PDA

View Full Version : Recording stutter (HD)!

kanwar
17-08-13, 01:14
I'm currently using VIX image 715 on my 2T. All is well and dandy apart from recording on the box!

What the hell is wrong with TM, ffs!

The recording (I record HD) causes the channels to stutter. I have a 750gb seagate SATA hard drive which runs at 7200rpm. I have formatted it etc but still get the same issues.

Is this a confirmed issue and can anyone help with this, please?

abu baniaz
19-08-13, 18:04
You have had recording issues for a long time. You have tried different images, you have bought a new HDD. I am assuming it is an internal HDD. (This is an assumption owing to your post about how to install a HDD.)

There is nothing wrong with the image/drivers that would cause stuttering on HD channels only during recording. Yes there are other issues. If it was LNB/cabling/alignment, the issue would have been evident during live TV. This leads me to believe that it is a hardware fault with your receiver. The sooner you contact your retailer the better.

TM are normally very good with their hardware support.

Rob van der Does
19-08-13, 19:01
1- Did you have the box format the HDD? This is very important.
2- If you experience stuttering during playback: does it always happen at exactly the same position? So just jump back 15 seconds when you experience a stutter and see if the behaviour is exactly the same.

Sicilian
19-08-13, 19:34
Revert back to build 683, until new drivers are released.

mkhan
19-08-13, 20:21
This is definitely a driver issue and not hardware. I've experienced stuttering on Recordings and live TV in the earlier images which I haven't experienced in recent images the only issue seems to be with blank or incomplete recordings made by timers.

abu baniaz
19-08-13, 21:14
Disagree.

If the drivers caused stuttering on live TV, everyone would be complaining.

judge
19-08-13, 21:34
Disagree.

They do cause stuttering on some channels, but again it's random.
Current drivers have sound sync issues & less often picture stuttering issues, but it does happen.
Could be more obvious after streaming playback or certain media file format playback...
However, saying that, I rebooted a TMTwin several times a few days ago when trying to watch a show on CH5 & again on ITV HD. Each time, either the sound was out of sync or if the sound was ok, the picture was jerky.
Had to swap the box out for a Solo2 in the end as it was driving me mad.

Larry-G
19-08-13, 21:41
Disagree.

a set of drivers we had a few weeks ago did exactly that, it was so bad within 1 minute of going to any HD channel that channel was unwatchable even on FTA HD channels.

judge
19-08-13, 21:47
Anyway, back on topic for the OP.
I'd do as Sicilian suggests & revert to build 683 for now or use the 683 drivers on build 720 or 721 & let us know if it makes a difference.
The driver developers are in the UK at the moment so the more detail we can provide them while they're here the better so they can see these issues for themselves.

mkhan
19-08-13, 23:24
They do cause stuttering on some channels, but again it's random.
Current drivers have sound sync issues & less often picture stuttering issues, but it does happen.
Could be more obvious after streaming playback or certain media file format playback...
However, saying that, I rebooted a TMTwin several times a few days ago when trying to watch a show on CH5 & again on ITV HD. Each time, either the sound was out of sync or if the sound was ok, the picture was jerky.
Had to swap the box out for a Solo2 in the end as it was driving me mad.

Channel 5HD is definitely one of the channels effected and a couple others like Sky Sports 1 HD and Star Plus HD.

I've only ever noticed the issue on HD channels recorded and when viewed live.

judge
19-08-13, 23:36
Channel 5HD is definitely one of the channels effected

Channel5 SD is FTA here, so it's not only HD & or encrypted channels, happens on free SD channels too.
The randomness is the pain in the arse to track down.

kanwar
20-08-13, 01:35
This is definitely a driver issue and not hardware. I've experienced stuttering on Recordings and live TV in the earlier images which I haven't experienced in recent images the only issue seems to be with blank or incomplete recordings made by timers.

You have had recording issues for a long time. You have tried different images, you have bought a new HDD. I am assuming it is an internal HDD. (This is an assumption owing to your post about how to install a HDD.)

