PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of installing Linux to my laptop??

Sirius
20-08-13, 12:04
Hey guys I am getting a bit bored with windows 7 now and windows 8 look's rubbish, thinking about installing the latest Ubuntu what are the pro's and con's of this operating system compared to windows 7? Also from what I have seen Ubuntu is not the only Linux os, there is quiet a few so from your opinions which one is the best to go for? 👍

Trial
20-08-13, 12:39
hi,
Linux in laptop might be problematic AS there is some special hardware build in and you need driver for all. Try live Linux first. Ubuntu is quite a good start. I use it as my main system for more than 4 years now.

imho Linux is faster, more stable, still safer and has better multitasking and Software management.

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 4

white_westie
20-08-13, 13:09
Great place to keep bookmarked is Distrowatch http://distrowatch.com/
Good all round resource for different versions and history of where they came from

Sirius
20-08-13, 19:07
yeah I have heard its much faster and more secure, I am downloading the latest Ubuntu now to give it a try see for my self what its like, I have heard nothing but good things about this operating system.

white_westie
20-08-13, 19:39
Linux Mint is also worth a look...
Don't forget to try and get a look and feel for the different graphical windows managers

Conaxthewarrior
20-08-13, 19:48
I agree mircrosofts Windows is getting stale & rather a bore after some 25+ years and Linux is more of a challange etc but Im concerned with antivirus and security protection availiability for Linux. In short could you expect the same overall protection Windows users have when running Linux?

dlmlus
20-08-13, 20:22
Sirius

I,m running ubuntu12.04 LTS

You,ll find loads of help all over the net, And of course the Ubuntu site it self.
Once you get used to how things work you won,t look back.
Tons of apps, Regular upgates(not like windows updates that just bog your comp down)
And you,ll find linux more secure than windows and you can configure it yourself with
a little patience.my comp boots in about 30secs and shuts down in 10 secs.

dlmlus

Sirius
20-08-13, 20:45
Thanks for all the info guys, will give it a bash along side windows first and if it's as good as yous say, if so windows will be getting wiped for good!! 👍👍👍

Flyingpig
20-08-13, 21:43
I started using Linux around 2010 and have not looked back since. I use Ubuntu 12.10LTS which is my preferred option. I dont use the the latest version which I think is 13.04 as I installed that on my laptop and it doesn wotk too well.

Contrary to @Trials post earlier, I found that when I used to install Windows on my Dell Laptop it was a pain installing all the drivers, but when using Unbuntu all the drivers are automatically installed without me having ot do anything out of the ordinary.

judge
20-08-13, 21:44
Try a few different distros out, I'm not keen on the default Ubuntu, prefer Ubuntu Gnome or as mentioned above, Linux Mint.
Easy to create bootable USB sticks so you can try them out, make sure your hardware is supported, wireless drivers & so on are available, all before installing anything.

Flyingpig
20-08-13, 21:44
Sorry for this addition - as I just read your last post.

When you install Ubuntu it will give you an option to have a dual boot function so that when you switch your lappy on, it will bring up a menu Ubuntu or Windows? You will also get an option to size the partitions for each OS so it is happy days, as windows is always there in case I need to bob in and do something that linux cant.

Sirius
20-08-13, 22:00
Try a few different distros out, I'm not keen on the default Ubuntu, prefer Ubuntu Gnome or as mentioned above, Linux Mint.
Easy to create bootable USB sticks so you can try them out, make sure your hardware is supported, wireless drivers & so on are available, all before installing anything.

Thanks I will try a few different ones out, I have just downloaded the default one for now, I'm going to put it on my USB first and see if my hardware is supported.

Sorry for this addition - as I just read your last post.

When you install Ubuntu it will give you an option to have a dual boot function so that when you switch your lappy on, it will bring up a menu Ubuntu or Windows? You will also get an option to size the partitions for each OS so it is happy days, as windows is always there in case I need to bob in and do something that linux cant.

And does doing this not make the comp run slower than a fresh install of Linux?

This would come in handy because it would keep the wife happy, she don't like getting use to change's lmao,

I remember few year when I first got a Linux sat box to replace my sly box, all I got for weeks was (I hate this fffffnn box) haha

judge
20-08-13, 22:11

No, just the first second or 2 it takes to select what OS you want to boot into or if you walk away, the default 5 or 10 seconds for it to pick the default option.
After booting, either OS will work just the same as it did before.

Larry-G
20-08-13, 22:12

This would come in handy because it would keep the wife happy, she don't like getting use to change's lmao,

I remember few year when I first got a Linux sat box to replace my sly box, all I got for weeks was (I hate this fffffnn box) haha

Should not as it will partition a portion of the HDD off for the linux distro, Ubuntu even comes with a program to do this for you which is also uninstallable too.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-with-windows

judge
20-08-13, 22:19
Latest Ubuntu doesn't like my wireless card in a newish Toshiba laptop for some reason, other distros based on it work a lot better for some reason...
Also, if herself likes a more windows type look, Linux Mint would be easy for her to get her head around.
Another interesting one, more of a MacOSX type UI if you are into that
http://elementaryos.org/

Trial
20-08-13, 22:32
hi,
normally driver support in Linux is better then in Windows with some exceptions. very new hardware offen does not have the best driver. You can say what you want the manufacturer preferr support for Windows.

bzw. my 4 year old PC boots in below 10 sevonds:thumbup:

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 4