PDA

View Full Version : Can I partition HD?

darp
13-10-10, 13:31
Hi all,

If I partition my HD will the VU see it as 2 drives???

Thanks
darp

grtmoby
13-10-10, 14:21
yes u can do this

out of curiosity, what for, what is the benefits

darp
13-10-10, 15:12
Thanks for the reply.....

I have a spare 2TB drive :p but have read about issues with HD's above 1TB. Thought if I split it in two it would solve the problem?

darp

grtmoby
13-10-10, 15:22
Thanks for the reply.....

I have a spare 2TB drive :p but have read about issues with HD's above 1TB. Thought if I split it in two it would solve the problem?

darp

aaaah now i get it ;)

think pooface is using the same setup and trick as well :D

darp
17-10-10, 15:03
OK. Another Question.

How can I view this second partition on my network ?

compufunk
18-10-10, 22:25
OK. Another Question.

How can I view this second partition on my network ?

Assuming that the partition is formatted and mounted, Install samba and modify /etc/samba/smb.conf accordingly.

pooface
19-10-10, 10:26
Sorry for not replying...

Yeah, I'm using the same technique darp. Have a 2tb hdd installed, partitioned in to 2 x 1tb linux drives, and formatted as ext3. Using the vix image and devices manager, have them mounted as hdd and hdd2.

I currently use hdd as my main recordings drive, and then using hdd2 as my archive/download drive. So, if I have any tv shows I've aquired, I put them on hdd2 under a Downloads directory, then I have an archive directory on hdd2 also. In /media/hdd/movie I have created symlinks to the directories on hdd2, and can browse over to them easily using the recordings menu in the VIX image. I can also move recordings from the main /media/hdd/movie to /media/hdd2/archive very easily in the vix image...

Haven't tried what compufunk has put rw modding samba, as I just use ftp to access the drives. Will will give that a go and see how it works...

darp
19-10-10, 12:29
Thanks for the tips guys.....

Samba is already installed, I've added my 'hdd2' to smb.conf and it works great, got it mapped on my pc now :)

In /media/hdd/movie I have created symlinks to the directories on hdd2, and can browse over to them easily using the recordings menu in the VIX image.

I'll nick this idea as well ;)

cheers
darp