PDA

View Full Version : How to flash a VU+ Duo using a USB stick

Sicilian
22-03-10, 13:56
Quick guide how to flash a VU+ Duo receiver with a USB stick. Tools required are just your favourite image and at least a 128mb memory stick formatted FAT32.

1. Format you memory stick on you PC FAT32.
2. Create a directory in called vuplus.
3. Within the the vuplus directory create another folder called duo.
4. Unzip the USB upgrade files into that directory.
5. Power off your VU+ Duo.
6. Insert memory stick into front USB slot.
7. Power on your VU+ Duo and follow the on screen instructions.

Thats it :)

hanman
29-04-10, 13:18
Coming from a cable dreambox background i cannot believe how straightforward the above flash is..
I have one question as a newbie to the sat scene, what is meant by "Unzip the USB upgrade files" in step 4? What files are you referring to? do you mean the actual image itself? or does this imply other files other than the image?

Sicilian
29-04-10, 13:22
Coming from a cable dreambox background i cannot believe how straightforward the above flash is..
I have one question as a newbie to the sat scene, what is meant by "Unzip the USB upgrade files" in step 4? What files are you referring to? do you mean the actual image itself? or does this imply other files other than the image?

The USB image files in most download sections, including here are in compressed zip or rar format. Therefore you need to extract the files first then transfer to onto your USB stick.

Monty
29-04-10, 13:25
The USB files required to flash are placed in the vuplus/duo folder in the USB drive.
There are 3 files whch if come in a zip, need to be extracted to the duo folder.
The 3 files are :
boot_cfe_auto.jffs2
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
root_cfe_auto.jffs2

satmanbasil
29-04-10, 13:38
Hi mate

If you done things right then on your stick you will have a folder called vuplus... inside that folder will be another called duo.
inside the duo folder if u selected usb upgrade will be 3 files

boot_cfe_auto.jffs2 JFFS2 File
kernel_cfe_auto Bin File
root_cfe_auto.jffs2 JFFS2 File

This is your image that ur be loading into the flash

Just a thought on the subject of upgrade does anyone think the KCC prog cud install NIF to vu+ seeing it was for enigma 2 and the later KCC cud upload NIF to the kathrein?

regards

satmanbasil

Sicilian
29-04-10, 13:51
Just a thought on the subject of upgrade does anyone think the KCC prog cud install NIF to vu+ seeing it was for enigma 2 and the later KCC cud upload NIF to the kathrein?

satmanbasil

Doubt it, VU+ has its own NFI utility http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?18-VU-Utility-and-guide-for-usage-of-the-VuUtility

satmanbasil
29-04-10, 14:11
Hi mate

Had a quick look at the vu+ via KCC it can see the box connection on ping - telnet & FTP only failed on login it also found system info on vu+ so maybe i will ask some questions with the KCC programmers and see if its able to be tweeked or they may develope KCC to work with the Vu+ the vuUtility is very basic compared with KCC and i think it wud be the perfect one stop tool for the vu+

regards
satmanbasil

shawi
14-05-10, 22:09
I have downloaded images 4.6 VU+ and VTI and followed the instructions above. After rebooting I get VU+ DUO on the front panel but black screen!!!
I downloaded image 4.5 VU+ and still get the same b;ack screen.
Have I missed something? Please help,
Shawi

Sicilian
15-05-10, 05:01
I have downloaded images 4.6 VU+ and VTI and followed the instructions above. After rebooting I get VU+ DUO on the front panel but black screen!!!
I downloaded image 4.5 VU+ and still get the same b;ack screen.
Have I missed something? Please help,
Shawi

Have you extracted the image from the rar/zip file?

Find the downloaded file, right click and select extract here. You will then have a folder called vuplus then another folder called duo with 3 files inside. Transfer the whole vuplus folder to the root of your usb stick. Format the stick first FAT32 with this tool first http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?45-USB-Format-Tool

shawi
16-05-10, 13:30
Hi Sicilian
I have actually expanded te files and built up the folder structure. I also formatted the usb using HP tool. But to no avail.
However, I connected the network + serial and successfully flashed the NFI image. All is well now.
p.s. I suspect the USB stick,
I have used and tested a large number of satellite devices, I must say; this one is really good.
Thanks for your support.
Shawi.

pege63
30-05-10, 17:05
PPL ask me how to install VU+-Support.co.uk-Loaded24-05-10.rar in to the Vu+Duo i say to them, unzip the zip file in the you will se 2 maps (vuplus, duo) and 3 files (kernel_cfe_auto.bin, boot_cfe_auto.jffs2, root_cfe_auto.jffs2). Copy all this to a USB memory, insert this USB in the front USB port at you box, Boot.

