PDA

View Full Version : Network media player to watch live streams from E2 box

dragoscevero
29-07-13, 08:02
I'm searching for a wan/lan connected media player capable to watch recordings but mainly live streams from a multituner Enigma2 box (Gigablue HD Quad) in the same wan/lan (local).
I've watched for some android HDMI dongle, but I'm not sure it's the right solution (not so easy to get streams), is there something better that someone can suggest?

Thanks!

Trial
29-07-13, 09:35
Hi,
1. XBMC with the VU+ addon can read EPG, switch channel and stream live-TV. I tried it once. Start was quite slow because EPG must be read but after that it was quite OK.
2. WD Live with a special custom firmware (I never tried)
3. Mediatiomb together with BH tuner server is able to stream live-TV over uPnP/DLNA and so quite a few uPnP-Clients might be able to show live-TV. (I never tried)
4. easiest way a little not so expensive E2 box

ciao

Rob van der Does
29-07-13, 09:48
Indeed the way I would advise. Once setup it is as if looking at a 'live'-box.
You can use a cheap secondhand box, tuner may even be defect, but it must be HD-capable and running a PLi-based image.

dragoscevero
29-07-13, 11:08
Hi,
1. XBMC with the VU+ addon can read EPG, switch channel and stream live-TV. I tried it once. Start was quite slow because EPG must be read but after that it was quite OK.
3. Mediatiomb together with BH tuner server is able to stream live-TV over uPnP/DLNA and so quite a few uPnP-Clients might be able to show live-TV. (I never tried)

ciao

Thanks...
is BH tuner server compatible also with gigablue decoder, and Vix image?
There is no BlackHole image available for my Gigablue Quad...
I also use Mediatomb to share recordings...

I think about XBMC over an android HDMI dongle, I've read it works well with enigma1 and VU+ decoders, but will it work with a gigablue E2 decoder?

dragoscevero
29-07-13, 11:15
Indeed the way I would advise. Once setup it is as if looking at a 'live'-box.
You can use a cheap secondhand box, tuner may even be defect, but it must be HD-capable and running a PLi-based image.

I've give a think about it, but I think for less then 150 € I can't find anyone, also secondhand...
What model of HD capable decoder can you suggest to buy, cheap but useful?

dragoscevero
29-07-13, 12:11
I've found the topic that talks about tunerserver:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22543-Tuner-Server
but after reading all the pages I wasn't able to know if it correctly work with uPnP devices actually.
Thanks for info!

im85288
29-07-13, 12:12
Hi,

Personally I would go for option 1 without any hesitation at all. It works perfectly fine connected to my vu solo 2 (enigma 2) box with the latest ViX image installed and of course brings the multitude of benefits that XBMC has..such as playing all formats of movies, 7.1 surround sound, rich metadata presentation etc etc

I have also tried option 4 and yes it does work..but did not suit my needs as I also wanted to play music from spotify, rate my tv and movies using trakt tv..the list of additions with xbmc really is vast

dragoscevero
29-07-13, 12:39
Personally I would go for option 1 without any hesitation at all. It works perfectly fine connected to my vu solo 2 (enigma 2) box with the latest ViX image installed and of course brings the multitude of benefits that XBMC has..such as playing all formats of movies, 7.1 surround sound, rich metadata presentation etc etc

I have also tried option 4 and yes it does work..but did not suit my needs as I also wanted to play music from spotify, rate my tv and movies using trakt tv..the list of additions with xbmc really is vast

Thanks!
Does it require some plugin (on "server" decoder side) or configuration?
This way is what I was thinking opening topic, 'cause I can use a cheap HDMI dongle with xbmc.
The cons are I must use wifi, dongle hasn't lan port... and then no HD channels.

The other chance is getting a small android box with lan port, that can be about 100 €...

The reason by I was watching about mediatomb+tunerserver is that I also have a PS3, and I've read someone was able to use it to watch the streams...

Trial
29-07-13, 13:52
Hi,
I am not sure if the VU+ XBMC addon runs with the android XBMC. A nice, small, cheap XBMC device is the RasberryPI which costs around €60 with power supply and case.

ciao

dragoscevero
29-07-13, 14:20
I've seen about it, but I don't tink it has hardware accelerated decoding for HD streams, will it play smoothly also HD streams (and why not, MKV or other HD lan shared files)?

Trial
29-07-13, 14:37
Hi,
h264 should work out of the box BUT VC1- and MPEG-2 costs a little bit extra around $2-3 each.

ciao

dragoscevero
29-07-13, 14:58
i've told an incorrect information by mistake... i was not using mediatomb, i was using ushare.
I've seen it can't stream tuner server streams, but i can't find where mediatomb menu is...
where can i edit its config?
Thanx again...

Trial
29-07-13, 15:22
Hi,
mediatomb has a web interface for configuration afaik.

ciao

im85288
29-07-13, 15:53
I've seen about it, but I don't tink it has hardware accelerated decoding for HD streams, will it play smoothly also HD streams (and why not, MKV or other HD lan shared files)?

Hi, I haven't heard great things either about the performance of raspberry pi..maybe the new Ouya console for about £100 would be a better option..however again this is not from personal experience..I much prefer to have something with quite a lot of power (currently using a mac mini) as I also do some XBMC development in my spare time.

dragoscevero
29-07-13, 21:35
Hi,
mediatomb has a web interface for configuration afaik.

ciao

from port 49152 i always get an empty page, like page not exysting.
By scanning on the lan services available by my stb ip I see port 5000 as upnp "also complex-main".
But if i simply access this port i get "bad request" answer...
Am I doing something wrong?

dragoscevero
11-09-13, 18:00
Hi,

ciao

To use the 4th way, what plugin have I to install? I've tried to use partnerbox but I get an error at setup (plugin not disponible (cannot import name EPG_TYPE_GRAPH) on a Gigablue Hd800SE with openPli onboard...

Rob van der Does
11-09-13, 18:50
Partnerbox is outdated.
Use the remote channel stream converter to make services on the server box available to the client box.
And mount the client on the server (you pause playback of a file in the evening and continue playback in your bedroom).

Alec
11-09-13, 23:46
I'm searching for a wan/lan connected media player capable to watch recordings but mainly live streams from a multituner Enigma2 box (Gigablue HD Quad) in the same wan/lan (local).
I've watched for some android HDMI dongle, but I'm not sure it's the right solution (not so easy to get streams), is there something better that someone can suggest?

Thanks! My Med8er 500x Media Player can see and play from the Quad, but I have only tested it for about 5 minutes to see if it works. They are both on a switch box LAN connect by cable to a router.