PDA

View Full Version : Some motorised dish related queries

tooner
15-07-13, 14:01
Hi

I've recently bought a uno2 and I'm going to take the leap and get a motorised dish. I'm having someone stick it up for me but I've got a couple of things I'm not sure about.

1) I want lots of sats and I'm in N.Ireland so I'm thinking a 1m dish should do it. Any big benefits in going larger? I'm mainly after Premier League games.

2) The guy who is going to do my install is reluctant because he says motors aren't reliable and they start playing up quite quickly. Is this the case?

3) Can anyone recommend a kit or which equipment to buy please? I've seen kits on ebay for £70 but I've no idea if they're any good or not. I'm not scared to spend if it's going to be better and/or more reliable.

4) From what I gather it's simple enough to get it to point at one sat but if it's not straight it won't follow the arc properly. If I can get 2 sats that are quite far apart will that mean the alignment is OK?

5) Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance
tooner

Rob van der Does
15-07-13, 14:15
ad 2) Motors are (or can be) very reliable. I have two cheap ones in use for almost 9 years now, and never had any issue at all.

ad 4) The main trick is that the pole must be exactly vertical. Any minor deviation will result in problems receiving satellites that are far to the West/East.

drx360
15-07-13, 14:26
If your fairly competent you can install it yourself no probs, as rob said above getting it 100% plumb is crucial ,i know a few few irish guys swear by 1.2m dishes but maybe someone on here who lives in your neck of the woods can give advice on what they pick up on what size dish etc, its really not as complicated as it looks or sounds to install one, common sense and patience are a must, good luck :)

oh and ive had my motor 3 years and never had a single problem with it and it gets a bashing when the footy season is in full swing :)

tooner
15-07-13, 14:37
Thanks for replying so quickly! Looks like I might have to go to 1.2m then. Is there a particular brand I should go with to know I'm getting good kit? I've not got a head for heights and I'm not particularly good at DIY so I'd prefer to leave it to the experts. I'm hoping my friend will only charge me £100 or so but he's going to get back to me soon.

drx360
15-07-13, 15:18
i guess that comes down to budget and opinion, my 1m dish and motor cost me £80 and in my opinion its just as good as anything else, been flawless ever since ive had it, others you could look at are technomate, triax to name a few.

Alec
15-07-13, 15:28
2) The guy who is going to do my install is reluctant because he says motors aren't reliable and they start playing up quite quickly. Is this the case?

Motors are very reliable, but you can always buy a lemon. This site has sponsors so we can't really recommend anyone else. The advice this guy is giving, is he the right person for the installation? Dish sizes, it is the case of what satellites you want the dish pointing at,and checking the foot prints for your area.

Larry-G
15-07-13, 16:02
A Little late to the party I know, but a decent motor with metal gearing like a TM2600 should easily last you 10 years or more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tooner
15-07-13, 23:04
I think I'm going to go for the triax 1.1m from WoS and TM2600 with Inverto Black Ultra single LNB. If I want to get 360 degrees I'm going to have to get a pole and brackets etc. Can you buy those online or am I best trying to get something locally?

Thanks again
tooner

Larry-G
16-07-13, 00:16
I think I'm going to go for the triax 1.1m from WoS and TM2600 with Inverto Black Ultra single LNB. If I want to get 360 degrees I'm going to have to get a pole and brackets etc. Can you buy those online or am I best trying to get something locally?

Thanks again
tooner

Not really sure what you want here but no dish has 360 degree visibility it's just impossible.

Rob van der Does
16-07-13, 05:37
If I want to get 360 degrees I'm going to have to get
I think you'll have to go to the moon or so for that :confused:

tooner
16-07-13, 09:06
I think you'll have to go to the moon or so for that :confused:

Ah OK. I think I need to do a bit more reading! Cheers.