The the asking how to install let say vti-duo-image-v1.1-28052010_usb.zip, in this ZIP files is ONLY 1 file (vti-duo-image-v1.1-28052010_usb) no extension on the file, now they as wath to do with this file, i say i dont know, is there only 1 file in the ZIP file i can only see 1 file vti-duo-image-v1.1-28052010_usb.??? is there only 1 file?

And is there a nothe way to boot Vu+Dou after flash more that the button on the back?

Sicilian
30-05-10, 17:40
Extrat the file vti-duo-image-v1.1-28052010_usb.zip. you will then find the 3 files listed below: -

kernel_cfe_auto.bin
boot_cfe_auto.jffs2
root_cfe_auto.jffs2

As per the first post in this thread.

Copy them to vuplus/duo

What exactly is the issue you are having?

pege63
30-05-10, 17:42
I downloaded from this site and there is only 1 file inside thats why asking i KNOW that should be 3 BUT there is still only 1 file inside?

pege63
30-05-10, 18:01
This is how i see it on my screen

Berggren
30-05-10, 18:38
Pege63: What you see on your screenshot is correct, but winzip shows it for some reason not as a folder but an unknown folder.
I get the same result but when unzipped it it gave me folder with the correct amount of files inside.
Don´t open the result with winzip, just doubleclick on the extracted folder and it should be ok.

pege63
30-05-10, 18:51
Aha OKi well thats explains it all the file is a folder that has to be extracted after that you be able to se all 3 files, tack för hjälpen

Berggren
30-05-10, 18:56
Inga problem, alltid roligt att kunna hjälpa till :cool:

Sorry, had to reply in swedish :p

Sicilian
30-05-10, 18:59
I'll re-pack the file and re-upload so it extracts into its correct folders.

pooface
03-06-10, 07:01
Followed this perfectly when I did my first flash. However, I made a few changes that the box wouldn't keep, so I wanted to reflash it...

Put the stick in to the front usb port, and it came up very briefly with "Reading USB" or whatever message, and then started to load the previous image...

Had to remove the usb stick in the back of the machine for it to actually flash using the front usb... Now, I'm likely to flash it using the front usb for ease of use, but don't really wanna have to keep removing the rear usb stick to do this... Is there any way to make it read the front usb first (as it looks to me like it's reading the rear usb, thinking no file to flash, and then starting up...)

Sicilian
03-06-10, 07:04
No, you have to remove the rear stick when re-flashing.

wobbler
03-06-10, 12:45
Sorry if this the wrong thread to ask this, but how do I keep all my current settings and try out a new image?
Since receiving the box a week ago the only thing I have done is flash it with the latest Pli image.
This morning I thought I would try the latest official image Ver4.8 which I got from your link and flashed, but of course it just effectively starts from the beginning asking for language, tuner settings etc.
Fortunately I had followed your guide to taking a backup so was able to flash back and everything was as before.
Having spent ages setting up different satellites for the positioner is there a way to save some settings files first, flash with the official image, then apply the saved settings on top?
Thanks

digicell
07-09-10, 17:55
Hi,

I downloaded the VIX image but there is two files in the section:
(1) VIX_V1.0_Team_Image.nfi
(2) VIX_V1.0_Team_Image.zip

What is the purpose of the .nfi things?

Am I right in thinking that I need to extract the .zip folder on the USB Stick duo??

Thanks

pooface
08-09-10, 10:57
Hi,

I downloaded the VIX image but there is two files in the section:
(1) VIX_V1.0_Team_Image.nfi
(2) VIX_V1.0_Team_Image.zip

What is the purpose of the .nfi things?

Am I right in thinking that I need to extract the .zip folder on the USB Stick duo??

Thanks

The nfi is used if you are doing a multi-boot by using something like barry allen.

Just extract the .zip file, and use that :)

TreoComp
09-09-10, 21:58
Sorry if this the wrong thread to ask this, but how do I keep all my current settings and try out a new image?
Since receiving the box a week ago the only thing I have done is flash it with the latest Pli image.
This morning I thought I would try the latest official image Ver4.8 which I got from your link and flashed, but of course it just effectively starts from the beginning asking for language, tuner settings etc.
Fortunately I had followed your guide to taking a backup so was able to flash back and everything was as before.
Having spent ages setting up different satellites for the positioner is there a way to save some settings files first, flash with the official image, then apply the saved settings on top?
Thanks

For the channelsettings you can use dreamboxedit
http://dreambox.happyllama.com/
With it you can transfer files between your Vu+ and your PC back and forth as many times u wish.

tashaza
21-09-10, 14:24
hi shawi plz help me with vu+duo.i try to do flash with nfi image but no luck.so plz can u tell me total method.very thankfull.or my yahoo id han_par
i m avilable on yahoo 24/7 so plz help me for this.

Past2Present
21-09-10, 14:32
You have to put the vuplus map on your usb stick, not the nfi image for flashing!!

tashaza
21-09-10, 14:44
no i m using nul modem with nfi image.

