i was thinking about getting a 64gb but im not sure if that will be ok

using build 715

mcquaim
07-08-13, 21:16
hello

does anyone know whats the best size usb to use for timeshift
i was thinking about getting a 64gb but im not sure if that will be ok

using build 715

Are you talking about a flash pen? I doubt if they would be fast enough for timeshift but I could be wrong...

leonius
07-08-13, 21:19
this is what i was going to buy.im a bit of a newbie so im not sure what would be best

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iBoutique%C2%AE-Hi-Speed-Elite-Flash-Drive/dp/B0058MTWT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375906723&sr=8-1&keywords=64gb+usb

mcquaim
07-08-13, 21:52
this is what i was going to buy.im a bit of a newbie so im not sure what would be best

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iBoutique%C2%AE-Hi-Speed-Elite-Flash-Drive/dp/B0058MTWT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375906723&sr=8-1&keywords=64gb+usb

Going by some of the reviews on that site it doesn't look like it would be quick enough, reporting it quite slow! I'm not sure what the ideal transfer rate should be for time shift though, somebody else might have this info?

I guess a USB HDD would be your best bet or if your receiver can hold an internal drive then this is the best option!

#### edit ####

Scrap that, only seeing now this is the UNO section! Internal HDD be your best option then..

leonius
07-08-13, 21:57
Going by some of the reviews on that site it doesn't look like it would be quick enough, reporting it quite slow! I'm not sure what the ideal transfer rate should be for time shift though, somebody else might have this info?

I guess a USB HDD would be your best bet or if your receiver can hold an internal drive then this is the best option!

ok thank you for your advice.do you know if because the internal hdd is always on if timeshift if saved to it will it cause any problems to my internal hdd

judge
07-08-13, 22:29
ok thank you for your advice.do you know if because the internal hdd is always on if timeshift if saved to it will it cause any problems to my internal hdd

hasn't caused me any hdd issues, using PTS saved to same internal hdd for well over 2 years.

ronand
07-08-13, 22:32
No hdd problems with me on my uno either and I'm using pts.

mcquaim
07-08-13, 22:38
Like any hdd I guess, if its always spinning then the chances of failure would be higher but modern drives are very reliable indeed so shouldn't cause an issue.

Once your box is in standby though the hdd will spin down however!

leonius
07-08-13, 22:52
ok thanks guys for your help

BubbleBalls
08-08-13, 00:53
I use a 32G stick on Gigablue Quad with no issues. Just checked it and all markings are worn off so no idea of read write speed or make. I think an hr of HD is about 6G so 32 works fine for me.

I did try a few of my other sticks but they were too slow.

Tapatalker

Rob van der Does
08-08-13, 05:54
Using an USB-flash device for recording is never a good idea; an (internal) HDD is by far the best option.
I would only consider USB as a cheap, temporary solution.

The failure rate of an HDD that is 'on' most of the time is much lower then a drive that is quite often sleeping and waking up; it's the latter that really causes failures/wear. All HDD are made for a limited number of start/stop.

andyblac
08-08-13, 08:40
as rob said above, but if you really want to use a stick go for USB3 one they have far faster write speed then those of USB2, but are a price of a HDD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ80-064G-X46-Extreme-Flash-Drive/dp/B007YXA5SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375947541&sr=8-1&keywords=usb3+memory+stick

leonius
08-08-13, 11:14
again guys thanks for all your help