PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Swap Manager Error

chaser
01-08-13, 23:18
Hi,

I know it's probably not necessary to have a swap file on the Duo2, but when trying to set it up I get a warning in the Swap Place and it won't let me activate it:

On my other VU boxes I have the full 96MB swap file stored on my external USB stick. On the VU Duo2 I have a 4tb ext4 HDD mounted as /media/hdd and a 16gb vfat USB stick mounted as /media/usb. I've tried a couple of different USB sticks, but I still get the same error.

Running ViX 3.0 build 710. Any ideas?

Larry-G
01-08-13, 23:51
using a swap file where none is needed actually decreases the performance of the receiver and its in no way needed with the duo2.

MeeŽkat
02-08-13, 04:07
using a swap file where none is needed actually decreases the performance of the receiver and its in no way needed with the duo2.

I dont think you have fully answered chasers question with this tho have you

Rob van der Does
02-08-13, 05:34
An Ext 2/3/4 format is needed, so on your sticks it won't work.

And as Pheonix advised: don't use swap on a DUO2.

Sicilian
02-08-13, 05:35
The device must be formatted ext, not vfat that your creating the swap file on.

chaser
02-08-13, 06:45
The device must be formatted ext, not vfat that your creating the swap file on.

Odd. The vfat format works fine with the Swap on my other boxes. I'll try Ext format later today when I'm back at my box.

I appreciate that it's not advisable to use the swap option, but i don't like seeing errors on my box. It looks like the warning message is actually being truncated on screen. Is there any way to find out what the warning actually says?

Sicilian
02-08-13, 06:51
ViX swap manager will not allow a swap on any device that is vfat :trustme:

chaser
02-08-13, 07:10
ViX swap manager will not allow a swap on any device that is vfat :trustme:

Odd. So how does it seem to be working fine on my Ultimo (and all my other VU boxes) with my USB formatted vfat...

Sicilian
02-08-13, 07:15
Strange, as it shouldn't create it.

Larry-G
02-08-13, 07:20
Odd. So how does it seem to be working fine on my Ultimo (and all my other VU boxes) with my USB formatted vfat...

again just my opinion here but you should not be using a swap file with the ultimo either, only boxes with relatively low memory need a swap file and even then not all do. personally i would only recommend a swap file for the Duo and Solo and other similar spec boxes and only then if they are showing the need for one. i dont use a swap file for my duo's and they work great without it.

Sicilian
02-08-13, 07:28
Just tried creating swapfile using latest build 711.

Blue button > ViX > Swap manager.

Tested on a Solo2 with only a USB stick connected formatted FAT32. I get the message on the attached screenshot.

Duo2, with internal HDD and USB stick FAT32, will not even give the option to create on the USB stick.

Larry-G
02-08-13, 07:32
It does not even give me the option of creating one on my USB stick in the solo2 which is vfat but works fine on the HDD which is ext4.

chaser
02-08-13, 07:45
It does not even give me the option of creating one on my USB stick in the solo2 which is vfat but works fine on the HDD which is ext4.

ok. getting a little bit OT here, but perhaps I should give you a bit more info :)

I first set up the swap feature a couple of years ago on my Duo when I was having freeze / crash problems with it. Back then I was having trouble getting the swap to initialize, and found a post on the net with an already created swap file, and instructions to copy this onto the USB. This worked for me, and is how I've created the swap file ever since (until yesterday with my Duo2)!

Given your feedback, it is likely that the reason I was having problems creating a swap back on my original Duo was due to the fact that the USB would have been formatted vfat.

I'm pretty sure I was getting the same Swap error on the Duo2 with only my internal (ext formatted) HDD installed (without the USB plugged in), but I'll double check that when I get access to the box again.

Whilst I appreciate that it's not necessary to have the swap file on the Duo2, can anyone else confirm that they can get it running on the Duo2?

Larry-G
02-08-13, 07:49
Whilst I appreciate that it's not necessary to have the swap file on the Duo2, can anyone else confirm that they can get it running on the Duo2?

my last reply but ill just say that not only is it not necessary to use a swap file on the duo2 but it will affect performance and slow your receiver down the same is true for the ultimo, swap files are handy but if used when not needed they will make things worse not better.

chaser
02-08-13, 07:53
my last reply but ill just say that not only is it not necessary to use a swap file on the duo2 but it will affect performance and slow your receiver down the same is true for the ultimo, swap files are handy but if used when not needed they will make things worse not better.

I hear you, and will remove them and see how the boxes perform... but I'd still like to resolve the problem I'm currently having and at least get the swap option available to me.

Sicilian
02-08-13, 07:57

If you've manually created a swap on HDD delete it and reboot.

Press Blue button > ViX > Swap Manager > Press blue to create > Select the HDD an press ok, then wait for it to be created. Once created press yellow to autostart, then press green to start, but as already pointed out, pointless exercise on a unit with 2GB Ram.

Larry-G
02-08-13, 07:57
There is nothing wrong with the swap manager when using correctly formatted media, it activates fine on my solo2 using the internal EXT4 formatted HDD but does not give the option to use the USB stick which is not correctly formatted for its use, exactly as it is designed to do.

chaser
02-08-13, 08:05
Ok, quick update. I have completely removed my USB stick from my Duo2, and only have the ext4 HDD plugged in, and I'm still getting the same warning and inability to create a swap. I've rebooted the box, and get the same warning. Next step will probably be a re-install.

Larry-G
02-08-13, 08:09
was the HDD initialized by the Duo2 or another box / method ??.

chaser
02-08-13, 08:14
If you've manually created a swap on HDD delete it and reboot.

