PDA

View Full Version : Replacing legacy coax distribution

gazhay
18-08-13, 21:30
I have a Vu Solo running (nearly) latest ViX.

Main room uses hdmi, scart is fed to a coax modulator with a magic-eye system for round the house.

I'm getting tired of the low quality picture from the modulator, and was looking into a more modern setup. HDMI modulators (dvb-t) are out of the budget for a home system.

I have a couple of xbmc units that I occasionally use with tuxbox to watch my second tuner (fitted the solo with a dual tuner) and that seems to be ok. (xbmc interface could do with work)
Don't think that would work for multiple tvs at the one time though.

Anyone got any advice on distributing HD around a house? I've always stayed away from senders, as I don't want the wifi to be killed.

judge
18-08-13, 22:15
you fitted the solo with a dual tuner?
any way you can instal extra feeds from the dish to the rooms they are used most in?

gazhay
19-08-13, 10:31
If i did that i would need more boxes and subscritions though?
Once you start adding that up, i might as well by a dvb-t modulator at £1000+ as it would be cheaper.

I'm not really looking to watch something different in every room anyway.

I have ethernet and coax to all locations, i'm just looking for something to send an hd signal over either and display on remote tvs.

hifial
19-08-13, 17:41
Get a hdmi splitter box 4 way around £50
You need to pull 2 x cat5 cables to the tv points Get hdmi cat5 baluns which take hdmi over 2x cat5 cables £20 per room you need to be able to crimp terminate the cables but a local IT guy could do that for you.

hifial
19-08-13, 17:42
You can also get baluns that take it over single cat5 around £70 per room

gazhay
20-08-13, 22:31
Cool, i have the crimping gear, pulling the cables is going to be the hardest part.
Currently i have powerline devices for internet in the room with the receiver, which is why ideally i would have wanted it to be carried over ip, but its just far too expensive.

Thanks for the advice.

Clabs
20-08-13, 22:41
I had a similar dilema and while there were work arounds, they were pretty inflexible and crude. If you buy another cheap enigma2 receiver and use the remotechannelstreamconverter plugin you willl be able to share the tuner from your server box including HD and have a full epg. A no brainer for me.

It should work fine over decent powerline adapters.