PDA

View Full Version : Duo2: owners experiences

lscolman
07-08-13, 10:26
Hi,

I'd like to gather experiences of current Duo 2 owners.

I'm an Ultimo owner and would like to gauge how the new box is being received in the community, and whether the upgrade is justified.

I've read up on all the reviews out there, and am about ready to take the plunge.

Can I ask first how people are finding the HD transcoding ability of the new Duo 2. Is it also usable for recorded HD material? Can it stream the HD material to Android, as well as Apple devices? Any experiences would be appreciated.

How are the new LCD/VFD screens in use? I see that several people have designed their own layouts. There are reports of the VFD being blurry. Do you find this the case?

Any other major issues. I understand that there is a problem transcoding the current channel, but that won't cause me to many sleepless nights.

What is the new style remote like? Do you prefer the old style or does the new remote work well for you? I ditched my Ultimo remote as it was terrible.

I'd like to purchase a 4Tb Drive. Looking at various threads, there appear to be a few drives that are compatible. Can you post what drive you are using, and any issues encountered?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lee

Rob van der Does
07-08-13, 11:51
See here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?30418-Vu-Duo-2-vs-Vu-Ultimo&p=228701&viewfull=1#post228701) for some thought about the subject.

iko
13-08-13, 11:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kazQcFXxoE

Check my videos on youtube ;)

rossi2000
13-08-13, 12:29
omg the lag on the lcd is terrible.

can that be altered in lcd4linux?

Larry-G
13-08-13, 12:32
omg the lag on the lcd is terrible.

can that be altered in lcd4linux?

Not sure but as said the LCD can only display still images and the plugin LCD4linux is very cpu hungry in creating those images to be displayed on the LCD.

rossi2000
13-08-13, 12:35
ye picons generally are still images. but the lag on that lcd screen in the video is dreadful.

Larry-G
13-08-13, 12:39
ye picons generally are still images. but the lag on that lcd screen in the video is dreadful.

yes the picon is a still image but you still need to add the rest of the data seen in that video such as the tuner in use and the time, the plugin LCD4linux has to add those in then create a still image to be ported to the LCD. personally i still say the LCD is a mere gimmick and one that would have been best left out.

rossi2000
13-08-13, 12:50
if it performs that badly, ye id of left it out.
or maybe if they included a proper lcd display instead of one that needs lcd4linux it maybe better, as i dont see any lag on the quad lcd.

Rob van der Does
13-08-13, 13:19
The quad has no LCD screen; it has a small Graphical-VFD, just like the Ultimo (but far larger) and the DUO2.

And it's not only about picons: the complete picture that is displayed on the LCD is a still picture, with an update rate of 5 seconds.
I'm not sure why that is not fine for the kind of info that is displayed on the LCD :confused:

iko
13-08-13, 13:47
if it performs that badly, ye id of left it out.
or maybe if they included a proper lcd display instead of one that needs lcd4linux it maybe better, as i dont see any lag on the quad lcd.

Those Channels are not FTA As soon as you see picture on TV set you can see the Picon on mini LCD at the same time...
Its very useful and looking great to me :)
And Remember how old this Receiver is !

@Rob
He is talking about Gigablue Quad and compare those two ;) not worth to upgrade from quad to duo2 but sadly duo2 is the best at the moment :thumbsup:

rossi2000
13-08-13, 15:11
The quad has no LCD screen; it has a small Graphical-VFD, just like the Ultimo (but far larger) and the DUO2.

And it's not only about picons: the complete picture that is displayed on the LCD is a still picture, with an update rate of 5 seconds.
I'm not sure why that is not fine for the kind of info that is displayed on the LCD :confused:

the quad has an LCD...

Rob van der Does
13-08-13, 15:17
the quad has an LCD...
Yep, you're right. But it has the same functionality as the G-VFD's of the Ultimo & DUO2.

The LCD of the DUO2 is meant for additional info (but IMHO it's just a gimmick).
And indeed it should have been governed by the drivers, not by a plugin.

rossi2000
13-08-13, 15:22
can you not adjust the update rate?

Rob van der Does
13-08-13, 15:28
can you not adjust the update rate?
Yes you can; 5 seconds is the minimum value.

Just install the plugin; then you can do and see everything (on the preview window).

iko
13-08-13, 15:40
You cant change speed...
as soon as Picture Appears on tv Picon changes on mini LCD, thats how it works...
FTA= Faster change ,Encrypted service= slower picon change

Rob van der Does
13-08-13, 15:45
Indeed: stuttrer-TV speed can't be changed.

But for all other info the update speed can be set.

iko
13-08-13, 16:04
Indeed: stuttrer-TV speed can't be changed.

But for all other info the update speed can be set.

Rob U R a lifesaver :D
Tried my old old Harmony remote works 10x better than original remote :) wow :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

upps wrong tread :)

rossi2000
13-08-13, 16:46
You cant change speed...
as soon as Picture Appears on tv Picon changes on mini LCD, thats how it works...
FTA= Faster change ,Encrypted service= slower picon change

so your saying your tv picture takes the same time to display as the picons on the lcd?
fta or encrypted channels have nothing to do with picons

iko
13-08-13, 17:34
so your saying your tv picture takes the same time to display as the picons on the lcd?
fta or encrypted channels have nothing to do with picons

yes thats right, on TV screen you can see picon as soon as you change channel but Channel is not Clears at the very same time, it takes another few seconds to turn from Black to Selected Channel Picture and Thats the time Picon Appears on the mini LCD ...

FTA Channels change/switch/clears faster=Picon change faster...

I hope that helps :) I do not know why it works in that way but thats how it is at the moment ;)