PDA

View Full Version : duo2 different audio settings

iem
06-08-13, 21:44
Hi,

Can someone tell me if its possible to have digital down mix on over HDMI but off for spdif?

I have the optical connected to an amp so want to watch in dd but also have other TVs connected via an HDMI switch. These cannot decode dd

I do this no problem with ps3 and skyhd so need a solution for the duo2.

Thanks.

Rob van der Does
06-08-13, 22:24
No.
Best way IMHO is always using the amp.

iem
06-08-13, 22:51
Thats the problem.

I have an amp connected to one tv and the others are via an hdmi switch. If i disable digital down mix, the TVs connected via the switch wont get audio. (but i do get 5.1 on the one connected to the amp!!) :(

Rob van der Does
07-08-13, 06:13
So you have multiple TV's connected to one box? The indeed you're likely to run into a number of problems. No STB has some kind of multi-room setup.

Well, in fact you can, using a (cheap) E2-STB for every TV and stream live-TV and recordings from the main STB to each room completely independent.

iem
07-08-13, 08:24
No STB has some kind of multi-room setup.

Except on one of the biggest manufactures of STB in the UK. Sky.

Rob van der Does
07-08-13, 09:25
Except on one of the biggest manufactures of STB in the UK. Sky.
Ahh, OK, I didn't know that.
So you will be better of using a SkyBox then.

iem
07-08-13, 10:53
Ahh, OK, I didn't know that.
So you will be better of using a SkyBox then.

What I'm asking/suggesting is an option to add support for this. Either via VIX or a plugin.

The Duo2 is a far more superiour STB than the sky box and thats why i bought it.

I thought other people may have run into this. Thats why I posted.

Just be nice to have this option - thats all.

lscolman
07-08-13, 10:59
I'd like to second that request. The ability to select what output is sent to Optical and HDMI would be fantastic.

I output HDMI to my Plasma which has to be downmixed to 2 channel audio.

I output Optical to my AV Amp which has to have downmixing switched off to get Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio.

I have to go to Audio menu to change the downmix settings depending on whether I'm using TV speakers or AV Amp.

This would be a tremendous addition to the ViX image.

Cheers, Lee

Trial
07-08-13, 11:21
Hi,
it is beyond the reach of any image builder beside VU+. This wish is almost as old as the DUO1. Try to write a bug report at www.vuplus.com perhaps it changes in the future.

ciao

lscolman
07-08-13, 11:26
Thanks, I've posted my bug report.

Rob van der Does
07-08-13, 11:36
Good to see you asked VU+ for that.

As far as I can see, different audio outputs to HDMI & SPIF/DIF is hardware wise not possible (but of course I can be wrong).
What should be possible however, as it seems to be driver-related, is always having stereo-output (i.e. downmixed) on the red/white cinch connectors, irrespective of the status of the downmix switch.

lscolman
07-08-13, 11:43
Hmm, you may have something there. My Panasonic plasma is a professional unit and so you can add tuner boards. I'll see what's possible. Hadn't thought about using the cinch connectors.

Cheers, Lee

Rob van der Does
07-08-13, 11:47
No, sorry: this stereo-option is not yet available. VU+ should adapt their drivers to support that. They have been asked for that (ages ago).

iem
07-08-13, 15:34
I'd like to second that request. The ability to select what output is sent to Optical and HDMI would be fantastic.

I output HDMI to my Plasma which has to be downmixed to 2 channel audio.

I output Optical to my AV Amp which has to have downmixing switched off to get Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio.

I have to go to Audio menu to change the downmix settings depending on whether I'm using TV speakers or AV Amp.

This would be a tremendous addition to the ViX image.

Cheers, Lee

Glad I'm not the only one with this request. It's not unreasonable. I've been doing this with the PS3 and skybox for years.

Hi,
it is beyond the reach of any image builder beside VU+. This wish is almost as old as the DUO1. Try to write a bug report at www.vuplus.com perhaps it changes in the future.

ciao

I posted my bug report last night. Just hope they listen. :thumbsup:

Nitemare
19-08-13, 12:29
I posted my bug report last night. Just hope they listen.

I've JUST done the same!!!! :thumbsup:

Nitemare

Nitemare
29-08-13, 10:51
Update driver
20130829(duo)
- Fix AC3 sound problem

http://code.vuplus.com/gitweb/?p=vuplus_openembedded;a=commit;h=c788445c09e7cb70 96665ac409b57dbe7f41690b

NOTE is says Duo .... wonder if this fix can be used on the issue on Duo 2 as well??? :confused:

Rob van der Does
29-08-13, 12:28
No, a driver for one box can't be used for another.

But what is the issue on the DUO2 then? I didn't experience any, nor did I read about it.
For the DUO there was a much reported problem.

Nitemare
29-08-13, 12:35
When viewing via my AV amplifier audio is in PCM rather than changing automatically to Dolby Digital (via HDMI) ... remedied by pressing Audio option and de-selecting Downmix option

and .... conversley when viewing in TV in bedroon I have no sound unless Downmix option IS selected

My amp has both HDMI & SPDIF optical inputs connected from the Vu box ...

I was hoping a Driver Update could enable DD automatically via HDMI ..??

Rob van der Does
29-08-13, 15:19
Well, this is the very first time I hear about this (but of course I may have missed something). And an unknown problem won't be fixed.
And I can't confirm it myself: I never have any problem with AC3.

Do you have the option to try another amp? It might be an incompatibility issue with yours.

Nitemare
29-08-13, 15:43
Tried another amp same issue i'm afraid ....

I notice on the S*y boxes the new software now on the Amstrad 2TB version allows for indiviual selection of how DD is transmitted either HDMI or Optical ...

I've sent a report to Vu to see if they can work a fix???

Rob van der Does
29-08-13, 16:57
Well, again: this is the very first time I ever heard about this. And of course any issue has to be reproducible to be able to fix it.
So not sure .....

Trial
29-08-13, 19:47
Hi Rob,
this wish is quite old. Different output for HDMI and S/P-DIF because a lot of TVs, connected via HDMI, have no sound with downmix off and some people want to be able to simply switch on their AVR to have AC3 via S/P-DIF.

ciao

Nitemare
29-08-13, 20:32
this wish is quite old. Different output for HDMI and S/P-DIF because a lot of TVs, connected via HDMI, have no sound with downmix off and some people want to be able to simply switch on their AVR to have AC3 via S/P-DIF.

EXACTLY!!! :thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
29-08-13, 21:14
Ahh, OK, I only know about the wish that the stereo-connection (red & white cinch) always have sound.

Anyway: that has nothing to do with the fix for the DUO (loss of sound) that today's driver is supposed to bring.