PDA

View Full Version : S*k wire help

dale_robertmoore
24-07-13, 21:49
Hi lads my vu+duo box is coming 2mora about a year ago my s*y wire out cut just outside my window it's a double wire called a shotgun wire I believe. do I just fit a f plug to the top wire/bottom wire or do need to f plug both wire and put both in the box? Any help would be great thanks

s1m0nw
24-07-13, 22:01
Split cable and crimp f connectors on both wires

Also as the cable is outside where you have stated i would wrap it with insulating tape to prevent water ingress as this will reduce your signal

Larry-G
24-07-13, 22:14

Also as the cable is outside where you have stated i would wrap it with insulating tape to prevent water ingress as this will reduce your signal

I would not use insulating tape mate as it actually traps and draws moisture onto the join reducing the life of the coax. You should use self amalgamating tape as this creates a true water tight seal that will last as long as the coax does.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

dale_robertmoore
24-07-13, 22:22

Can't wait for my box to come! I thought it only had a one hole for the s#y wire? I'll have to buy some tape and 2 more f plug then. My mate said one wire is for the picture and the other wire to record, but I did have multiroom so may why I have 2 wires?

Larry-G
24-07-13, 22:34
Can't wait for my box to come! I thought it only had a one hole for the s#y wire? I'll have to buy some tape and 2 more f plug then. My mate said one wire is for the picture and the other wire to record, but I did have multiroom so may why I have 2 wires?

you will only have a single hole in the wall if they used shotgun coax as it takes up the same space as a single normal cable, as for the reason you have two feeds did you have a sky + receiver, ie one with a internal hard disc for recording onto ?, if so then that box has two tuners like your duo will have when it comes.

s1m0nw
24-07-13, 22:37
Your mate is right the idea is you can record one channel and watch another ch at same time. S*y alway use shotgun cable when installing their main boxes not too sure about the "bedroom" boxes.

abu baniaz
25-07-13, 05:21
If it is not a long run, it may be better to replace the whole "cable" instead of joining it.

Don't forget the barrels for connecting the cables. Make sure you get the right sized f-plugs as the shotgun cable is thinner. You are connecting two sets of cables, you will need 2 barrels and 4 f-plugs.

dale_robertmoore
25-07-13, 06:30
Kool yea I had sly+ and sly hd in my bedroom above that's why I was wondering why I only got one shotgun cable so I think sly man split it and put one up stairs and one downstairs otherwise would I not have 4 sly wires? If u need 2 on both box's? One box was hd and one was just sly+

pooface
25-07-13, 07:07
Kool yea I had sly+ and sly hd in my bedroom above that's why I was wondering why I only got one shotgun cable so I think sly man split it and put one up stairs and one downstairs otherwise would I not have 4 sly wires? If u need 2 on both box's? One box was hd and one was just sly+

Sky HD is a dial tuner anyway, so you should have had 2 cables to each...

dale_robertmoore
25-07-13, 10:25
Sky HD is a dial tuner anyway, so you should have had 2 cables to each...

I here what your saying but I've only ever had 1 shotgun cable and 2 boxes strange but true