There is nothing wrong with the image/drivers that would cause stuttering on HD channels only during recording. Yes there are other issues. If it was LNB/cabling/alignment, the issue would have been evident during live TV. This leads me to believe that it is a hardware fault with your receiver. The sooner you contact your retailer the better.

TM are normally very good with their hardware support.

1- Did you have the box format the HDD? This is very important.
2- If you experience stuttering during playback: does it always happen at exactly the same position? So just jump back 15 seconds when you experience a stutter and see if the behaviour is exactly the same.

Hi, I can confirm that the issue with recording also happens with SD channels (sorry, my fault, couldn't test properly before). It seems to happen when I'm recording a channel which I'm not watching at that time.

I flashed the image correctly (have tried both VIX and latest 4D images for the box). This is highly annoying. I don't get any stutter during live playback, at all.

Point of note, I did not do a full scan after flashing image. I just loaded 28.2E VIX channel list and used ABM. Is that OK?

Thanks.

kanwar
23-08-13, 01:46
OK, I've done lots of testing and have currently flashed VIX image 683.

My problem seems to be quite specific.

I get the stutter when I'm recording a channel and watching another. It stutters on the channel not being recorded. For example I am recording something on boxnation right now but skysportsasheshd, sky movies channels and skynewsHD is pretty much unwatchable suddenly. Stuttering/freezing like mad. It is perfect as soon as I stop the recording. SD versions of the channels are also freezing.

The strange thing is that some other channels seem to be fine. Wtf?!

Any help in trying to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

abu baniaz
23-08-13, 01:49
External or internal HDD?

kanwar
23-08-13, 23:18
Internal. 750gb seagate hard drive.

This problem didn't seem to exist before. It was ok since 2am yesterday but is playing up again now. Very annoying.

kanwar
23-08-13, 23:25
The problem occurs with both the 4d image and VIX 683. 4D image did not produce this problem before which makes it more puzzling.

The hard drive was bought new from ebuyer a few months ago. I don't think that is the cause of the problem.

Perhaps one of the tuners has gone faulty on the box? How can I test this?

Thanks.

judge
23-08-13, 23:26
Internal. 750gb seagate hard drive.

This problem didn't seem to exist before. It was ok since 2am yesterday but is playing up again now. Very annoying.

Yeah, very annoying...
However we're currently extensively testing a new kernel & driver & they're looking pretty good.
Hopefully we can get them in an image soon.

kanwar
23-08-13, 23:31
Thanks for the update, judge. Does anyone else have this problem?

It seems to work ok at times and then not. I'm now recording BBC2HD and watching skysportsashesHD and watching the latter is fine. If I record skysportsnews for example, SSAHD becomes unwatchable?!

mkhan
24-08-13, 17:32
Thanks for the update, judge. Does anyone else have this problem?

It seems to work ok at times and then not. I'm now recording BBC2HD and watching skysportsashesHD and watching the latter is fine. If I record skysportsnews for example, SSAHD becomes unwatchable?!

I was testing some beginning of June drivers and I came across this issue. Everything was fine including timer recordings during the day then I would get this issue on a few channels from 9pm at night. A reboot would not fix this issue and it would last a few hours before going back to normal which was strange.

kanwar
24-08-13, 21:39
I was testing some beginning of June drivers and I came across this issue. Everything was fine including timer recordings during the day then I would get this issue on a few channels from 9pm at night. A reboot would not fix this issue and it would last a few hours before going back to normal which was strange.

Yep, exact same issue mate! How does one fix it?

Any further update on the drivers, anyone?

Jigsy99
24-08-13, 23:15
Yep, exact same issue mate! How does one fix it?

Any further update on the drivers, anyone?

As a TM2T user I have rolled back to a earlier VIX image due to a few problems regarding recordings and stuttering on HD channels. If I remember rightly Techomate released a new driver/kernal in July to fix the recording problems but they didn't work. Most TM2T users are using the earlier VIX images from before July while we wait for the new driver/kernal which hopefully wont be long now. Hang on in there the box is worth it IMO.

judge
24-08-13, 23:24
Best to use an older image or an up-to date image with older drivers for now.
If & when we release a build with new kernel & drivers, it will be announced & recommended on the forums.

kanwar
24-08-13, 23:57
I think this issue may have something to do with whether you do a full scan or not when flashing an image.