Past2Present
21-09-10, 14:59
You can do that with VuUtil, power of the box on the rear, choose the right comport, fill in the ip of your pc, fill in the ip of the vu or choose dhcp, then press connect if the connection is ok, you see the message Serial port open success. Please turn on your box.
Then switch it on at back and got to the place where the nfi file is located and flash.

tashaza
21-09-10, 15:14
i m doing exactly what u said but it says continu and after exit vuutil program nothing happend bro.

Past2Present
21-09-10, 15:26
After flashing you get the message Complete flashing all, now first click on disconnect en then press exit, turn the box off and on.

tashaza
21-09-10, 15:43
no still no luck bro and i also try with usb flash file with usb but no no luck ither.i dont know what to do?

Past2Present
21-09-10, 15:52
Then you`ve another problem, which image was on the box and where did it go wrong?

tashaza
22-09-10, 12:26
any one helping for vu+duo please?

Berggren
22-09-10, 13:12
Have you done these steps in the correct order?

1. Format your memory stick on your PC to be FAT32.
2. Unzip the USB upgrade files into memorystick, leaving you with the following folderstructure on your memorystick
vuplus---
--duo---
--and here you should have three files.
3. Power off your VU+ Duo.
4. Insert memory stick into front USB slot on the Vu+ Duo.
5. Power on your VU+ Duo and follow the on screen instructions.

This works for me everytime and should do so for you to. If it doesn´t then we have another problem.

tashaza
22-09-10, 13:19
thanks i try that but dont boot. i try nfi via nulcable but no luck so please help friend for something else.

tashaza
23-09-10, 12:58
any help for vu+duo please badly need help.not booting atall.try everything but no luck.

Past2Present
23-09-10, 13:27
when you give no more info as asked before, no one can help you and you have to send the box in for repair.

tashaza
23-09-10, 13:42
ok i try puting image with usb ,image going in but when i power off at back and back on its say starting and not going further,also i try with null cable and same thing.

grtmoby
23-09-10, 13:44
after u turn power off, remove the usb from front slot, turn power on and wait for a while with it displaying "starting"

Past2Present
23-09-10, 13:45
No multibooting on the box, before?

tashaza
23-09-10, 14:00
i dont know and i wait 15 minut after starting.

tashaza
23-09-10, 14:05
no. i dont thik so.

grtmoby
23-09-10, 14:08
no not up to 15 minutes.... it is a max of 2 or 3 minutes.

did the box showed on display "Remove usb and Reboot"

as asked earlier, were you using multiboot

tashaza
23-09-10, 14:10
yes on the box showed on display "Remove usb and Reboot .then i take usb and switch off and back on.

tashaza
23-09-10, 14:12
no multiboot .

k2s
30-09-10, 12:49
make sure there is no other USB device attached

wf_m65
01-10-10, 08:51
Thank You Man

sooty
22-12-10, 09:22
Hi guys, is it safe to change image with HDD still connected, do the saved film files map across ok in new images?
I haven't changed my image since I installed VTi but want to change to VIX now.
Thanks,

Sicilian
22-12-10, 11:29
Hi guys, is it safe to change image with HDD still connected, do the saved film files map across ok in new images?
I haven't changed my image since I installed VTi but want to change to VIX now.
Thanks,

Yes it will be fine. Just dont re-initialize your HDD.

sooty
22-12-10, 13:26
Thanks mate

satmanbasil
22-12-10, 13:28
Hi Tashaza

Couple of things to check when you restart the vu+ after flashing watch the front panel it should read vu duo when its loaded. Also how have you connected the vu+ in the past I have experienced a glitch with hdmi not booting the tv hdmi hence making it look like the flash has failed so I plugged in a scart cable to see if that allows me to see the set up wizzard if thats the case you can then follow the install setup then go back to hdmi connection and check afterwards.

And just another check u did it right ...did you on your us stick have file vuplus and inside that another called duo and inside that one the 3 files (unzipped) which is the image. Only ask as i have come across people loading a nfi file

regards
satmanbasil

Ex-TM6900
09-01-11, 21:23
yep..diks like me tried wid nfi file...doah

mlc1967
28-04-11, 17:20
how long should it take for the flash process, mines been stuck on programming............. for the last 15 mins ???
cheers
mark

punisher
28-04-11, 17:22
normally only takes a few minutes, but for some taken longer ... have you tried another usb stick and made sure its formatted in fat32?

bassethound
28-04-11, 17:24
should take less than 5min try redounding the image again

format the usb to Fat 32 and make sure you have no other USB stick in the back

patmyhead
21-05-11, 12:54
hi sent the morning trying to get the usb stick to work have formatted to fat 32 loaded the files
jffs2 0kb
vcl media file 1829kb
jffst file 38243kb

have tried this file on 2 ub sticks but when i power down insert stick box either wont boot up or asks me if i want to format the usb stick
have read right through this forum for what i am doing wrong ,do i have to to adjustments inside the duo? to maybe make it see usb drive
i have installed hard drive with no problems just followed instructions given
box came with image installed so i have never before tried to change the image
any help much appreciated please in a easy to understand way please
thanks

