PDA

View Full Version : Noob missing something simple? Suggestions welcome!

nwootton
20-07-13, 23:55
Right. I think the word I'm looking for is heeeelp!

I finally bought a Vu+ Duo and after following the excellent tutorial by Phoenix I got it all working including my (legit) Sky channels. Then I tried recording a show from a premium channel and all I got was a black screen with no audio.

I figured I'd done something wrong or missed a step, so I got the latest version of the Vix image (3.0.699), re-flashed the box and started again. Now I get a black screen when I try to view a premium channel.

I can see my entitlements, their expiry is in September, the version of CCcam is 2.3.0. Softcam Manager log shows that it is running OK.

Being a total noob to this, I don't understand the information provided in the Vix>>CCcam Info functionality.

I've turned on debug logging, but nothing has turned up in the interface provided by the box (not looked via FTP).

I've now tried a third time (now on Vix 3.0.701 - 19/7/2013) and I still get nothing from my premium channels.

Can anyone suggest what else I should try? Any links to tutorials that may help with this issue?

Stanman
21-07-13, 19:50
Have you mounted and initialized the HDD?

nwootton
21-07-13, 20:35
Yup. Successfully made a recording to the HDD. File was visible from both the Duo and from FTP. In both cases the playback was black.

Brand new 500Gb HDD, so no issues with previous file systems on it either.

N

satmanbasil
22-07-13, 14:04
Hi mate

You need in your CCcam config file to add the boxkey of your card/receiver to enable premium channels to open. Google to find more information on topic.

regards

nwootton
23-07-13, 09:15
Thanks Satmanbasil but that's all done: - the CCcam.cfg file is in the /etc directory as per Phoenix's instructions.

My setup initially worked with a viewable premium channel, but black recording on playback. After re-build I just get a black screen. Card and CCcam.cfg file are the same - just FTP'd them from desktop back onto my VU+ Duo.

This is why I'm confused. I went from something that appeared to half work, to something that doesn't work... using the same instructions.

I guess I'll try for a fourth tonight if I get the chance.

judge
23-07-13, 11:34
What way have you your tuner configs set-up?

nwootton
23-07-13, 12:34
judge

As per the instructions here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23571-New-box-set-up-guide):

configuration mode. Simple
Mode Single
Satellite 28.2E Eurobird 1..Astra 1N/2A/2B/2D
Send DiSEqC No.

For both tuner A and tuner B. Using CrossEPG and it's populated. Also loaded picons onto my USB stick and they are showing up correctly.

N

judge
23-07-13, 13:11
Have you swapped the feeds around to see if it's a problem with one of them?

satmanbasil
23-07-13, 13:18
Hi

Are you able without trying to record view a premier channel ?
Have you switched on the CCcam in the menu setup ?

nwootton
24-07-13, 08:33
Judge - Feeds work fine... have swapped them around and tried them in my Humax FoxSat HDR.
SatManBasil - CCcam is on and auto starting - log gives me an error about 'Allow WebInfo: Yes' to do something (I cant remember now), but nothing else flagged as an issue. Opening the CCcam Info shows the entitlements and their expiry date, so I assume that means it's doing something.

I think I'll try a clean install from a new image (3.0.702) this friday after everyone has finished with the TV and report back. Until then I guess it's back to reading about CCcam 2.3.0 and auto entitlement updates.... :eek:

satmanbasil
24-07-13, 21:36
hi mate

With your card have you inbetween using it the first time and second time in your vu+ reinstalled it into original s*y box ? reason i ask there are stories going about that sky are pairing up cards and stb so one can no longer put the card into another receiver, lets hope thats not the problem.

The web info message is a setting in the CCcam.cfg file thats allows you to view server stats using CCcaminfophp you need if set to "Yes" to add a user name and password or remove these lines if you dont wish to use it.

With keeping your card entitlements up to date i have a motor system and i swing the dish round to 28e for a couple days on sky premier channel normally in that time it will pick up the updates

Lastly you can telnet the box and see if the Cccam is running ?

nwootton
26-07-13, 15:23
satmanbasil

Are you running just CCcam to get the entitlements updated or some hideously complicated OSCam/MGCamd/something setup with clients and servers all running off the same box and updating each other?

Box interface tells me CCcam is running, but not tried telnetting in. Will try tonight.

nwootton
26-07-13, 22:53
Well attempt number 5 (6?, 7?) using image 3.0.705 is now displaying my channels.

We shall see if the recordings I just setup will playback.... Fingers crossed!
:)

nwootton
27-07-13, 12:10
Right then. I set the box to record 3 films last night, all HD, 1 on one channel and 2 on another. The box was left on the correct channel for the first recording.