I'm having the issue with VIX image 683. I'm not using one of the newer images. Should I use one even older?

At the moment, I am using 4D image and did a full satellite scan yesterday (as part of troubleshooting) and didn't get the issue with stutter while recording. However, even the old drivers are not perfect. It still seems a bit unstable and occasionally I get a half second freeze while recording (on channel being recorded and/or other channel being watched).

kanwar
25-08-13, 00:01
As a TM2T user I have rolled back to a earlier VIX image due to a few problems regarding recordings and stuttering on HD channels. If I remember rightly Techomate released a new driver/kernal in July to fix the recording problems but they didn't work. Most TM2T users are using the earlier VIX images from before July while we wait for the new driver/kernal which hopefully wont be long now. Hang on in there the box is worth it IMO.

Which image are you using, mate?

Can you also tell me whether you (after flashing) did a full scan or loaded VIX 28.2e channel list. I find doing a full scan then using built in ABM works best. Please enlighten me for glitch free experience.

Thank you!

Jigsy99
25-08-13, 08:33
I'm currently using build 688. Like you I have always used VIX built in ABM and I set it to scan every morning around 3am and then set the EPG to scan at 3.30am and save it to the USB Drive connected at the rear USB port. Just checked if Match of the Day has taped from last night on BBC 1 HD and it did perfectly. Hope this helps you but it looks like your doing everything I do.

kanwar
25-08-13, 12:52
So you just use ABM and not a lb automatic satellite scan and then ABM?

Larry-G
25-08-13, 13:06
So you just use ABM and not a lb automatic satellite scan and then ABM?

No need to scan before running ABM

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

kanwar
25-08-13, 13:37
OK, I'll try VIX 688 now and let you guys know how I get on.

I don't like using the 4D image as it gives the green screen when PTS is on (and I think live rewind is a pretty big feature). In any case, TM recording drivers need serious work. Even when they are working fine they don't seem stable and give the odd pixellation/semi freeze.

kanwar
27-08-13, 01:31
UPDATE: VIX image 688 gives me the same issue. Freezes every 5 seconds while recording one channel and watching another (channel being recorded doesn't seem to have any freezes).

This is instantly resolved by stopping the recording, as mentioned earlier.

rinaldi1
27-08-13, 09:23
UPDATE: VIX image 688 gives me the same issue. Freezes every 5 seconds while recording one channel and watching another (channel being recorded doesn't seem to have any freezes).

This is instantly resolved by stopping the recording, as mentioned earlier.

I don't think this is a driver issue. This happens to me from time to time but can't go into the reasons here.

kanwar
27-08-13, 17:47
I don't think this is a driver issue. This happens to me from time to time but can't go into the reasons here.

It's nothing to do with what you're thinking.

rinaldi1
27-08-13, 19:37
In that case you seem to have a somewhat unique problem.........bonne chance!!

kanwar
27-08-13, 22:52
I think I might just have to go with a Skybox for now. I can't deal with this piece of crap anymore and I can't afford to buy the VU+duo at the moment.

judge
27-08-13, 23:01
I think I might just have to go with a Skybox for now. I can't deal with this piece of crap anymore and I can't afford to buy the VU+duo at the moment.

It's far from a piece of crap, just let down by the TM drivers & kernel currently included in our ViX image supplied by TM.
Have you tried a recent build of the 4D image? I haven't but it might sort you out for now till we get decent working drivers/kernel from TM.

Jigsy99
27-08-13, 23:50

Kanwar you've seen the posts made by others with problems and you've also seen posts about the new driver/kernel being worked on by the vix team. This box is far from a piece of crap. Your making out that the box is unusable and its far from that. You have catch up and normal sd channels to use while the fix is being worked on. Funny how you compare the TMT2 to a Skybox how's the epg and network streaming on the Skybox these days not to mention the other tuner it doesn't have ....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

BubbleBalls
28-08-13, 00:29
I recommended this to several friends/family many moons ago as it initially seemed to meet requirements of dual tuners/epg/stability etc. this has not been the case. Unfortunately for me a friend took my advice and has constantly been victim to poor standards from TM. New drivers caused new errors - and then some. I feel partly responsible as I suggested the box. I have been able to help because I had one year head start on him - but for a noob, the TM 2t is a brain drainer. It would put you off e2 boxes permanently. Problems that simply should not be there appear, then reappear, and a user has to delve into data way before they should - It kills the learning curve.