Pat

bassethound
21-05-11, 12:58
There is a sticky here on how to flash your U+

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick

patmyhead
21-05-11, 14:56
thank for reply but already read & followed this sticky but become unstuck when inserting usb stick in duo as it don't seem to recognise it
Pat

punisher
21-05-11, 15:10
thank for reply but already read & followed this sticky but become unstuck when inserting usb stick in duo as it don't seem to recognise it
Pat

Have you done these steps on ur usb stick

1. Create a directory in called vuplus.
2. Within the the vuplus directory create another folder called duo.

Then place those 3 files in the duo folder. Make sure all other usb devices are unplugged then switch off the box. Stick usb stick at front then switchin on and it should start reading usb

patmyhead
21-05-11, 16:02
done that i think but boot file shows nothing in it is this correct

punisher
21-05-11, 16:19
done that i think but boot file shows nothing in it is this correct

Where did u download the image from? Also the boot file is 0kb so its not a problem. Redownload the image from this forum the latest one and give that at ry again

patmyhead
21-05-11, 17:35
got download from here followed all advice given to me but am now given up & sticking with black hole as last try knocked out hdmi so had to faf around getting that sorted
thanks again might try again in a few days
Pat

Stanman
22-05-11, 20:57
If you downloaded the image from here especially VIX, just extract the file and put the folder in it called VUPLUS on to the fat32 formatted stick and put this into the USB - make sure no other USB is plugged in, shutdown and power off and than on.

tricky
01-06-11, 18:06
The USB files required to flash are placed in the vuplus/duo folder in the USB drive.
There are 3 files whch if come in a zip, need to be extracted to the duo folder.
The 3 files are :
boot_cfe_auto.jffs2
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
root_cfe_auto.jffs2

those are the three that knocked my vix and enigma 11 visuals off,

redout
09-07-11, 21:14
As regards formatting your memory stick to PC FAT32 I have found that older pen drives like mine (bought 2004) and only do FAT are capable of flashing the image.

JulesW
20-10-11, 02:35
Hey,

About to upgrade to vix 2.2. Just wanna make sure how do I back up my settings and more importantly my bouquets so I won't have to set up everything after the 2.2 is on.

Any guides on that? Couldn't find any...

Thanks!

Larry-G
20-10-11, 02:44
use dreambox edit or dreamset to backup your bouquets and make sure if your using a softcam to backup the configuration files. then you should be ok to flash the new image. once your on VIX 2.2 run a full update via the blue button > VIX. you can also backup your image and settings directly from within VIX 2.2 again via the blue button > vix > backup manager and image manager.

JulesW
20-10-11, 02:47
Hey,

About to upgrade to vix 2.2. Just wanna make sure how do I back up my settings and more importantly my bouquets so I won't have to set up everything after the 2.2 is on.

Thanks!

punisher
20-10-11, 02:49
Have a look in my signature for link to tutorial for using vix image manager and backup manager

JulesW
20-10-11, 02:50
Hey,

Thanks!

JulesW
20-10-11, 15:38
Hey,

Thanks!

Larry-G
20-10-11, 15:43
Hey,

Thanks!

you have now posted this exact same post 5 times in this thread one after another, even after being given help please read the posts above yours.

JulesW
20-10-11, 15:43
Oops...sorry for the re-post... server error had me do it!

Thanks for the reply.

I'll go try the back up manager.

btw, any idea from where I can d/l bouqutes of 7e, 13e and 16e?

Thanks!

Larry-G
20-10-11, 15:46
have a look here,

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Enigma-2-Settings

maybe try the vhannible packs.

JulesW
20-10-11, 15:48
Everytime I post something it gives me an error msg so I hit reload and....

Deeply apologize for that. It keeps happening...

JulesW
20-10-11, 15:51
That looks good. Thanks!

Larry-G
20-10-11, 15:53
Everytime I post something it gives me an error msg so I hit reload and....

Deeply apologize for that. It keeps happening...

no worries, were having a few issues we are currently working through on the site.

JulesW
20-10-11, 15:58
Have a look in my signature for link to tutorial for using vix image manager and backup manager

There's no "backup manager" on my vix menu. Only "image manager" is there (plus 5 other things).

From where do I d/l and install the "backup manager"?

Gonzo
20-10-11, 16:25
You can use Dreamboxedit to backup your bouquets.

JulesW
20-10-11, 16:34

There's no "backup manager" on my vix menu. Only "image manager" is there (plus 5 other things).

From where do I d/l and install the "backup manager"?

