PDA

View Full Version : Mods on the site

Mandanddeb
25-07-13, 00:23
Let me start by saying I love this site and every part of it and a massive thank you to all involved but why do amatures like myself and many more have to tip toe around mods Incase of a backlash everyday and for months I keep reading mod after mod after mod slating and putting down any stupid question or a misplaced word etc are we catching you on a bad day? Iv been shot down in the beginning not so much now and for a long long time but I just feel sorry for the newbs getting a rough deal! I know we're annoying I really do but everyone has to start somewhere

Not really a rant at all didn't no where to put it lol

judge
25-07-13, 00:28
I'd think all mods here are as helpful & as polite as possible.
It can get a bit frustrating when people don't use the search button & ask the same questions over & over again.
Also, when users don't take any advice/answers given to them.

Have you any thread in mind? if so, can you link to it please?

Mandanddeb
25-07-13, 00:35
No no I don't mean it like that! Every mod means well and helps in anyway they can.its just they can be brash at times lol and to a newb I'm sure it can be off putting to even ask a question at times.

BubbleBalls
25-07-13, 00:38
I have to disagree. I am not a mod and started one year ago. I have never felt I had to tiptoe. What I do like about the site is that I have been pointed in the right direction numerous times, not given huge detailed responses - this suits me as I then know where to look for the info I need. I learn more and it sticks when I do the legwork.

After a year I am still a noob and still post some iffy things.

Since I got tapatalk I now read most posts and over the last 6 months I can understand why frustration kicks in - its not about noobs and seemingly silly questions we all ask - its about common sense. I've seen posters create multiple threads, high jack other threads, use info as their own and complain that things don't work as they think they should. So there are frustrations on both sides. And as many different nationalities use this forum the language used in replying to threads is direct and simple (could be seen as brash but that may be the readers interpretation, not the intent)

Hats off to the guys who give all their free time and effort on this site.

Tapatalker

Mandanddeb
25-07-13, 00:50
I did mention I love this site and I really really appreciate all the help iv had and still having on a day to day basis by reading the forum everyday etc it just reads harsh! At times and if I see it as harsh I'm sure others do (not all times btw) and not all mods I try n thank everyone who's helped me directly or indirectly, I can't talk I'm the most impatient person when trying to teach, but there are 1000's on here so I wouldn't no what that's like so hats off I'm just stating how it comes across

Larry-G
25-07-13, 00:52
well i can't speak for other members of staff but i always try to be polite and courteous but thats not always possible.

The thing is like every one else here staff or not, we do what we do for free and totally out of our own time. I personally spend often 50 plus hours on the forum every week, helping new and old users alike. I have also created a series of Tutorials specifically written in such a way as not to intimidate new users but to help them every step of the way.

That said i am also human and as such i have human emotions and can sometimes bite when provoked, especially when a user ignores advice given multiple times or just totally disregards us by demanding help now instead of doing a bit of the leg work them selves as if they have a right to demand some one personally fixes their issues, but rather than lash out at forum members i tend to just walk away and ignore them although thats not always going to happen.

Mandanddeb
25-07-13, 01:02
Can I add in a comical kind of way this is in no way meant to offend pheonix so please don't take offence
When someone ignores or just decides to contradict your help I do have a little chuckle to myself thinking "ohhh pheonix is going to have him haha" and can't wait for your response haha. ;)

Larry-G
25-07-13, 01:06
I did mention I love this site and I really really appreciate all the help iv had and still having on a day to day basis by reading the forum everyday etc it just reads harsh! At times and if I see it as harsh I'm sure others do (not all times btw) and not all mods I try n thank everyone who's helped me directly or indirectly, I can't talk I'm the most impatient person when trying to teach, but there are 1000's on here so I wouldn't no what that's like so hats off I'm just stating how it comes across

Another thing i'd like to say is that if you feel a member of staff has over stepped the mark you can always use the report button or PM one of the Admin staff ( us guys in red ), even if you think one of the Admins have over stepped PM one of the others. we genuinely will look into all complains and take action accordingly.