Press Blue button > ViX > Swap Manager > Press blue to create > Select the HDD an press ok, then wait for it to be created. Once created press yellow to autostart, then press green to start, but as already pointed out, pointless exercise on a unit with 2GB Ram.

USB stick removed, and no swap file on the HDD. Box rebooted, and still get the warning, and it doesn't let me create any swap when I press the blue button.

was the HDD initialized by the Duo2 or another box / method ??.

Yes, it was initialized by the DUo2 ViX image.

Sicilian
02-08-13, 08:38
Turn on logs, reboot and go through the process again. Then post your log.

Rob van der Does
02-08-13, 08:44
For your information: I just created and enabled a swapfile on both the internal HDD and an USB-stick using the ViX Swap-manager (DUO2 on build 711).

And I deleted them again ....

pooface
02-08-13, 15:36
chaser, you mention that you have the same error message show with just the hdd ext4 connected... Did you try manually creating a swap on here?!

Could it possibly be a problem with 4tb drive not allow swap as well? What happens if you create 2 x 2tb partitions, and then try to create a swap file on one of the partitions?

chaser
02-08-13, 18:25
Turn on logs, reboot and go through the process again. Then post your log.

swapfile removed from both HDD & USB & box rebooted. See attached log... 27724

For your information: I just created and enabled a swapfile on both the internal HDD and an USB-stick using the ViX Swap-manager (DUO2 on build 711).

And I deleted them again ....

Thanks. This narrows the problem down to my install. I've just updated to 711, but still seeing the same problem.

chaser, you mention that you have the same error message show with just the hdd ext4 connected... Did you try manually creating a swap on here?!

Could it possibly be a problem with 4tb drive not allow swap as well? What happens if you create 2 x 2tb partitions, and then try to create a swap file on one of the partitions?

Could well be. I'll disconnect the HDD next and see if that makes any difference. Failing that, I'll try a full reflash.

Update: Removed HDD, and the word 'Warning' has now disappeared from the 'Swap Place' location. The blue button icon now also has the word 'Create' next to it. If I press that, I now get the error that no suitable devices exist. Next action is to create two 2tb partitions, and see if that makes any difference. It is starting to look like it is possibly a 4tb drive issue. As an aside, with the HDD removed I can now also manually copy the pre-created swapfile to my vfat USB stick, and it works again!

Thanks all for your help so far! I know that some of you feel this is a pointless exercise, but I don't like having unknown faults on my box - as this may imply a more significant underlying issue.

chaser
02-08-13, 19:04
Re-initialized HDD, but still getting the same Warning. Can't find any easy way to partition the drive from the ViX image. Any ideas how I can go about this?

In the interim I'll try to partition the drive on my Windows PC and see if that gives me two logical drives which I can initialize thru ViX.

Rob van der Does
02-08-13, 19:57
Why all the fuzz if the box won't need it anyway :confused:

chaser
02-08-13, 20:06
As I said previously, I wanted to understand what the problem was, in case it was going to affect anything else in my box.

As it turns out, this may well be the case. A 4tb drive doesn't appear to work terribly well with the swap file function, so this has probably not been tested before (including boxes where the swap function may be more appropriate?). Have any other HDD functions been tested on a 4tb drive? I don't want to start running into problems with recordings not working as the HDD gets filled. I'm happy to be the guinea pig and support development, but I get the feeling that some of the mods and testers aren't too interested, and are quite dismissive.

pooface
02-08-13, 20:39
As I said previously, I wanted to understand what the problem was, in case it was going to affect anything else in my box.

As it turns out, this may well be the case. A 4tb drive doesn't appear to work terribly well with the swap file function, so this has probably not been tested before (including boxes where the swap function may be more appropriate?). Have any other HDD functions been tested on a 4tb drive? I don't want to start running into problems with recordings not working as the HDD gets filled. I'm happy to be the guinea pig and support development, but I get the feeling that some of the mods and testers aren't too interested, and are quite dismissive.

I think you'll find that a lot of the mods are of the thinking why bother if it's not gonna add anything to it... For example, your extractor hood works perfectly well with most food cooked on it. Then, if you were to buy an ultra thick filter to include with it, and cook lots of really heavy food that will make a lot of mess, and find that the extractor doesn't work, would you complain?! Or think to yourself that it's your fault for doing that combination for no point, just for the sake of it?!

As I've said, it could well be the hdd that is at fault?! This is looking more likely to be so, but afaik, none of the team have a 4tb hdd yet to test with...

As for partitioning the drive, this is not done through any of the menus in the image, but is done manually by yourself through telnet. Connecting the drive to windows, and then re-initialising in vix will be pointless, as you will just clean the partitions when initialising...

Here is a how to when I did it many moons ago:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?344-Common-used-Unix-Linux-telnet-commands&p=34427&viewfull=1#post34427

By all means try this, and see if it works (you will loose anything recorded to the hdd). But, please don't be dismissive. Mods have tried helping you in this fruitless objective for the reason you are doing it... If it does proove issues with swap on 4tb paritions, then all well and good...

chaser
02-08-13, 23:15
Ok. My final post on this - since all I seem to be doing is getting everyones back up. The 4tb drive is not fully compatible with the current ViX software (at least with the swap feature) on a couple of different VU+ boxes that I've tried. I finally managed to get the drive partitioned into <2tb sections, but that didn't make any difference. If I discover any other incompatibilities, I'll post in a new thread. Thank you to those who have assisted. Please close this thread.

BTW, the dual S2 tuners don't half run hot on these boxes!