Larry-G
20-10-11, 16:36
there was no backup manager in the VIX images prior to 2.2 as andy specifically wrote that app for that version. just backup your bouquet with DBE or a similar program and backup what ever configuration files you have then flash the new 2.2 image.

Dazed
15-03-12, 07:33
Tried to update to VIX 2.2.1 this morning with no success. The box will not power up at all. Tried four different USB flash drives all formatted to FAT. No other flash drives in rear of the box. Files on flash drives were vuplus folder with duo folder inside and three files inside that. A bit stuck as to what to try next.

Rob van der Does
15-03-12, 07:37
Why do you want to 'update' to a very old image?
What image did you run before?
Is the box still functional on your present image?
Did you leave the power switch off for 30 sec or more?
Is there only a fixed red LED on the display?

Dazed
15-03-12, 08:15
Thanks for the reply.

It was running fine on Vix 1.1 or 1.2 (the one with the man in the boat rowing on starting enigma) but I just fancied a change and didn't want to change the bootloader for the latest VIX.

I managed to get it to flash the image. I still had my LAN cable connected before but after removing it the box flashed.

Rob van der Does
15-03-12, 08:25
OK, good you sorted it.
Still I would advise you to upgrade to 2.3-204: the bootloader upgrade is just as easy to do as a firmwareupgrade (only much faster).

merwan
09-04-12, 14:31
any 1 can help me pls how tu put softcam on vudou thx

merwan
09-04-12, 14:40
hi pls help me i put new image but now no softcam pls help thx

Larry-G
09-04-12, 14:51
hi pls help me i put new image but now no softcam pls help thx

look here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9735-How-to-Install-CCcam-MGCamd-Others-on-Duo-Solo-Uno-ET9000-ET5000-ViX

ash888
03-08-12, 18:24
do all recorded programs get wiped while flashing.

im still running 2.2 from last year and been meaning to update for a while now.
thanks

Larry-G
03-08-12, 18:28
do all recorded programs get wiped while flashing.

im still running 2.2 from last year and been meaning to update for a while now.
thanks

no your movies will be ok as long as you dont format / initialize the hard drive.

ash888
04-08-12, 15:29
Thanks for your help.
i managed to update the box with no issues apart from 1 which is doing my head in.

the screen resolution seems fine for viewing channels but the menus, epg etc do not all fit on the screen?
the edges are all cut off so i cant see the whole menu. the first 2 or 3 letters do not fit on the screen, and also the options at the bottom like press red, blue etc do not all fit either.

have tried reseting box, changing resolution and reloading skin no luck so far.
any ideas?

Larry-G
04-08-12, 15:32
you need to adjust the OSD position ( on screen display )

menu> setup> system> OSD> OSD POSITION.

Rob van der Does
04-08-12, 16:08
Or (much, much) better: turn off 'overscan' on your TV.

ash888
04-08-12, 16:33
Many thanks again guys, just adjusted the OSD.
couldn't make out what this option was as it was cut off before.

i have another issue i just stummbled across, i cant get the webinterface to open on my pc.
typed in the ip of my duo as i used to and the page doesnt load.

tried installing vlc plugin but it crashes everytime i try and add a server.
even if i cancel the 'add server' is crashes.

s1m0nw
04-08-12, 19:49
get the Vu+ control center and access it from there

ash888
04-08-12, 22:44
control centre just opens the browser but i get the same results.

tried in safari and internet explorer none of them load it???

ash888
04-08-12, 23:49
got it working guys, i just had to add the webinterface port after the ip address in the browser.

thanks for you help guys.

Bat
03-10-12, 08:51
Hi,
Do you still need to install the bootloader before installing 3.xxx as you used to with the 2.x.x ?
I'm trying to work out why I can't mount my NAS shares in 3.0...
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Bat
03-10-12, 09:53
Hi,
Sorted now, had to run NFS Setup first.
Mounted drives still show as unmounted in Network browser although showing as mounted in Mountpoint manager :confused:
Cheers,
Gavin :)

umesh
29-11-12, 20:57
hi i am thi i am tatley new be i have dowlode image its reding use and its showing me starting but nothing is happning and i can see red light only in my box what i am doing wrong have i mess up my box

Mr. Mister
29-11-12, 21:11
hi i am thi i am tatley new be i have dowlode image its reding use and its showing me starting but nothing is happning and i can see red light only in my box what i am doing wrong have i mess up my box

As has been cover on this very forum100`s of time.. and prolly this very thread 10 times..

You need to flash the cfe bootloader for your duo 1st.. then flash the image of your choise..

edmundz
26-12-12, 11:35
Hi Guys,

I like to try the VIX image on my VU DUO but I see the vuplus/duo folder contains two more files then I am used to see in other images.
The "reboot-update" and the "image version", is that OK can I leave these files on the USB stick and flash it?

Thanks

Edmund

Rob van der Does
26-12-12, 11:57
I like to try the VIX image on my VU DUO but I see the vuplus/duo folder contains two more files then I am used to see in other images.
The "reboot-update" and the "image version", is that OK can I leave these files on the USB stick and flash it?
Yes.
The reboot-file doesn't do anything on the DUO & Solo (it does on other VU's) and the image-version is for your info only.

edmundz
26-12-12, 13:13
Yes.
The reboot-file doesn't do anything on the DUO & Solo (it does on other VU's) and the image-version is for your info only.

Thanks

Edmund

pac2000
05-01-13, 23:35
The 3 files are :
boot_cfe_auto.jffs2
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
root_cfe_auto.jffs2

Hi I'm Trying To Flash My Duo From Vix 3.0 Build 404 To Build 552 And The Download Include The Following Files:-
splash_cfe_auto.bin
root_cfe_auto.jffs2
reboot.update
kernal_cfe_auto.bin
imageversion

Where Do I Get The "boot_cfe_auto.jffs2" File From??? :confused:

judge
05-01-13, 23:43
Download the latest version from here:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BDuo/
Extract to your usb stick using the exact folder formation used in the zip.
So, you should have:
Usb stick -> vuplus -> duo -> all required files.

pac2000
05-01-13, 23:48
No If You Look Above They Are The Only Files Within The ZIP... I Am Downloading From The Link You've Provided... There Is No "boot_cfe_auto.jffs2" File...

Thanks For Your Quick Reply... I've Attached The Winrar File List As An Image...

judge
05-01-13, 23:54
Have you tried flashing with the download?
Sorry, the thread is too long to read through every post, so not really sure what the issue is? Just stick the download on your USB stick in the correct folder structure & you should be fine.

pac2000
06-01-13, 00:15
Thanks Judge, I Used My 8Gb Instead Of My 32Gb And That Worked... Just Confused Me At The First Few Posts Stipulating That You Needed The "boot_cfe_auto.jffs2" File...

judge
06-01-13, 00:18
Glad you are sorted, some boxes get shitty about USB sticks, my DUOs take any stick I throw at them though.

Rob van der Does
06-01-13, 06:28
Thanks Judge, I Used My 8Gb Instead Of My 32Gb And That Worked... Just Confused Me At The First Few Posts Stipulating That You Needed The "boot_cfe_auto.jffs2" File...
Those 'boot_cfe_auto.jffs2' files are not required for VU's (they were in the old days for DreamBoxes, never for VU's). Some imagemakers still provide them, but as they are useless you can omit them.

degoosefish
13-01-13, 22:08
Hi All I am going to flash up also I currently have build 527 and I have the same issue as another duo user I can't use the software update option within the menu as it starts the process and then stalls saying it needs to do a background check and then says check back in a few mins. Anyway I see on the forum that issue has been resolved but I need to flash on this occasion to get from build 527 to the current 558 which I am happy to do via usb.

My question is as I have never flashed an image before will the flash change anything on the duo ie my wifes auto timers, will the auto timers hold after the flash on the box or will I have to re add all these auto timers again via the epg ?

second question - should I do the vix updates on a regular basis even if my duo is working ok.

judge
13-01-13, 22:17
Yes, the flash will wipe the box & all it's settings.
The good news is, you can create a settings back-up first.
Menu -> Setup -> ViX -> Backup Manager -> green button for new backup.

Then, when you flash the image, you can do a settings restore, so all timers, cams, other settings will be restored in no time.

degoosefish
13-01-13, 22:18
ah cheers mate I forgot about that back up you just saved me an ear bashing from her indoors ha ha

Rob van der Does
14-01-13, 06:28
second question - should I do the vix updates on a regular basis even if my duo is working ok.
If you want to use the latest updates, bugfixes and features: yes.
I can't really give a good advice here: I always update to the latest version (at the risk of sometimes accepting a bug, and sometimes even have to revert to a previous version), some do it on a weekly or monthly basis, some never do.

matt 07
24-01-13, 22:12
Hi I am a newbie, so don't really have a clue but I really need to learn how to update my box :eek:. I have manage to download the update and I put two new folders in my usb stick 1st vuplus and 2nd duo, I then extracted the update to the duo folder however I have ended up with 5 files, which are as follows, imageversion, kernel_cfe_auto.bin, reboot.update, root_cfe_auto.jffs2, splash_cfe_auto.bin. does anybody know where I have gone wrong? would appreciate any HELPPP.
Thanks

Stanman
24-01-13, 22:19
Hi I am a newbie, so don't really have a clue but I really need to learn how to update my box :eek:. I have manage to download the update and I put two new folders in my usb stick 1st vuplus and 2nd duo, I then extracted the update to the duo folder however I have ended up with 5 files, which are as follows, imageversion, kernel_cfe_auto.bin, reboot.update, root_cfe_auto.jffs2, splash_cfe_auto.bin. does anybody know where I have gone wrong? would appreciate any HELPPP.
Thanks