When Sicilian first created this site it was the number one rule he set out for the staff that they always be polite and courteous, and if that is starting to slip we can take action to remedy it. we want to help users thats what we are here for, not to make dicks of our selves, bringing the forum's good name into question by making it a "elite" boy's club like many others have become.

Larry-G
25-07-13, 01:10
Can I add in a comical kind of way this is in no way meant to offend pheonix so please don't take offence
When someone ignores or just decides to contradict your help I do have a little chuckle to myself thinking "ohhh pheonix is going to have him haha" and can't wait for your response haha. ;)

lol, i have been a mod and admin for close to 15 years on a number of sites, some long gone and closed up shop, some still around. At one point in time i'll admit i had a reputation as a bad tempered moron who would lash out at the simplest thing, those days are long gone now, but the hulk does show him self from time to time against my better judgement.

Thing is even in real life i cant stand people who blatantly sprout crap when i know better, especially if it's a topic i consider my self to be well versed in, and those are the times when i tend to bite back out of pure frustration, but as i said above if you ever feel any of us has stepped out of line ( my self included ) PM one of the admins and it will be sorted.

Just one more thing to add.

If i ever thought i my self was bringing the forum down i would gladly tender my resignation with sicilian as would most if not all of the staff we have.

BubbleBalls
25-07-13, 01:17
Phoenix takes his frustration out by creating roadkill😜

Another thing I notice is that some responses are sent through phones (mods have day jobs too) and when I use tapatalk my posts tend to short and to the point as typing on the phone is a little more time consuming.

All in all a brilliant site and I've been on a few - sites where one is instantly shot down by mods and users alike - sites that members think it's their own private club - this is as far from that as can be. I got a lifetime ban on one site because I disagreed with a mod - no insults, no bad language, banned for not being a blind follower (just an example of how some forums can be ego trips) but this site is available/accessible for all types of posters.

Tapatalker

Mandanddeb
25-07-13, 01:18
No not all I never said anyone had done wrong just a little breathing deep from time to time, hey I made pheonix smile not all bad as come from this :p

judge
25-07-13, 01:42

funny how we all read/see things in different ways...
I'd think pheonix is one of the most polite & helpful users on here & holds his cool pretty well.

As said above, a language barrier can also come into play at times.
It can also be more helpful at times to give short & to the point answers, helps other users with similar issues also learn.

Ofcourse we can all get snappy at times, but to be honest, I think it rarely happens here.

Thing is even in real life i cant stand people who blatantly sprout crap when i know better, especially if it's a topic i consider my self to be well versed in, and those are the times when i tend to bite back out of pure frustration, but as i said above if you ever feel any of us has stepped out of line ( my self included ) PM one of the admins and it will be sorted.

LOL... I was in a well known electronics shop last week, buying a TV for my mother.
Looked at a few TVs & as expected, sales guy approached me asking if he can help me.
Asked him if he knew anything about TVs & ofcourse his answer was yes...

Went through some of the basics (I'm no expert on TVs but know what most functions should do) & the bloke was talking pure shite...
I said it straight out to him & asked him if there was any other sales person who wouldnt talk shite... he wasn't too happy, my kids were pure embarrassed...
He went off and got someone else, who was also talking crap, didn't even know how to use the remote to bring up Saorview EPG.

Walked out in frustration after also telling him he was useless...

At times, it can be hard not to do the same on here, but think we all manage pretty well.

tomthebomb1968
25-07-13, 03:11
LOL... I was in a well known electronics shop last week, buying a TV for my mother.
Looked at a few TVs & as expected, sales guy approached me asking if he can help me.
Asked him if he knew anything about TVs & ofcourse his answer was yes...

Went through some of the basics (I'm no expert on TVs but know what most functions should do) & the bloke was talking pure shite...
I said it straight out to him & asked him if there was any other sales person who wouldnt talk shite... he wasn't too happy, my kids were pure embarrassed...
He went off and got someone else, who was also talking crap, didn't even know how to use the remote to bring up Saorview EPG.

Walked out in frustration after also telling him he was useless...

