PDA

View Full Version : Vu Duo upgrade to Vu Duo2

kevstar28
27-07-13, 13:23
Hi, I have had my Vu duo since they came out.
Was looking at the new Vu Duo 2 and didn't know if it was worth upgrading it?
I can still get a couple of hundred for mine so wouldn't need to put to much more for it.

Any suggestions would be great

Kevin

Stanman
27-07-13, 13:45
Everything about the DUO2 is better. If you can afford it and want it go for it!

Rob van der Does
27-07-13, 13:53
Depends on what you want: the Solo2 is much cheaper.
And as long as you don't need plugable tuners I think the DUO2 is way overpriced compared to the Solo2.
The LCD is just a gimmick and not worth paying extra for.

Or to put it differently: what does the DUO2 have more then the Solo2 that makes up for the extra money?

irishchris
27-07-13, 14:10
Depends on what you want: the Solo2 is much cheaper.
And as long as you don't need plugable tuners I think the DUO2 is way overpriced compared to the Solo2.
The LCD is just a gimmick and not worth paying extra for.

Or to put it differently: what does the DUO2 have more then the Solo2 that makes up for the extra money?

Well I have solo 2 here but bit the bullet and got a duo 2 purely for the fact two tuners just want enough for what I needed. Running out of a spare tuner when the missus would have her recordings running. Don't get me wrong the solo 2 is a great box but looking forward to having a play with the duo 2 when it arrives plus being able to put my old 3.5" 1TB hard drive in as was confined to the 500 gb hdd which I had with the solo 2 as only takes 2.5". Hoping when duo 2 drivers progress a bit that transcoding will improve somewhat with the duo 2 also

Rob van der Does
27-07-13, 14:23
Yep: the (max) 4 internal tuners are a plus if you need that.
And the transcoding is still to be proven to work better indeed.

BubbleBalls
28-07-13, 00:18
Why limit your options to Vu+? I started a year ago and picked the Duo as research showed I'd get 2 Sat and a USB terrestrial tuner. Nearly all the research I done returned VU as the top pick.

My Duo did not perform out of the box as I expected. Sat was great but the USB tuner caused a lot of hassle - crashed when switching from an HD Sat to DTT channel. Time came for a second box, and because I had issues, I wanted an internal DVB-t tuner so got a GB Quad.

Quad was/is great and now much cheaper than on release - still a few niggles (gblan, 5.1 etc) but really happy.

After I bought the Quad Judge and Stick50jr advised that their USB tuner was ok on the Duo. Cacheflush with swapfile has now made the Duo work as I originally expected.

So I am finally happy that the Duo now works but love how the Quad handles things with less effort.

There's alot of choice now and I couldn't justify the cost of the Duo2 when other receivers are available.

Tapatalker

Rob van der Does
28-07-13, 05:32
The DUO is the oldest VU+ and it was designed 5 years ago (or is it 6 years?). By then no box was able to use any USB-tuner at all.
It's not fair to compare such an old box with newly designed ones (my VW beetle only did 110 km/h and consumed 10 l/100 km; at the time I never felt I could complain about that .....).

Even more: great to see that such an old box works well in such a modern setup!

BubbleBalls
28-07-13, 10:50
Not really trying to compare - just saying even Vu+ have issues with their kit. Memory leak with mine is very bad and only stable with cacheflush, which is how old? One year? So even though the box is 5 years in production it can still have issues. If it was not for cache flush I may have sold it on.

Totally different to the Duo2, I know, but a premium price. You can get a four tuner setup with over Ł100 change on the Duo2 base model if transcoding is not your aim? Personally, I would seriously consider other makes/models.

Tapatalker

chris-k
28-07-13, 10:55
i also have both duo and solo,,,and offcourse i also get hyped about this new duo2,,,but as my older boxes does their job as they are supposed to... i Think iŽll wait until the prices goes down and the baby diseases are fixed.......:sofahide: