PDA

View Full Version : Pointless update?

bobbyduke
29-07-13, 22:11
A question why are the updates out so quick? surley these are not beta tested correctly latest vix release will do the first few timers correctly then the boxes crashes, future timers record blank screens and other channels viewed then freeze and stutter then the box starts to reboot when recordings start, or records the first few minutes only. Is this fixable and can we beta test these updates better instead of throwing rubbish on the net.

Thanks Bob.

Larry-G
29-07-13, 22:53
A question why are the updates out so quick? surley these are not beta tested correctly latest vix release will do the first few timers correctly then the boxes crashes, future timers record blank screens and other channels viewed then freeze and stutter then the box starts to reboot when recordings start, or records the first few minutes only. Is this fixable and can we beta test these updates better instead of throwing rubbish on the net.

Thanks Bob.

We dont just "throw rubbish on the net", if you read the changelogs you will see exactly what has been included in the images. as for the problems you have highlighted they have nothing what so ever to do with the image but are driver related and as such only Technomate can fix those, so complain to Technomate maybe they will so something about it.

For the record we have a classification system in place for image releases ie the red and green flashing icons.

Green = stable.
Red = unstable, with mainly minor updates.

where major changes have been made we will hold back on releasing builds for internal testing prior to release, personally i update every single one of my seven receivers as soon as a new image hits the download server and only rarely does this go wrong but we also plan for those occasions and thats exactly why we created the automatic backup procedure during a online update.

bobbyduke
29-07-13, 23:04
Really its technomate, the dealer i brought this box from tells me he spoke to the technomate main boss today and the boss claims the latest update has these issues fixed which is rubbish. What is in it for Vix team to support a box like this when the box maker does not make the box properly in the first place, its clearly seen this box lacks ability same a sh4 boxes trying to run e2, maybe i will speak to technomate see if he can install spark systems on there boxes as this seems more stable now.

This is a major fault if the drivers are faulty anyone who buys this box has the right to return if within warranty i suggest.

Thanks for the heads up and hard work it confirms i need to seen the box back now. Is there any e2 box that funtions properly without 28.2east judder or failed timers etc?

Many thanks Bob.

bobbyduke
29-07-13, 23:08
Also you say stable is green? then this mean no timers faults so i will try one of them because if this fault is in every tm twin image then there is no such thing as a stable image as yet.

Sorry if this offends anyone but i always says how it is.

mkhan
29-07-13, 23:09
This is definately a TM driver issue if you downgrade drivers its a lot more stable. The new driver releases from TM seem to be getting worser and worser recently. Rather than fixing the timer recording issue it seems to be creating other problems.

I hope TM fix this soon else it will be another failed box like the TM600/TM800 and people will lose trust in them.

bobbyduke
29-07-13, 23:13
Thanks for the info mkhan, this is a disgrace from such a big box maker. I have an old dm800hd years old running rings round this tm twin i paid 200notes for.

What are the best drivers to have in the images and are they worth me putting in?

Thanks Bob.

Larry-G
29-07-13, 23:15
Really its technomate, the dealer i brought this box from tells me he spoke to the technomate main boss today and the boss claims the latest update has these issues fixed which is rubbish.

If you are unhappy with the receiver you should contact your supplier.

What is in it for Vix team to support a box like this when the box maker does not make the box properly in the first place,

Nothing, we are a group of amateur enthusiasts who do what we do for fun and our own personal enjoyment and most importantly for FREE.

its clearly seen this box lacks ability same a sh4 boxes trying to run e2, maybe i will speak to technomate see if he can install spark systems on there boxes as this seems more stable now.

I'm not going to get into the whole sh4 vs boradcom arguments, there are plenty of forums where you can go to vent your self with regards to that topic but here is not one of them

This is a major fault if the drivers are faulty anyone who buys this box has the right to return if within warranty i suggest.

As i said if you are unhappy with the receiver then please contact your supplier, we just produce the images not the hardware or drivers.

Thanks for the heads up and hard work it confirms i need to seen the box back now. Is there any e2 box that funtions properly without 28.2east judder or failed timers etc?

Many thanks Bob.

just about every other Broadcom based receiver will do what you want, I have five different Vu+ receivers and none of them have such issues.

Larry-G
29-07-13, 23:18
Also you say stable is green? then this mean no timers faults so i will try one of them because if this fault is in every tm twin image then there is no such thing as a stable image as yet.

we worked for over 6 months to get the initial TM images ready for release and when they were released they worked just fine, however since then the drivers in my opinion have deteriorated and thats where the current issues lie, we have no control over driver related issues thats only something that Technomate can fix.

bobbyduke
29-07-13, 23:21
Sorry to get your backup pheonix i know you guys work hard for free, you are correct it is the supplier fault who told me this was the box to have for twin tuner perfect recordings which is the main thing i asked for, i suggested buying the vu solo 2 from him but he said the tm twin was better. Its from a large business seller so the box will be going back.

Sorry im just a little cheesed off.

Will a Vu+duo work flawlessly?

Thanks Bob.

bobbyduke
29-07-13, 23:28
we worked for over 6 months to get the initial TM images ready for release and when they were released they worked just fine, however since then the drivers in my opinion have deteriorated and thats where the current issues lie, we have no control over driver related issues thats only something that Technomate can fix.