At times, it can be hard not to do the same on here, but think we all manage pretty well.Reminds me of a similar experience a good few years ago now when the my father wanted to buy one of the early Samsung LCD tvs. All the test reports bigged up the picture quality but said the sound quality really let them down.

So we goes into our local electronics store. So the Sammy is on a wall mounte display and hooked up to a 5 channel amp and sounds and looks great. So I ask the nearest "Salesperson" if he can turn the amp off and let us hear the tv speakers. Might aswell have asked him if he could build me a rocket coz i think he may have had more chance with that task. First he was in poking round the back, then turns round and announces that the set is meant to be connected to an AV system and thats the only way to get sound. So i walks over and points out the speaker vents on the chasis and he says these are cooling vents. Now i am usually pretty restrained but for some reason that day I must have had the nasty head on and asked him how the hell he had got the job then quickly answered my own question. "You must have been fluent in bullshit during your interview too"

Rob van der Does
25-07-13, 04:58
Asked him if he knew anything about TVs & of course his answer was yes...
LOL.... asking just the question if 'overscan' can be turned off will usually show how knowledgeable a guy (M/F) is.

OK, back on topic!

abu baniaz
25-07-13, 05:13
We all make assumptions about what the person can follow/do. These could be wrong. IMO. it is up to the person to say that they do not understand. This will ensure that any further responses will be pitched lower.

I suppose the best thing about most forums, everyone with their different ways of communcating is able to help. If you think something could be said better, then chip in.

Rob van der Does
25-07-13, 05:26
And indeed: we're all human.
Speaking for myself: I can't stand a problem being posted without any relevant info being given. You know, a posting like 'Help, my box doesn't do XYZ' without even telling what box (let alone what image and what has been tried) .....

Communication is always two-way; on asking a question one has to try to explain oneself, to try to put oneself in the shoes of the one who reads the question. This applies in real live (but at least you can see ones astonishment) and even more so in written communication.
And indeed: in those cases I tend to be a bit curtly; I admit guilt.

jaylar
25-07-13, 18:09
lol, i have been a mod and admin for close to 15 years on a number of sites, some long gone and closed up shop, some still around. At one point in time i'll admit i had a reputation as a bad tempered moron who would lash out at the simplest thing, those days are long gone now, but the hulk does show him self from time to time against my better judgement.

Just one more thing to add.

If i ever thought i my self was bringing the forum down i would gladly tender my resignation with sicilian as would most if not all of the staff we have.
I can vouch for that I was a member of a site that pheonix was on a number of years ago that no longer exists that if you posted this you would have had a life time ban lol . Now hes a big soft teddy bear but to be fair he was always a great help and is one of the most active member on here and on there when it was running. Ohh just ban he dude00 lol

duoduo
25-07-13, 18:36
Gosh you mods are touchy lol.. Keep up the great work chaps.

Larry-G
25-07-13, 19:35
Ohh just ban he dude00 lol

Them were the days Jay bad tempered old 00dude.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Suttsy
25-07-13, 20:42
Just have to say folks, only for this site & the help of all the mods/members I'd be still scratchin my head, & probably would have flung the reciever at the wall.
"We're all only human" and unfortunately not everyday is better then the previous, so a reply can be absorbed depending on the mood of the receiver.
A big thumbs up to all members who give their time & patience to all new & not so new requests.

"Just my 10 cents worth"

Suttsy

drx360
25-07-13, 20:58
just my 2 cents worth, been here around 6 months ish and have asked questions on satellite receiver issues when stuck and have got answers usually in less then 24 hours so cannot fault the site mods on that at all, sometimes when an answer is given especially a written one it can be misinterpreted as a kinda "oh hes an arsy sod" when that probably isnt the case, text is a sod for that!

not sure about any other users, but if you feel theres a piece of advice thats shall we say, a tad iffy, speak your mind on it, everyone is open to learning something new, opinions are like asssholes we all have one :)

girginoz
25-07-13, 21:27
After a couple german forums where you feel isolated and ignored i feel home here.
Vix team images with minimum extentions offer a lot of free space and keep me here

pooface
25-07-13, 21:53
Right, that's it, this thread is being closed, and all members who'd posted in it, give a 2 week ban!!!!!! :D :p

As has been said though, sometimes we have bad days, and things are written abruptly. But also, there's also lots of messages where someone says something like "I have a problem, what could it be?!" Well, we don't know, and unable to find out unless you tell us :p

But nothing is personal, and we do just try to help out, sarcastic comments and all included...

