PDA

View Full Version : Has Vix outgrown my Duo

TomD
14-07-13, 08:34
Hi

I've noticed that my box has become generally more unstable. I wondered if its because Vix has become too hungry to run? BTW all my epg and picons are on my HDD.

Tom D

Larry-G
14-07-13, 09:36
From my personal experience the base ViX image is one of the leanest and least memory hungry images going, it's when you add plugins that this changes and the same is true for all images.

on my boxes i run CCcam 2.2.1, AutoBouquetsMaker and OnDemand and thats pretty much it unless i'm specifically testing something, none have any problems including two Duo's.

stick50jr
14-07-13, 09:54
I run Vix on my Duo with a usb dual dvb-t tuner (see signature)... I run Evocamd2.17, on-demand, cacheflush, My TubePlayer and XMLTV-Importer. This is fairly modest in resource requirements but I do need cacheflush to preserve some sort of stability for the Duo. I think this is down to Vu+ vtuner problems rather than Vix.

I am still happy with the Duo and wouldn't want to use other than Vix. If I wanted to us a lot of other plugins, then maybe I would need to find a stb with more memory and cpu resources.

cheers

Foxylady
14-07-13, 10:06
Weird has i and my brother in law were talking about it yesterday during a barby.
I was explaining about metrix skin and he was saying it crashes when used which i knew how to solve it.
We both only use ours for ondemand, have swapfile and cacheflush, cccam 221 and normal viewing.
We both said the Duo is a cracking box and no need to part ways.
We knew the new images and updates would make slight changes to how the box performs BUT there are ways to solve this with the members creating things to keep this loyal box, you have nothing to worry about.
But as regards you EPG & Picons, Put them on an external USB pendrive, this will stop your ahrdrive constantly booting up when changing channels and stop the slow response when changing also bud.

Larry-G
14-07-13, 10:08
Also worth considering are the well established memory leak issues suffered by some Duo's with the 3.1.1 kernel, again not a image specific problem but something that Vu would need to address.

marty
14-07-13, 10:08
But as regards you EPG & Picons, Put them on an external USB pendrive, this will stop your ahrdrive constantly booting up when changing channels and stop the slow response when changing also bud.

Unless he is using PTS ;) then its spinning anyway :)

Larry-G
14-07-13, 10:14
EPG is perfectly fine being saved to a HDD as it's run from the flash for normal operation and only written to or read from it's save point at bootup and shutdown, picons on the other hand should not be stored on a HDD if possible as they can easily add upto five seconds to the channel zap time as the HDD needs to spin up in order to read the picon.

TomD
14-07-13, 10:29
Thanks Guys

Rob van der Does
14-07-13, 16:16
Unless he is using PTS ;) then its spinning anyway :)
But even then reading picons from HDD is slow (and hence slowing down zapping). Really: flash is best for picons (as USB is also slow).