Cursory examination of the recordings show that the first title recorded OK - looks like I have picture and sound. The next 2 titles are both black - no audio and video. The metadata with them shows strange start, end and durations (5856.3 or something similar) when I try to play them back. :(

I've also noticed that the CrossEPG seems to have 2 sets of data - one for freesat and one for s*y - not seen this before. The first group is freesat, All, Entertainment, Movies etc etc and the it gets repeated with a second set All, ENtertainment, Movies etc etc.

Could this be causing the recording issue?:confused:

satmanbasil
27-07-13, 15:31
Hi mate

Ok so to recap you managed to see the premier channels now and have been able to record one film ?
I would try again to do this but double check a few things, first that all channels your going to record from are clear to view, then when you set your recording times double check they appear on your recording planner try to allow for no overlaps as im sure im right in saying unless the channels your recording from are on the same transponder then it will not record both if they overlap and lets us know how u got on.

MeeŽkat
27-07-13, 15:36
Right then. I set the box to record 3 films last night, all HD, 1 on one channel and 2 on another. The box was left on the correct channel for the first recording.

Cursory examination of the recordings show that the first title recorded OK - looks like I have picture and sound. The next 2 titles are both black - no audio and video. The metadata with them shows strange start, end and durations (5856.3 or something similar) when I try to play them back. :(

I've also noticed that the CrossEPG seems to have 2 sets of data - one for freesat and one for s*y - not seen this before. The first group is freesat, All, Entertainment, Movies etc etc and the it gets repeated with a second set All, ENtertainment, Movies etc etc.

Could this be causing the recording issue?:confused:

Not exactly sure what your problem is but you are far better using oscam to read your card mate even if it is just for your own card on 1 box..if you have teamviewer i can help..you can find an ipk of cccam/mgcamd and oscam somewhere on an external link for vix here or somewhere else..

Failing that if your allowed can you post your cccam cfg here...minus your boxid tho

nwootton
27-07-13, 23:16
Hi mate

Ok so to recap you managed to see the premier channels now and have been able to record one film ?
I would try again to do this but double check a few things, first that all channels your going to record from are clear to view, then when you set your recording times double check they appear on your recording planner try to allow for no overlaps as im sure im right in saying unless the channels your recording from are on the same transponder then it will not record both if they overlap and lets us know how u got on.

satmanbasil. That's correct, and the recordings also showed up in the planner (and on the Vu+ App on my phone). I'm guessing the main problem is solved by your statement about overlaps. The first and second films had an overlap on different channels. The third film was on immediately after the second on the same channel, but there may have also been an overlap caused by early start/late finish padding times.

I'll try and record another couple of things and see what pops.

Cheers.

nwootton
05-08-13, 15:42
Just a quick update. The box appears to be happy doing recordings from timers as long as there are no overlaps.

I'm still confused over why I appear to have both Sly channel groupings and FreeSat channel groupings (All channels, movies, kids..., All channels, movies, children..) as separate entries when I press on the 'TV' button - it means the Sky channel numbers don't work (Sly Premiere is in the 2000s not on 301) but I can live with that. I have tried changing the provider order - do I need FreeSat if I have full Sly subscription?

Finally - can someone point me at a guide to USB DVB-T tuner setup... got the driver in, shows up in the tuner list as Tuner C, but attempts at scanning just return 0 results.

Stanman
05-08-13, 19:43
how have you configured the tuner.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

abu baniaz
06-08-13, 04:14
You must select both sky and freesat. In providers sky must be first.

nwootton
06-08-13, 15:34
Not near the box, so this is from memory!

Tuner C is a Hauppage Nova-T (using dib-0700 (sic) driver), it is showing in the list of tuners. I've tried pointing it at Crystal Palace, Europe, even Scandinavia (some other post said something about this working!) and then told it to scan.

In all cases it appears that it is scanning (bar with percentage value appears) but never finds any services. Tuner works on same feed when directly connected to MythTV box.

nwootton
14-08-13, 10:02
So after digging around and looking at the USB sticks via Ubuntu & Wikipedia (http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-Stick), it appears that there are different versions of the Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick. Thats before we start looking at Nova-TD, Nova-T Lite and other regional variations.

Using lsusb and comparing different sticks it became obvious that I was originally using version 2040:7070. Swapping it out with an older 2040:7050 version (thanks to a friend!) and setting the region to Scandinavia meant that it successfully scanned for and stored channels. Attempts to scan against UK Crystal Palace still resulted in no channels found.

Anyway, it now works and I have a fallback to SD DVB-T if both tuners are in use.