Tapatalker

Larry-G
28-08-13, 04:29
I recommended this to several friends/family many moons ago as it initially seemed to meet requirements of dual tuners/epg/stability etc. this has not been the case. Unfortunately for me a friend took my advice and has constantly been victim to poor standards from TM. New drivers caused new errors - and then some. I feel partly responsible as I suggested the box. I have been able to help because I had one year head start on him - but for a noob, the TM 2t is a brain drainer. It would put you off e2 boxes permanently. Problems that simply should not be there appear, then reappear, and a user has to delve into data way before they should - It kills the learning curve.

Tapatalker

I could not agree more with pretty much every thing you have posted. Personally and please understand this is my own opinion, it is not that of the ViX team or World-of-satellite.

We struggled long and hard to get a working TM-Twin-OE image out as at that time the Twin had been on the market over a full year without a proper image or any real support ( again my opinion here ), we spent literally hundreds no thousands of man hours testing and developing for this receiver. we even took a lot of personal attacks from other forums and individuals because we decided to support Technomate but we soldiered on.

The unfinished ViX TM-Twin image was leaked a number of times by third parties for their own twisted reasons but we just kept on going until we were happy that what we had produced was working as we intended it to and for a few short months it was great, but since that time things have in my opinion gone backwards with the driver and kernel support we receive from Technomate. personally i love my Twin and 2T, the hardware just cant be matched for the price but they are badly let down by the drivers and it's currently not possible for me to recommend the TM-OE brand to any potential customer with such inferior driver support.

I have no doubt my reply here will get me a lot of flack from Technomate HQ but it needs to be said and they need to start listening. Hopefully they can get things sorted with the upcoming drivers and kernel and this time maintain that standard without breaking things in a future update, because rite not i dont hold any hope for the brand if they dont do some serious work on their end.

please also understand that my post is not some kind of TM bashing or bitch fest, I really like the TM brand and have several TM receivers including older none E2 models but things need to change and change fast as other manufacturers step up to the plate with their boxes, if TM are not careful they could become a footnote in satellite history rather than the market leader they rightfully should be.

kanwar
28-08-13, 14:15
Kanwar you've seen the posts made by others with problems and you've also seen posts about the new driver/kernel being worked on by the vix team. This box is far from a piece of crap. Your making out that the box is unusable and its far from that. You have catch up and normal sd channels to use while the fix is being worked on. Funny how you compare the TMT2 to a Skybox how's the epg and network streaming on the Skybox these days not to mention the other tuner it doesn't have ....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

It's far from a piece of crap, just let down by the TM drivers & kernel currently included in our ViX image supplied by TM.
Have you tried a recent build of the 4D image? I haven't but it might sort you out for now till we get decent working drivers/kernel from TM.

Tapatalker

I have tried the latest 4D image too. It has problems of it's own, not least a PTS which is completely broken and causes the box to crash and reboot.

Yes, the Skybox features are not as good as this box but it's only £50. I paid over £200 for this box. I expect stable and fully functional drivers from Day 1.

Another problem when recording channels (currently on VIX build 688) is that when you zap away from the channel being recorded and back to it it causes a slight jig which leads to a short freeze/pixellation which is put into the recording as well. Ridiculous. I'm not sure if the 4D image has this problem too. So, basically, if you want something to record properly you need to just watch that. This makes the other tuner almost redundant.

mkhan
28-08-13, 18:08
I agree with Pheonix this an excellent receiver on spec, its a shame it has its problems which is nothing new when it comes to Technomate and linux receivers. Perhaps they should stick to producing non linux receiver in which they are leaders of that market.