PDA

View Full Version : cant flas with usb

mickbrush
19-08-13, 20:07
as the title says my box just wont flash by usb I have tried 3 usb sticks that have all been used in the past I have also used several different images box just starts as normal when usb stick is pluged in I have also tried all the usb ports.

I have a nulmodem cable and if I use vu util it can see the box but there is no Vix 3 NFI file available.

The box is running but crashing and wont record I can also ftp & telnet into the box but telnet update fails.

What are my options !!!!!!!

Stanman
19-08-13, 21:10
DO you have any other USB sticks connected?

You could FTP the VUPLUS folder to the root of that stick and than restart the box - not E2 restart but the full one.

It will pick it up and flash up

judge
19-08-13, 21:36
Also, as above, what image version are you updating from? Could be that you need a bootloader update too.

mickbrush
19-08-13, 21:45
no other usb sticks connected and I am restarting with the switch on the back just goes straight to starting and boots up. If I ftp into the box I can see the usb stick with th vuplus folder on it so it must be able to see it.

Larry-G
19-08-13, 21:46
if your on one of the later 3.0.xx builds you can flash directly from the image manager in the image it self.

How to restore flash a image in ViX 3.0 without a USB stick ( all receivers )
Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?28833-How-to-restore-flash-a-image-in-ViX-3-0-without-a-USB-stick-(-all-receivers-)&p=215907&viewfull=1#post215907)

mickbrush
19-08-13, 21:51
Build 721 is on the box

Larry-G
19-08-13, 21:52
you should be able to use the image manager to flash any image of your choice then.

judge
19-08-13, 22:02
Build 721 is on the box

What are you trying to update so? 721 is latest available.

mickbrush
19-08-13, 23:45
I just want to do a fresh flash as im having memory problems

judge
19-08-13, 23:54
Fresh flash, build 720 currently available on http://openvix.co.uk
Have you tried that? although still not sure why you want to downgrade an image build?

mickbrush
20-08-13, 00:04
its just stuck on starting now so im going to need a nfi image

BubbleBalls
20-08-13, 00:08
Are you aware of swap file and cacheflush? You are being vague, of course your choice, but nearly all issues I had with my Duo have been sorted with these.

Tapatalker

judge
20-08-13, 00:09
its just stuck on starting now so im going to need a nfi image

More information please, otherwise impossible to help.
Have you flashed the correct bootloader? If so, which one? which image & build number are you then trying to flash?

BubbleBalls
20-08-13, 00:12
I've had to hard reset both Duo and GB Quad in the past as they were stuck on starting. Waited a long time before doing so to avoid resetting while data was being written.

Tapatalker

mickbrush
20-08-13, 00:19
@ judge it was flashed with the latest bootloader but as i have said earlier it will not read my usb sticks although they have been used to flash images many times on this machine.

BubbleBalls
20-08-13, 01:01
Are you missing the prompt file? Panel should tell you what to do, but if missing you can still do it, regardless.

Tapatalker

mickbrush
20-08-13, 02:00
ok so I have managed to flash the original VU image to the box using Vu util and nulmodem still no luck with the usb so is there any way to get back onto vix 3 without the usb

mickbrush
20-08-13, 09:50
could anyone make me a nfi backup from there box

Larry-G
20-08-13, 10:01
I just want to do a fresh flash as im having memory problems

blue button> ViX> Image manager> yellow button> Highlight the build you want and press ok to download it.

you will now return to the download screen, exit out of this back into the image manager.

Now highlight the image you want to flash and press ok or blue to restore this image.

Should take no longer than 2 minutes to flash the new image.

mickbrush
20-08-13, 10:33
I tryed that and box hung at starting only way I could recover was to flash the original VU+ NFI (it was the only one I could find). Not sure why but my VU will not see the usb sticks when trying to flash. I have tryed 3 different sticks which have all been used in the past I have also borrowed 3 more sticks to try and still no luck. So it looks like the only way I can get Vix 3 back on my VU is if someone makes me a NFI backup from there box using backup util.

Rob van der Does
20-08-13, 18:06
blue button> ViX> Image manager> yellow button> Highlight the build you want and press ok to download it.
OP stated to be on VU's OI; that image doesn't have all this functionality.

ok so I have managed to flash the original VU image to the box using Vu util and nulmodem still no luck with the usb so is there any way to get back onto vix 3 without the usb
Try flashing with nothing attached but the USB-stick (so no HDD, no LAN, no other USB-devices).
Also: when making a boot-log (RS232 --> Putty) you can (hopefully) see where it goes wrong.

Larry-G
20-08-13, 18:35
OP stated to be on VU's OI; that image doesn't have all this functionality.

Try flashing with nothing attached but the USB-stick (so no HDD, no LAN, no other USB-devices).
Also: when making a boot-log (RS232 --> Putty) you can (hopefully) see where it goes wrong.

Actually my post was made when he was still on the ViX image read his reply for proof of that.

mickbrush
20-08-13, 19:47
unplugged every thing and still no go. I will try putty later what exactly will i need to do to log as soon as I turn the box on to flash. This would be a whole lot easier if someone just made me a NFI backup from there box.

Rob van der Does
20-08-13, 21:08
I don't think there is a way to make an NFI-backup.

mickbrush
20-08-13, 21:25
all sorted thanks for trying to those who commented.

judge
20-08-13, 21:32
Have you tried this tool (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45-USB-Format-Tool&p=78&viewfull=1#post78) to format your USB sticks?
Also, are you sure you are downloading the correct firmware for the box, ie DUO & not DUO2 from http://openvix.co.uk

Rob van der Does
20-08-13, 21:33
Good to hear of course, but how did yo manage?

judge
20-08-13, 21:33

beat me to it, glad you got it sorted.
But how?
Might help other users in the future.

tomhick02
27-08-13, 20:59
Well Shxxxt anyway,
I have the same problem but my Vu+DUO is stuck in some sort of loop, cannot flash with usb- tried loading the latest image first and then tried boot loader but box will not read usb. it goes straight to starting on display, then, VU+ duo appears. then displays the history channel.. no picture and pressing any button on the remote just brings up the info channel bar at bottom of screen.
I disconnected hard drive and made no diff. I can connect with DCC. is there any way to do full flash with DCC - afraid to go messing in case I really fxxk it up without checking in here first?
Tom

tomhick02
27-08-13, 22:35
eventually it read the usb , didn't do anything diff to what I had tried,, maybe it over heated or something,, stumped!!