PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue purchase ?

doeflax
16-08-13, 21:34
Hi guys, am needing a unit that I can record one channel whilst watching another. Also, and very important, would like the ability to rewind live tv.
Already own the DM800HD and the DM800HD SE but of course neither of these will do the job. Quite like the spec of these Gigablues but what's the best one for my preferences ?
Thanx in advance

Mr. Mister
16-08-13, 21:40
I have never had a Duo2.. But i have 2 Quads..

IMO.. Value for money.. Hands down Quad wins every time..

doeflax
16-08-13, 21:43
Thanx Mr Mister, are we talking the Gigablue HD Quad ? Will that tick all the boxes for me ?

skippie
16-08-13, 21:44
I agree. Quad is value for money.
happy with it from the first minute.
A top receiver.

Sent from my V972 Core4 using Tapatalk HD

BubbleBalls
16-08-13, 21:53
Quad + 1. Ticks all your boxes then some. Brilliant box and brilliant value now.

Tapatalker

doeflax
16-08-13, 21:59
Skippie, does it rewind live tv ? And does it do it with decent quality ? I'm considering getting one from this forum site, does it arrive with a pre-installed image ?

BubbleBalls
16-08-13, 22:16
If you buy from the sponsor they will install VIX for you. It can rewind live tv if you set it that way.

Tapatalker

BubbleBalls
16-08-13, 22:16
Excellent quality too.

Tapatalker

doeflax
16-08-13, 22:21
ok, brilliant ! Thanx all who replied :)

Wizard55
17-08-13, 21:17
Gigablue +1 for me too. Best box I bought to date

M4NIK
18-08-13, 11:35
same moved from dm800hd/dm800hd se
leaves them in the dust
just fitted 2 more tuners
and purchased usb gb lan dongle
best purchase ever

suntan
18-08-13, 15:54
I'm thinking about getting this receiver now and just have a few queries. If i get one with 4 dvb-s2 tuners, can i connect usb dual dvb-t tuner so that i have 6 tuners in total? And does the receiver support the sony play tv dvb-t tuner? (have one already so would like to use that if possible, i'm in Ireland so dont need dvb-t2). Also how stable are usb tuners? Also what is the power consumption like, in use and in standby? couldnt find anything googling.

Thanks

Stanman
18-08-13, 20:54
@ Suntan

In theory you can but there was a driver issue last time I tried it - you could use the USB stick but as soon as a recording kicked it it went dark which was bit useless really.

Not tried it with new drivers

doeflax
26-08-13, 13:22
Bump excuse me guys, if I requested the VIX image with my purchase, would the Quad come with cccam installed, and has anyone used DreamBox Edit for ftp'ing to these units ?

Stanman
26-08-13, 13:24
No mate it would not come with CCcam installed. None of the images come with any cam pre installed but its a relatively straight forward procedure.

I would encourage you to DIY, it might seem daunting but believe me its not and far easier to fix things if you get problems in the future - that adage teach a man to fish is very appropriate for this hobby.

Plenty of tutorials on the site and we are here to help.

stumpey
03-09-13, 08:23
After my VU+ Uno decided to retire itself I bought GB Quad from WOS as a replacement.The quad arrived Friday with Vix pre installed plugged it in connected to the TV and turned on. Normal wizard for setup completed, epg, auto bouquet and cam installed and I was up and running in about 15mins. No problems no complaints great box , quick channel changing and a fast bootup, so, impressed and I hesitate to say I like it more than the Vu+. If you are looking for a new box try the quad great price at the moment colour screen on the front and with the picons showing on the front screen looks great :).
Just waiting for some twin lnb cable to arrive so I can get the other tuner up and running and I will be happy :).

Steve

Alec
03-09-13, 16:12
After my VU+ Uno decided to retire itself I bought GB Quad from WOS as a replacement.The quad arrived Friday with Vix pre installed plugged it in connected to the TV and turned on. Normal wizard for setup completed, epg, auto bouquet and cam installed and I was up and running in about 15mins. No problems no complaints great box , quick channel changing and a fast bootup, so, impressed and I hesitate to say I like it more than the Vu+. If you are looking for a new box try the quad great price at the moment colour screen on the front and with the picons showing on the front screen looks great :).
Just waiting for some twin lnb cable to arrive so I can get the other tuner up and running and I will be happy :).

Steve

I use the VU+ more, because it has HDMI out with 2 Scarts outputs. i use the HDMI through the amp, but run of the mill programs like the news. I only use the scarts, so it is usually the DU. The Quad needs at least another HDMI output. My video recorder has scarts inputs, but I will not upgrade until they can record in AC3.