PDA

View Full Version : SCART output unusable on the Vix 1.1 image + no picture (only sound) on the channels

Drag0nFly
17-10-10, 13:09
I am setting the Vu+ Duo up on an old TV for a family member, and the SCART output (50Hz/PAL) is such that almost all text output is unreadable.

I've tried numerous settings but cannot get the picture quality to improve. As it is now it cannot be used at all as the quality resembles a bad composite connection.

There is no change whatsoever when trying different settings on the A/V setup page.

When comparing to PLi there is a _huge_ difference. Here it is actually readable enough so that things like entering a WiFi passphrase can actually be done on the TV (that is, had the WiFi support worked on PLi; it does so perfectly on Vix)

Another issue I noticed was that when one finally had the box set up and channels sorted out + CCcam installed the only thing you get is _sound_ from the channels! An occasional freezed frame showed up on some channels, but for the most of them (incl. FTA) they remained completely black with sound in the background.

Has anyone else noticed this? I had a good quality picture outputting via SCART on the PLi image (before changing to Vix), but I am wondering if there is something serously wrong with this box!

jjp2701
17-10-10, 13:30
try the vti latest image i am having probs with vix image at the moment so i am gonna reflash with vti

satmanbasil
17-10-10, 13:42
Hi mate

Have tested on my tv with scart and vix image but all seems well maybe suggest a new tv and benefit the high deff picture quality which this box delivers

regards
satmanbasil

grtmoby
17-10-10, 13:44
@ DragonFly:

will try to use the scart output and report my findings

@jjp2701:

what probs are u having may be there is a chance to solve it or let it be fixed in the upcoming releases

Drag0nFly
17-10-10, 14:44
grtmoby: thanks for your quick reply! I am as you probably understand seriously struggling to set up a Vu+ Duo at my mom's place. With PLi the picture is ok, but the Wi-Fi (which I absolutely _need_) is completely and utterly useless (despite setting up wpa_supplicant, reinstalling the enigma2 wireless plugin and modifying the rc scripts to load the wlan + rt73 modules. No help on the PLi forum either...

And with VIX the Wi-Fi support works perfectly, but it has greater issues with the picture. Please note that the TV is only SD/480i capable.

grtmoby
17-10-10, 15:09
can't u connect it using the A/V component (yellow, white and red cables)

Drag0nFly
17-10-10, 15:14
No, the only option is a scart connection.

Drag0nFly
17-10-10, 15:20
btw. the yellow, white + red cables is not correctly referred to as a component connection, it is a composite connection. Believe me, I regretted not bringing a RGB-to-scart cable with me.

grtmoby
17-10-10, 15:24
try to change the skin to SD one

think this will improve the situation if not fix it all

Drag0nFly
17-10-10, 16:34
Were you able to test the output via Scart? I am currently testing on another image (need to get this thing up and running asap). I doubt it is related to the skin, as it has not been changed and the problems show up right after a clean flash of the Duo, whereas all the images I've tested on PLi do not exhibit this problem either (and the setup procedure is much clearer to read when using this image).

Drag0nFly
17-10-10, 17:19
Tried various HD & SD skins on the VTI image and it has no effect on the picture.

Drag0nFly
17-10-10, 21:00
Just to clarify: the problem I am reporting is not caused by a small font--it is the quality of the signal itself. It can be seen as early as when viewing the initial setup (wizard) screens, the background image, basically everything.

This was not the case with PLi or VTI. But I must say that VIX was the most user-friendly image I've used. I will probably revert back to that when these issues are resolved.

sonc
17-10-10, 23:20
This is probably no help, but I use my Duo with scart to a Sony CRT TV and using VIX 1.1. This works fine for me - the only time I got sound with no picture was when I'd put a USB stick in the back and knocked the scart cable slightly out of its socket on the back of the duo.

Re-seating the scart cable properly got the picture back.

Sicilian
18-10-10, 06:27
Scart working fine here. I use HDMI to my main TV, then use a scart to RF modulator to view satellite channels on another TV.

Drag0nFly
18-10-10, 12:21
I think this problem only occurs when routing scart ALONE from the Vu+ to an old CRT-tube 480i SD TV running PAL/50Hz (and having the AV settings set to this). I've had no problems using HDMI, and you modulator probably takes care of the downscaling. The reason the picture itself might have dropped out I suspect could be due to the AV settings page and by choosing a different video type (HDMI/HDMI-PC/YPbPr, etc.)

