PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] How good is VIX as a PVR?

mfakray
14-08-13, 23:17
I am interested in EPG and recording capabilities of VIX image, so here are my questions:

1. Does EPG display all the channels in a bouquet and give you ability to change bouquet ?
2. Can you record a program by selecting it from on screen EPG?
3. Can you record a series ( e.g. all future instances of match of the day)?
4. Once a program is recorded, does the system show the name of the program recorded (e.g. match of the day) in playback menu?
5. Can you record one channel while viewing another ( assuming the receiver has 2 tuners and 2 satellite feeds)?

I appreciate any help to let me know the capabilities before I invest in a Linux based box. If there is already another thread answering these questions please guide me to it.

Thanks.

judge
14-08-13, 23:31
Yes to all questions.
Now depends on your budget on the box you choose, some currently work better than others due to manufacturers kernels & drivers provided.

mfakray
14-08-13, 23:37
Thank you judge for quick response. I am leaning towards VU+ Solo2 for my investment. Any concerns about drivers and kernel?

judge
14-08-13, 23:51
The VU+ Solo2 is a cracking box, I do have a few issues with mine at the moment but think it's down to an extremely rare & hard to track down issue.
Got one for my sister at the same time & she has had no issues with it.
Also used a few other previous VU boxes without any issues.
Also, if you look through various forums & posts, I doubt you'd find many problems mentioned.
You coud also look at the GigaBlue Quad, I don't have one, but seems like a decent box from what I read.
Personally, I'd have no problem with buying another Solo2 from the site sponsor.
DUO2 might be an option too, but seems a bit over priced by VU at the moment.

How many tuners do you want? or might want in the future?

mfakray
15-08-13, 21:25
I have 2 satellite dishes one with twin feed to an existing box and one with single feed to a second box. My needs won't grow in future and ideally i'd like to concentrate all in one box. The VU+ Duo2 is very attractive but overpriced for what I need. I looked up GB Quad and with 3 tuners it will cost roughly the same as VU+ SOLO2, so in theory I should choose that over the SOLO2 box, but somehow I am more attracted to SOLO2 than GB Quad.
I have looked at various forum comments and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner. What concerns me about either box is hardware support in UK during warranty period and afterwards. GB don't seem to have any UK office and VU+ have one but not sure of the level of support they would give.

Rob van der Does
16-08-13, 01:23
Warranty is always handled by the retailer. So drop him a note if you're worried about this.
Forumsponsor sells both, as has a good name in the area of customer support.

Tkr001
18-08-13, 06:14
An Ultimo may suit....

mfakray
20-08-13, 21:37
Thank you both.

Chris205gti
23-08-13, 21:46
Sorry to jump on this post but rather than making a new thread could anyone tell me if the Venton 1/2 HD + can also do the above. Thanks

Sicilian
24-08-13, 08:17
Sorry to jump on this post but rather than making a new thread could anyone tell me if the Venton 1/2 HD + can also do the above. Thanks

Yes they can.