PDA

View Full Version : Why do some of HD channels come in small screen?

runmo
15-10-10, 17:25
Some programs from HD channels come in small box (4/3) , i mean not full screen and the others come in full screen (16/9) , and some switches from full to small. I can't strech them neather?
The same channel in digital quality, opens in 16/9 as it should.

Does anyone has idea why? Can this be resolved on the vu+ duo?

regards
runmo

hifial
15-10-10, 20:52
It's to do with the broadcaster upscaling old content eg channel 4HD show Friends which was 4:3 native so they just upscale the 4:3 image, so as far as the duo is concerned it is a 16:9 channel it just happens to have 2 black bars down each side of the image . Your TV may have some aspect ratios to stretch the image but this will distort the aspect ratio!

Hope this makes sense

silverfox0786
17-10-10, 00:47
if it bugs you that much you can go to the setting on the vu and change that i'm on vix and its under menu/setup/system/avsettings then where it says 'display 4:3 conent as' change it to just scale.

As above post it will distort the image a bit by streching it but if 4:3 bugs you that much then the streching wont.

Tkr001
17-10-10, 05:03
if it bugs you that much you can go to the setting on the vu and change that i'm on vix and its under menu/setup/system/avsettings then where it says 'display 4:3 conent as' change it to just scale.

As above post it will distort the image a bit by streching it but if 4:3 bugs you that much then the streching wont.

It won't make any difference if the broadcaster has encapsulated the 4:3 content as 16:9 complete with black bars as it is a 16:9 stream being received.

silverfox0786
17-10-10, 12:56
It won't make any difference if the broadcaster has encapsulated the 4:3 content as 16:9 complete with black bars as it is a 16:9 stream being received.

ok i see although with just strech and myself i always get the small screen streching away the bars

Maxwell
17-10-10, 19:42
Thats because there is nothing to stretch, your av equipment and TV see it as a 16/9 signal and dont know what to do with it other than just display it as it is, even if you try to tell your kit otherwise it will ignore you because it cannot see the black bars as they are contained within the picture info at 16/9.

hz14
24-12-16, 18:35
I dont think the answers given here are accurate. If the broadcaster is transmitting a 16:9 image encapsulated with black bars, then you would see the channel logo over the black bars and not locatedunside the 4:3 image. My receiver Xtrend ET8500 suffer from the same problem, where channel 4 hd displays 4:3 and normal channle 4 displays the same program in 16:9. The channel logo in the hd channel is inside the picture and not on the black bars, so that indicates the picture has not been stretched by the broadcaster and its an av equipment setup issue.

Ashley69
24-12-16, 18:39
I dont think the answers given here are accurate. If the broadcaster is transmitting a 16:9 image encapsulated with black bars, then you would see the channel logo over the black bars and not locatedunside the 4:3 image. My receiver Xtrend ET8500 suffer from the same problem, where channel 4 hd displays 4:3 and normal channle 4 displays the same program in 16:9. The channel logo in the hd channel is inside the picture and not on the black bars, so that indicates the picture has not been stretched by the broadcaster and its an av equipment setup issue.

The thread is from 6 years ago so I'm not sure it's relevant now.
:confused:

adm
24-12-16, 19:09
The thread is from 6 years ago so I'm not sure it's relevant now.
:confused:

It is. The broadcasters still transmit some older 4:3 content as 16:9 by first 'inserting' the black bars either side of the picture before it is transmitted.

Rob van der Does
25-12-16, 21:57
You'll have to complain at your provider....
In he mean time:have a play with the pillar-box & letterbox settings; on some services that helps.

Larry-G
26-12-16, 07:18

The answer would be the same today as it was then, this is a issue created by your TV provider and only they can properly address it, all we can do as users is stretch the picture using the options as given by rob above.