PDA

View Full Version : Newbee

bv123
17-10-10, 13:12
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about getting the VU+Duo, is it better than the Dreambox 800? and does it need 2 incomming feed for sat? I know this may seem daft, but realy its all new, as I am a convert form cable.

guff daddy
17-10-10, 13:18
Hi Newbee

I'm a cable convert myself - there isn't much of a learning curve.

I have both DM800 (original) and VU+ - the VU+ is by far the better box, much faster than the DM800 and also has 2 x inputs.

It doesn't NEED two incoming feeds, but if you only have one then you cannot record one program while watching another.

xarqi
17-10-10, 13:19
Welcome aboard.
I don't have an opinion concerning the DM.
The Duo has two independent tuners. If you want them to be able to tune services from two transponders (possibly on different satellites) or with different polarities, then yes, you will need two cables from your (dual or better output) LNB(s). If you are interested in only receiving signals from one transponder/polarity at a time, then you can use a single cable and "loop" the two tuners through a software setting.

Stanman
17-10-10, 13:20
Better than DM800 HD on price and most features yes - its dual tuner and costs less than DM, on PQ couldn't say as I have never had a DM800HD. Its a dual tuner but to use it you do not need both tuners connected but than it defeats the reason for buying it, if you have only one feed and do not want to update the cabling, than look at the SOLO.
I would personally buy the DU+ because life is so better having two tuners rathet than 1. You cn record on one and watch another channel.

Stanman
17-10-10, 13:21
lol when I replied there were no responses, in hitting post there are 2 more. Helpful forum or what:D

grtmoby
17-10-10, 13:38
@bv123:

u can go with one feed and configure the second tuner as a loop through this is an advantage over the cable or a single feed box still. to fully utilize the duo potential it is recommended to have have dual feeds connected to it. record and watch different channels on different transponders and so on

lol when I replied there were no responses, in hitting post there are 2 more. Helpful forum or what:D

a hyper active and very friendly in here with all trying to help each other :D

canthackit
17-10-10, 15:52
if you can forgo the the twin tuners and 2 card slots, then go for the DB800 it's different class.

it's my one regret that i sold my 800 and got this load of crap.

regards: canthackit

grtmoby
17-10-10, 15:56
if you can forgo the the twin tuners and 2 card slots, then go for the DB800 it's different class.

u really hate the duo that much canthackit :confused:

canthackit
17-10-10, 19:26
compared to the DB's yes mate, there's no comparision.

better support, better images, better all round performance, the only plus the plus has it runs cooler.

Maxwell
17-10-10, 19:50
compared to the DB's yes mate, there's no comparision.

better support, better images, better all round performance, the only plus the plus has it runs cooler.

Ok as you hate it so much I can offer you £10 for it so you can go back to DB and cure all your woes with the VU

Stanman
17-10-10, 20:18
I'ii offer £11.99

Sicilian
18-10-10, 19:42

:roflmao: you've got to be the first person I read thats prefers the DM800 over a Duo :roflmao:

Can't see how the DM800 have better images, both run on Engima2 :confused:

Maybe you should flash an image, get it running stable then stop messing around with it and breaking it :roflmao:

bassethound
18-10-10, 20:21

I will swap you my unloved TM800 HD for your VU+Duo any day LOL

canthackit
18-10-10, 20:33
yeah but it aint a DB though is it :D

canthackit
18-10-10, 20:38
:roflmao: you've got to be the first person I read thats prefers the DM800 over a Duo :roflmao:

Can't see how the DM800 have better images, both run on Engima2 :confused:

Maybe you should flash an image, get it running stable then stop messing around with it and breaking it :roflmao:

yeah but how many have actualy owned the 800 for them to offer an opinon?

i've had every image avaliable at some stage on my +, and for you to say that the images for the Duo are up to the DB standard is way off target, Gemini and Nabilo as it was then are so superior to anything that's avaliable for the Duo.

canthackit
18-10-10, 20:43
Ok as you hate it so much I can offer you £10 for it so you can go back to DB and cure all your woes with the VU

yeah well that the sort of stupid remark i would expect from the uninformed, offer me a brand new 800 or the equivelent price and i'll take it

richca
25-10-10, 21:47

i agree with canthackit, i find the vu+ to unstable, constantly having to restart it, granted its handy for recording and watching different channels, but they are no where near the build quality of the dreambox, i think for peeps who have had dreambox's first then go to vu+ we do notice a difference in build etc

fortunately i still have both and can compare directly, if you want to be pedantic i would still say pic quality from the dream is still better on both sd and hd

cheers guys

Curious123
28-10-10, 14:33
I just receieved my VU+ Duo yesterday and the first thing the wife said the 'box is ugly'! I have got a clone dm800 and that works great but its really annoying not being able to flash official images. I decided to try the Vu box as I have read so much about it but for now I am reserving my judgement.

notanotherone
28-10-10, 15:31
I just receieved my VU+ Duo yesterday and the first thing the wife said the 'box is ugly'! I have got a clone dm800 and that works great but its really annoying not being able to flash official images. I decided to try the Vu box as I have read so much about it but for now I am reserving my judgement.

its about time you got something new :roflmao:

guff daddy
28-10-10, 19:28
yeah but how many have actualy owned the 800 for them to offer an opinon?

i've had every image avaliable at some stage on my +, and for you to say that the images for the Duo are up to the DB standard is way off target, Gemini and Nabilo as it was then are so superior to anything that's avaliable for the Duo.

Well, I have both and have to disagree. I've been pissing around trying to find a decent image for the DM800 for the last couple of months. Nabilo/DreamElite are out of business (the last Nabilo image was from nearly a year ago!!!), Gemini ran pig slowly, PLi doesn's support my WiFi stick (although other images do), Merlin/OOzoon/others I've tried and all have something unusable about them.

I had NewNigma running for a while and it was OK but CrossEPG kept screwing up, so I moved to the new SIFTeam image (although I had doubts as I remember them as rubbish from my IPBox days) and it was pretty good - including USB DTT support - except every skin they had except the default would greenscreen when going into network setup. I'm now running the new Peter Pan (comes with CoolTV Guide and CrossEPG installed) and it works pretty well, although I've only had it on for a few days.

In the same time on the VU+ (having long used DreamElite) I switched to VIX and then upgraded to VIX 1.1. That's it.

I use the Dreambox for messing about and the VU+ for watching TV.