Thanks for the info pheonix, so is there a back dated image that will work well on the tm twin from 6months ago is so can you point me to it? i only require crossepg for decent epg and stable timers and recordings the thrilly extras tsmedia etc i have other boxes i can stick them on.

Thanks Bob.

Larry-G
29-07-13, 23:45
Sorry to get your backup pheonix i know you guys work hard for free,

I fully understand your cheesed off especially as you put down your hard earned cash for a receiver that is not doing what you would expect as the basics but were just a image team who support the receiver in our free time so it is unfair to have a go at us for the receivers failings.

you are correct it is the supplier fault who told me this was the box to have for twin tuner perfect recordings which is the main thing i asked for, i suggested buying the vu solo 2 from him but he said the tm twin was better. Its from a large business seller so the box will be going back.

Sorry im just a little cheesed off.

well i'm very surprised by that advice and it's certainly not something i would have recommended. I personally have as already stated seven receivers as so.

Vu+ Uno
Vu+ Duo x2
Vu+ Ultimo
Vu+ Solo2
TM-TWIN-OE
TM-2T-OE

for me personally i use the ultimo as my main family receiver as it has three tuners and a 1tb HDD fitted which give it enough options for the family to record their crap to, the solo2 is my personal daily use receiver but before that i used the duo for this purpose and before that the uno. The TM's i quite like especially the 2t but at the moment i could not use them for what i would consider family use due to the ongoing driver issues.[/quote]

Will a Vu+duo work flawlessly?

Thanks Bob.

no receiver will work flawlessly due to the fact that the images are all produced by teams of unpaid amateurs, if you want something that works flawlessly you should stick with the box you received from sky as they have a budget of millions in which to invest in such things where as we dont, that said the Vu+ Duo is a very well supported receiver but it is pushing on a bit and has a few issues of it's own such as the infamous memory leak with newer kernel 3.1.1 based images. rite now i'd say the best Vu in terms of price v functionality would be the solo2.

BubbleBalls
29-07-13, 23:56
Oops. Wrong thread.

bobbyduke
29-07-13, 23:59
True i do have a subbed sky box, i like a play myself with these boxes, had a dm800hd for for years never touched it for 2years until all these new plugins came in, in my opinion these are whats killing the stabilty off in these e2 boxes tried the latest dm images fulls of green screens, dodgy timeshift, reboots for no reason never use to get these problems. Also have a gm triplex box must say there latest update have made it a very stable quality box with superior picture quality to e2.

Is this tm driver issue due to the current movement of the sky satellites e2 is struggling to handle it?

Thanks Bob.

bobbyduke
30-07-13, 00:02
The advice i ask on the tm twin oe though is there a back dated image worth me trying to solve these timer issue or is it the same for all? pvr and crossepg will do me to be honest for now on this box.

I see on the download page images for vix back to feb would any of them work? or am i fighting a losing battle.

Larry-G
30-07-13, 00:07
I agree there are a lot of very poorly coded plugins floating around that in my opinion do more harm than good, but we cant be held to book for those plugins thats a issue for their various authors to resolve. I my self use only a few plugins on my personal receivers and they work fine with almost no issues.

my normal setup is as follows.

Latest ViX image from the feeds.

CrossEPG for sky uk ( already preinstalled into the image but highly modified for the ViX image ).

CCcam 2.2.1

ABM = AutoBouquetsMaker ( a OE-Alliance plugin built and maintained on this forum and preinstalled into the image ) allows me to build and automate my local regions sky uk based channel lists.

OnDemnand ( as above built and maintained on this forum ) allows me to stream the BBCiplayer etc

and thats about as exotic as my setup gets unless i'm specifically testing a plugin or function.

Larry-G
30-07-13, 00:09
The advice i ask on the tm twin oe though is there a back dated image worth me trying to solve these timer issue or is it the same for all? pvr and crossepg will do me to be honest for now on this box.

I see on the download page images for vix back to feb would any of them work? or am i fighting a losing battle.

its been a long time since i used a older image on any of my TM's so i cant honestly say which image is best for you.

twol
30-07-13, 19:01
no receiver will work flawlessly due to the fact that the images are all produced by teams of unpaid amateurs, if you want something that works flawlessly you should stick with the box you received from sky as they have a budget of millions in which to invest in such things where as we dont, that said the Vu+ Duo is a very well supported receiver but it is pushing on a bit and has a few issues of it's own such as the infamous memory leak with newer kernel 3.1.1 based images. rite now i'd say the best Vu in terms of price v functionality would be the solo2.
...... And they might spend a few quid on firmware development, but Sky also still have a lot of bugs including one that messes up your recordings.
Unfortunately when you write software you get bugs, its a fact of life.:)

rikksow
31-07-13, 07:16
My problem with the latest updates is the audiosync all updates since vix 683 have been the same and the audio wanders all over the place. Its not just vix as well 4d is the same

Larry-G
31-07-13, 07:37
My problem with the latest updates is the audiosync all updates since vix 683 have been the same and the audio wanders all over the place. Its not just vix as well 4d is the same

yes it's driver related.

mkhan
31-07-13, 16:22
...... And they might spend a few quid on firmware development, but Sky also still have a lot of bugs including one that messes up your recordings.
Unfortunately when you write software you get bugs, its a fact of life.:)

Agreed however TM seem to have a habit of launching products that do not work as intended.