Just download the image and drag and drop the folder VUPLUS to your usb stick and insert and restart and follow the instructions on the VFD

mickyblueys
24-01-13, 22:20
Format your stick fat 32 extract the update then drag and drop the extracted files to the stick. you do not need to make any extra folders or anything it should extract to the correct structure.turn off duo, pull it any other USB. Insert you're USB with files on, power back on follow VFd display.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

matt 07
24-01-13, 22:53
Format your stick fat 32 extract the update then drag and drop the extracted files to the stick. you do not need to make any extra folders or anything it should extract to the correct structure.turn off duo, pull it any other USB. Insert you're USB with files on, power back on follow VFd display.

Thanks for the reply, I have a fat32 stick already didn't need to convert, I have tried everything but just can't seen to end up with the 3 files:eek::confused: been trying for hours :mad:

judge
24-01-13, 23:04
On the the usb stick, you should have:

USBSTICK -> vuplus -> duo -> then all 5 files.

matt 07
24-01-13, 23:16

This is what I am doing, I put two new folders in my usb stick 1st vuplus and 2nd duo which is in the vuplus folder, I then extracted the update to the duo folder and ended up with 5 files, which are, imageversion, kernel_cfe_auto.bin, reboot.update, root_cfe_auto.jffs2, splash_cfe_auto.bin. which isn't the three that should be in there :eek::eek::eek:

matt 07
24-01-13, 23:20

This is what I am doing, I put two new folders in my usb stick 1st vuplus and 2nd duo which is in the vuplus folder, I then extracted the update to the duo folder and ended up with 5 files, which are, imageversion, kernel_cfe_auto.bin, reboot.update, root_cfe_auto.jffs2, splash_cfe_auto.bin. which isn't the three that should be in there :eek::eek::eek:

judge
24-01-13, 23:36
There is no need to create any new folders, format the USB stick & extract the image onto it as it is.

mickyblueys
25-01-13, 00:14
Have you tried a different USB stick.it may be incompatible.....or try placing it in a different USB slot on box.

ronsmythe
30-03-13, 11:43
Any chance of an experienced member putting up a complete setup for Vu+Duo ready to put onto USB for first time initialising the box. Would be a great help to the less technical minded of us!!!:)

mickyblueys
30-03-13, 11:59
Any chance of an experienced member putting up a complete setup for Vu+Duo ready to put onto USB for first time initialising the box. Would be a great help to the less technical minded of us!!!:)

Haven't you read post 1 by Sicilian?

Larry-G
30-03-13, 12:16
as pointed out the very first post of this thread details exactly the process of flashing a Duo via a USB stick. Thats as detailed as is needed.

stevesom
31-03-13, 15:42
as pointed out the very first post of this thread details exactly the process of flashing a Duo via a USB stick. Thats as detailed as is needed.
i think its number 2 and 3 can be a little confusing as it states to make directories and there is no need, last time i flashed the duo i was creating the directories and the box wouldnt update, when i just extracted the files to the usb without the directories, the directories stated in 2 and 3 were automatically generated when the file were extracted, hope this makes sense.

tomhick02
03-04-13, 15:31
I'm trying to clear this in my own head so i can update my VU+ duo with out turning it into a brick!!

The instructions at the start of this thread is the way i flashed my VU 2 years ago but have read somewhere since that i need to update the 'Bootloader' before i install the latest image from here!!

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?20199-New-ViX-Team-VU-Duo-OE3-0-Release

My current image is vix2.2 so i have never updated the bootloader,

the above image link has 4 files in it but no reference to bootloader, can someone help me please on where to find bootloader update file and how to do it please,,
was a big days work for me to update the last time which explains why im a bit aprehensive about it again!!
The above image link has

mickyblueys
03-04-13, 15:40
The bootloader is in www.openvix.co.uk
The images are there too.

You flash the bootloader first and in the same way you would the image.

Larry-G
03-04-13, 15:41
You can get the latest bootloader for your receiver from www.openvix.co.uk and flash it exactly the same way as you would a regular image.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tomhick02
03-04-13, 15:47
Thanks Mickyblueys,

I now see 5 files in the folder, can i just put on usb and vu will automatically update bootloader,, forgive my ignorance on the subject!!
Thanks

Downloaded this one openvix-3.0.632-vuduo_usb.zip

Larry-G
03-04-13, 15:51
Thanks Mickyblueys,

I now see 5 files in the folder, can i just put on usb and vu will automatically update bootloader,, forgive my ignorance on the subject!!
Thanks

Downloaded this one openvix-3.0.632-vuduo_usb.zip

Go to the openvix site and go to the bootloader section, for the duo you need the cfe.3.0 file. Flash this first and separate to the image.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tomhick02
03-04-13, 15:56
Thanks for your help, ill have a root around for it now!