If this is done (just for testing), and then reverted back it does not work. I saw this exact behaviour on the VTI image, but I cannot remember if I inadvertently changed the setting when testing the VIX 1.1 image (and reverted it, obviously). Did not have a chance to go back and re-try, though.

However, the lack of video quality using the scart output (no jokes here comparing it to HDMI or component, please! ;) ) is very real. There is much more flickering even right after flashing the box using VIX compared to the PLi & VTI images; and also when comparing to the Vantage HD8000S, which I was replacing, the differences were huge. This must be something that has been changed on VIX, since I also recall many people reporting back that the picture looked better on VIX (using HDMI) compared to the other images.

Sicilian
18-10-10, 12:26
VIX uses latest drivers, so the only thing I can think of is maybe its a skin issue.

Drag0nFly
18-10-10, 12:31
This is probably no help, but I use my Duo with scart to a Sony CRT TV and using VIX 1.1. This works fine for me - the only time I got sound with no picture was when I'd put a USB stick in the back and knocked the scart cable slightly out of its socket on the back of the duo.

Re-seating the scart cable properly got the picture back.
It is certainly of help. :) As mentioned in my other reply, the missing picture issue _might_ be caused by the AV settings page not doing what it should, as I ran into this problem using the VTI 2.0 image. btw., have you compared how the output via scart (assume you are using 480i/50Hz in your AV settings?) looks on the other images--orig. sw., PLi, VTI etc.? I saw a marked improvement over VIX when testing all three. They behaved more or less the same as the Vantage HD8000S, so I don't think this was coincidental.

Again, the differences were such that the menus and EPG were blurry compared to the rest; making it basically not useable for (at least) the TV I was testing on (a Philips 32")

Drag0nFly
18-10-10, 12:34
VIX uses latest drivers, so the only thing I can think of is maybe its a skin issue.
I thought it might be a driver issue as well (until I checked the drivers in /lib/modules/2.6.18-7.3/extra/) However, the skin issue has been ruled out (thoroughly). See the rest of my posts in the thread. It occurs before the VIX image has finished booting and can be seen on the initial wizard after flashing, the background/status images etc. So it unfortunately it has nothing to do with skins. Although I agree that a SD skin is vital for use on a CRT TV.

Drag0nFly
20-10-10, 08:41
Has aynone else been able to test this setup running one SCART connection configured as 480i/PAL in the A/V settings towards a CRT-tube television? I know SCART isn't widely used (or preferred) anymore, but there _are_ people still relying on it. Again, this problem is only apparent when using VIX. All other images behave differently, so there _must_ be some setting that has been tweaked to introduce this behaviour.

Sicilian
20-10-10, 08:55
Have you tried doing a fresh re-flash?

I've currently got mine set to HDMI, but tried running a scart lead to tv and still working fine.

Have you tried setting it to RGB?

Drag0nFly
20-10-10, 10:19
Tried re-flashing and setting to RGB. None of the AV settings have any impact on the SCART connection; from what I can determine.

But I to re-iterate: this problem shows up right after a fresh install / re-flash. Compared to PLi & VTI the display looks like it is fed from a bad composite connection, as there is more flickering with VIX as opposed to the other images. The fonts and text are the same sizes compared to the other sofware versions (during the setup), but the quality of the SCART output makes it difficult to read with VIX. It affects the rest of the GUI and main picture in the same manner.

Sicilian
20-10-10, 10:43
I'll check this out with our latest 1.2 build tonight.

silverfox0786
21-10-10, 21:41
possible it a tv issue or the box issue [hardware]

Drag0nFly
22-10-10, 11:05
I'll check this out with our latest 1.2 build tonight.
Were you able to test this with the 1.2 build Sicilian?

Drag0nFly
30-10-10, 16:03
I'm still interested in hearing about this. I could also test any 1.2 beta; if there is a chance it might address this issue!

Drag0nFly
31-10-10, 12:50
Any chance of shedding some more light on this issue? Again, I could try a 1.2 build (but it would have to be soon)

Du Plex
17-02-11, 19:26
I know this is an old thread, but I was having this problem myself and came across it. Audio was working, menus were visible but just a black screen on all channels, using a scart to a crt tv.

Solved it by changing the HDMI refresh rate setting to 'multi'.

Duo now working fine through both scart and HDMI.