Sicilian
26-07-13, 04:50
Made some interesting reading this thread guys, nice to hear different views :thumbsup:

wullboy
08-08-13, 22:19
Made some interesting reading this thread guys, nice to hear different views :thumbsup:

Have we now decided that views are not accepted nowadays, so we just removed them cause it suite us to....... or is it that criticism is now not accepted on this site ??????????

judge
08-08-13, 22:35
Have we now decided that views are not accepted nowadays, so we just removed them cause it suite us to....... or is it that criticism is now not accepted on this site ??????????

What are you talking about?

Larry-G
08-08-13, 22:39

Yes we do allow users to post their views, the fact that you have made this post and its still here shows how lenient we are on this forum, i know many others where a user would have been banned for less, we wont however tolerate pointless rants with no purpose other than to cause trouble.

wullboy
09-08-13, 08:00
Yes we do allow users to post their views, the fact that you have made this post and its still here shows how lenient we are on this forum, i know many others where a user would have been banned for less, we wont however tolerate pointless rants with no purpose other than to cause trouble.

No i`m not causing trouble, its called putting over one`s point, and the point is........ i have a cartoon avatar that i believe is harmless, and i fail to see why i must remove it, it is not offensive, its not religous, its not vindictive, its a cartoon avatar, nothing more, nothing less, just a cartoon avatar, [ and a pointless rant with no purpose other than to cause trouble ] was never my intension, but i do believe i am entitle to a answer as to why it must be removed.....

So can my post please be put back up on the open forum, and lets have some democratic views on the subject !!

ronand
09-08-13, 08:09
When did democracy have anything to do with the running of a forum? Give the masses a say and anarchy will result.

Rob van der Does
09-08-13, 08:09
Well, I do find your avatar a sign of bad taste. And on a serious forum like ours I even find it offending, simple as that.
And I'm absolutely not interested in where you got it from; it's really quite easy to find all kinds of stuff showing bad taste.

And as you say the avatar means nothing for you, I fail to see why you wouldn't want to change it then when kindly asked to do so. It would be a sign of good taste, and normal, polite behaviour, to do so.

s1m0nw
09-08-13, 08:19
Mate I think you need to read previous post. Phoenix just told you your rant is allowed on forum and that your not causing trouble. He was only merely stating that posts that are deemed as causimg trouble will be removed.

Also

Your post to start this thread up again bore np indictation what your issue was untill the above post. Pm the complainant and see what his/her issues are on your avatar.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Stanman
09-08-13, 22:58
You''ve put your view across and had a response.

Forum moderation is not a democracy.

I strongly believe ours is a friendly and welcoming place but occasionaly we take steps which some one my not like but end of the day it's not open to a vote.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

wullboy
11-08-13, 10:02
What i don't care for, IS the fact was, it had been on this open site for 9 months, and then all of a sudden somebody take a dislike to it [ for what ever the reason was, is beyond me ] and that's what get up my nose, not once in 9 months did anybody complain,not once was i contacted about it,and then all of a sudden it offensive so it has to be removed ????? bordering on dictating and i don't take kindly to that

Rob van der Does
11-08-13, 10:15
Well, hat makes one think how many people actually noticed your posts .....

And this has nothing to do with dictating; only with normal, civilian politeness.

Larry-G
11-08-13, 10:31
While i personally had no issue with your avatar the fact remains that you were asked to change it, and not for the first time either, i count 4 times in the last 18 to 24 months that you have been asked to change a avatar for various reasons. if you have a issue with this then please send a message to the admin staff and we will review the decision as we always do.

and with that this thread is now closed, as for being a dictatorship i suggest you read the forum rules you agreed to as part of your membership.

Thread closed. do not start another.