Cheers again.

Larry-G
05-05-13, 13:46
New .pdf tutorial added to the first post.

Davy4475
18-06-13, 20:59
just about to update my box and bootloader, will i lose my channels when i do?

smokey_jnr
17-12-13, 15:40
guys,

is it possible to go from a blackhole image to a vix, if so how?

Larry-G
17-12-13, 15:45
Go to www.openvix.co.uk into tjet tutorials sectio for a flashing tutorial and use that to flash a new image

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sparky81
04-04-14, 19:01
Hi - newbie here...

Bought a new Vu Duo two weeks ago, flashed with (what I presume is) the latest Vix image, however after setting it up and finding things weren't working so well, numb nuts here tried to do a software update and things went wrong. I no longer have connection to my laptop via ftp and error messages keep appearing, therefore I assume I need to do a factory reset and re-flash.

Is this the correct way to do it, or would I be able to fix it without re-flashing? Any help would be appreciated - I'm still very wet behind the ears when it comes to using this technology (all completely new to me!)... :confused:

Sparky81
04-04-14, 19:14
Further to this, which Image should I be downloading to my USB for this? Should I go for the last file posted in this thread (posted 30/09/12)?

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?20199-New-ViX-Team-VU-Duo-OE3-0-Release

Larry-G
04-04-14, 19:18
Thats where you went wrong, updating from a ancient build all the way up, your lucky you didnt brick the box, look at www.openvix.co.uk for the latest images.

Sparky81
04-04-14, 19:32
Thanks! Just to confirm, the box still plays fta channels (all it was set up for originally). I presume when a box is bricked, it does absolutely nothing - just checking to ensure it's not already bricked!

Larry-G
04-04-14, 19:35
if it were bricked it would not boot up, ie only as useful as a house brick.

Just grab the latest image from the openvix site ( make sure you load the correct one not the Duo2 ), there are some flashing tutorials there too.

Sparky81
04-04-14, 19:39
Nice one - I'm going to download openvix-Zeus.018-vuduo_usb.zip (dated 01/04/14). I'd be screwed without help from this forum!

Larry-G
04-04-14, 19:44
Thats what we are here for.

Sparky81
04-04-14, 19:52
Forgot to check - should I do a factory reset on the box before re-flashing? Thanks in advance...

judge
04-04-14, 19:55
Forgot to check - should I do a factory reset on the box before re-flashing? Thanks in advance...

No need, just flash it.

Sparky81
04-04-14, 20:03
So I've put the files on the USB stick (as per the instructions at the start of this thread), powered down the box (switch on the back), put the USB in the front slot and powered up. The box came on with the message 'reading USB stick' (light on stick was flashing) and the box just seems to have come on as before (TV channel playing and same error message on screen). The box says 'OnlineVersionCheck' on the front panel and nothing more is happening. Any ideas? Sorry to be bothering you with this...

Sparky81
04-04-14, 20:29
Tried a different USB - exactly the same thing has happened...

Sparky81
04-04-14, 20:43
Three sticks, plus front and back ports - same result every time. If anyone can help, you'd make a dumb newbie very happy!

judge
04-04-14, 20:45
Are you sure you've extracted the image correctly onto the USB stick?

Sparky81
04-04-14, 21:17
I've done this...

- Downloaded 'openvix-Zeus.018-vuduo_usb.zip' from http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Vu%2BDuo/
- Formatted USB (fat32)
- Created folder called in it called 'vuplus'
- Created a sub-folder within that called 'duo'
- Unzipped contents of downloaded file to 'duo' (checked the stick and files were in it)
- Turned off Vu Duo (back switch) and put memory stick in
- Turned box on
- Box detects stick - 'starting' on front panel
- Eventually the box boots up and goes to TV channel with error message on screen
- Front panel says 'OnlineVersionCheck'

Can I post a picture on here yet? I've got a picture of what's on screen

Andy_Hazza
04-04-14, 21:23
Follow this link for latest Vu+ Duo image >> http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BDuo/

Sparky81
04-04-14, 21:26
The file I used was dated 1st April - is that not the latest one?

Here is what I get on screen: http://s28.postimg.org/6dbrtht6x/20140404_204214.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6dbrtht6x/)

Larry-G
04-04-14, 22:46
no need to create folders on the USB stick, read this tutorial and try again. ignore the references to vix 3.0 it's the same procedure to flash zeus.

http://openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/&file=How%20to%20flash%20a%20Vu%2B%20Duo.pdf

b4ndit74
07-04-14, 21:30
Does the bootloader need flashing to my new duo b4 flashing the Zeus image, or is the bootloader built into the image ?

Thanks

Larry-G
07-04-14, 21:33
There has not been a bootloader update for the Duo in at least a year, so unless you have been on a really really old image all that time, you have no need to mess with the bootloader.