PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo does not kill HDMI+scart output when in standby + other issues

Drag0nFly
13-10-10, 13:11
I am a new user of the Vu+ Duo, which so far is an impressive machine. I do have some nagging issues which I'd like answers to though, and one of them is how the unit behaves when going into standby.

When doing this, I notice that it momentarily drops the HDMI signal and then re-synchronizes and shows a dimmed version of the background image. I had assumed (hoped?) that a standby procedure at the very least killed the video outputs in order for it to appear to be in standby, and obvously also consume less power.

So far I've only tested this with the original image + PLi. I am however unsure if it relates to the image itself, though.

Also noticed a (more minor) issue when setting the date on the unit. This constantly reverted to '01. Jan. 2000'. Was only able to set the time, and eventually used a Perl script to sync the time from an NTP server which I put into cron. This happened with both the orig. image and PLi, and there was no option, as far as I could see, to change this after the initial setup (only timezone). VIX might be different--haven't tried that yet.

Which leads me to this question: is there a ntpdate-binary available for the Vu+? (I notice that it has 'rdate' available in BusyBox) I looked for plugins for it, but did not find any.

Drag0nFly
13-10-10, 15:24
The last Q can be ignored, as it was due to not having an active sat feed. However, the setup procedure should probably be changed, since trying to modify the date does nothing.

I am very interested to hear about others experiences with the standby-function, though, as it came as a surprise that the video output was still active. I know the box cannot be fully shut down to a proper sleep mode, but it should be able to at least shut down the graphical side of things.

Drag0nFly
14-10-10, 08:57
I doubt I am the only one who has noticed this and would like it improved? (if possible) Anyway--what do others think about the behaviour of the standby function?

2Hot
14-10-10, 10:58
I think the stanby mode characteristics might be related to type of image. I am using DE and have same problem in that the graphics is not completely shut down whilst in standby mode but a friend of mine that recently changed from DE to VTI image(not 100% sure of image name) said the graphics shut down in standby mode I am too in love with DE so I dont want try other image for now. Will verfy the right name for image he is using though.

2Hot
14-10-10, 11:00
PLi is correct image name not VTI as mentioned in my last post.

Drag0nFly
14-10-10, 11:59
Well I'm using the latest daily build of OpenPli, and it definitely does not shut off the video output when going into standby. FWIW, the guys at the PLi forum stated that this was driver-specific, and not related to PLi--so now I'm even more confused! ;)

I've not yet grasped the differences between what functionality is provided in the Enigma2 core, the DVB drivers and the various image flavors yet. Obviously hardware-level support is provided by vuplus.com, but I thought bits of the UI would control aspects such as outputting to display (in the same way as different runlevels control this on a Linux box)

Drag0nFly
14-10-10, 14:01
Apparently this was caused by a known bug in the drivers for the Vu+ and has existed since the beginning. I've sent a bug report concerning this issue to the Vu+ team @vuplus.com. Hope it'll get some priority, as I found it to be strange considering the other qualities of the receiver.

yngvekl
14-10-10, 22:10
My telly goes pitch black when Vu+ Duo goes into standby... No dimmed picture here.

zephyr4
15-10-10, 07:58
Same here using pli image, when I go to standby screen goes off and tv displays searching for signal.

Drag0nFly
15-10-10, 08:42
That is curious. Are you able to test using a std. LCD (PC) monitor? I'm using PLI's daily build from Oct. 12 (OpenPLi-beta-vuduo-20101012_usb.zip). Every time I bring the box into standby it loses the signal only for a few seconds (searching for signal), then it comes back on with a dimmed version of the background.

The admins at the PLi forum were the ones that suggested that this bug had not been fixed, and that it had existed for quite some time. Strange indeed. Maybe it's caused by a difference in the DVB modules--but then again I am puzzled as to why the people at OpenPli would state that it is not fixed?

Sicilian
15-10-10, 11:30
I must admit, I thought this bug had been fixed in a driver update a while back. I'm going to check mine tonight and report back.

Drag0nFly
15-10-10, 11:48
Thanks. I heard reports that some actually said it was working for them with the PLi image--which I found strange, as I've been using a recent daily build with the issue+the people at the OpenPli forum claiming it was unsolved. If such is the case, it might be because my box is using outdated drivers (haven't checked those yet)

btw. -- I'll probably be giving Vix a go this weekend also. The only thing that bothers me a bit is if the Multigraph EPG (GraphM-EPG) plugin, various skins (Magic-HD, LT6-HD, DMconenncityHD) & WiFi will work ok. Also am a little puzzled as to why it is using (together with other images ex PLi) a red-colored font for the subtitles. (?)

Sicilian
15-10-10, 11:52
WIFI work's well. There DMconenncityHD & Kerni R2 HD skins in plugins feed. Coolpeg is far (pre-installed) is far better the the pli graphical epg ;) I think the subtitle colour are so it can be understood that there is a different person speaking.

yngvekl
15-10-10, 21:09
Takes about 45.7 sec. to change default color...;) + a restart of the machine...

Drag0nFly
15-10-10, 22:21
Well, I can certainly scp the xml file in less than 45.7 secs to /etc/enigma2 on the Vu+ box, I assure you. ;). My observation was simply why red was chosen as the default.

Of bigger concern to me is the problem in the title of the post--as I've now upgraded the image + the mbox dvb modules to their latest versions and the issue with the display not being shut off in standby mode persists.

fulabeer
16-10-10, 00:51
I'm not sure if i have this right.
When you put the box into standby (one press of the power button), you are saying that the HDMI connection is still sending a signal?

Well i just tried my DUO, and when i press standby, the HDMI loses sync and shows no signal being received. (HDMI logo appears and stays on screen)
I left it for a while, but the HDMI signal is dead. (Panasonic 50 plasma etc)

Drag0nFly
16-10-10, 00:57
Well, this is interesting. When testing with the VIX 1.1 image, the screen does go blank after hitting the power button and putting the receiver into standby. However, the behaviour is somewhat the same--the monitor still loses sync briefly, and then it re-syncs only this time with a black or no image)

I re-tested this with the various other images and neither worked (incl. the original, which curiously had an 'empty' rectangular cube in the upper left corner showing as well as the background image)

Therefore it does seem to me that VIX has added some form of workaround for this--care to share with the rest of us? :)

Sicilian
16-10-10, 08:00
Well, this is interesting. When testing with the VIX 1.1 image, the screen does go blank after hitting the power button and putting the receiver into standby. However, the behaviour is somewhat the same--the monitor still loses sync briefly, and then it re-syncs only this time with a black or no image)

I re-tested this with the various other images and neither worked (incl. the original, which curiously had an 'empty' rectangular cube in the upper left corner showing as well as the background image)

Therefore it does seem to me that VIX has added some form of workaround for this--care to share with the rest of us? :)

Theres no work around, we're just using latest drivers/enigma2