, hdd, etc. However, after I updated to latest vix image on Sunday( 08/09), I realised that I cldnt record any channels even after I had reformatted the drive etc.

I flashed the box last night with the 3.0.735 build and the problem still persisted- I cldn't even get CCcam to work so I chose an older image, 734 and problem was sorted.

I was able to mount the hdd (and usb for swap file), init and set up crossepg.

Not sure what I did incorrectly using 735 but 734 seemed to work okay following the same steps.

I'm so loving the vu duo having upgraded from skybox F3 and blade.

The support on here has been excellent and I'm still playing around with the box to learn more about what it can do.

Thanks to everyone for their support/advice.