PDA

View Full Version : VU+2 Duo options

Bigtag
12-07-13, 10:52
Hi all
Sorry if this has already been covered but I'm going to purchase a new Vu Duo2 from WOS and I was just wondering if anyone can explain what benefit the options will give me please? I guess a single and double tuner is self explanatory but what is an Hybrid DVB C/T? And what is a mini pass-through and Home plugs used for? Apologies for my naivety.

Stanman
12-07-13, 13:01
Hybridbrid c/t is a combined cable and terrestrial tv - non HD.

Homepplugs are used instead of network cables. Need two of them and they use the electric circuit to transmit and recd data.

Rob van der Does
12-07-13, 13:32
Hybridbrid c/t is a combined cable and terrestrial tv - non HD.
Euuhhhh? Not sure about DVB-T but DVB-C is definitely HD capable.

rossi2000
12-07-13, 14:15
dvb-t isnt HD
dvb-t2 is HD

dvb-c is HD aswell.

Stanman
12-07-13, 14:30
Poorly worded but that's shattered I mmeant T is non HD.

BubbleBalls
12-07-13, 14:34
DVB-T delivers the only HD channel we have in Ireland.

Tapatalker

stick50jr
12-07-13, 14:43
Yes indeed... DVB-T is the standard in Australia and carries all the HD channels. But I take it from the above posts that in the mainland UK you need to have DVB-T2 to get HD? So it just depends where you are.

The Vu Duo2 certainly is an impressive spec... I will ge very tempted.

Bigtag
12-07-13, 15:54
dvb-t isnt HD
dvb-t2 is HD

dvb-c is HD aswell.
Thanks for the replies but the spec reads "S2" not T2.

A further question. As well as the VU+ Duo, what would I have to buy to set up multiroom?

Bigtag
12-07-13, 16:55
Is it compatible with 2.5 and 3.5"hard drives?

parma
12-07-13, 17:00
Yes both 2.5 and 3.5

Sicilian
13-07-13, 06:08
To clear things up on the DVB-T front. In the UK Terrestrial uses DVB-T2 for Freeview HD. DVB-T in the UK is only Digital SD Freeview. In some other countries Terrestrial HD is available through DVB-T.

Moved to the correct section :)

Bigtag
13-07-13, 07:13
To clear things up on the DVB-T front. In the UK Terrestrial uses DVB-T2 for Freeview HD. DVB-T in the UK is only Digital SD Freeview. In some other countries Terrestrial HD is available through DVB-T.

Moved to the correct section :)

Thanks boss you have made that clear, but the wording on the WOS shop specification is "THIS MODEL INCLUDES 1X DUAL/TWIN DVB-S/S2 TUNER MODULE". Do I take it that DVB-S2 is the same as DVB-T2?

Sicilian
13-07-13, 07:21
Thanks boss you have made that clear, but the wording on the WOS shop specification is "THIS MODEL INCLUDES 1X DUAL/TWIN DVB-S/S2 TUNER MODULE". Do I take it that DVB-S2 is the same as DVB-T2?

No, DVB-S/S2 are satellite, not terrestrial. That model has one twin satellite tuner DVB-S/S2 module installed, leaving one spare slot.

Bigtag
13-07-13, 07:38
No, DVB-S/S2 are satellite, not terrestrial. That model has one twin satellite tuner DVB-S/S2 module installed, leaving one spare slot.

Gottcha. I see it all clearly now. Thank you

pac2000
17-07-13, 18:33
Thanks for the replies but the spec reads "S2" not T2.

A further question. As well as the VU+ Duo, what would I have to buy to set up multiroom?

You Need A Computer/Laptop Connected Via Ethernet, Homeplugs Or WiFi... And Optionally The Computer/Laptop Connected To A TV... Then You Just Type The IP Address Of The Vu+ Duo2 Into A Browser Address Bar... But I Must Warn You That The Connection Needs To Be Stable, And Thus WiFi Being Prone To Interference Doesn't Always Give Perfect Results... Most Certainly Not In HD... (Based On My Vu+ Duo) I Know The Duo2 Has Transcoding, But It Still Needs To Be A Stable Connection...

I've Set Up A Gigabit Hard Wired Connection With A Switch, And I Get Prefect HD Streaming From The Box... I Would Assume You Could Do The Same With Homeplugs...

parkher
02-08-13, 18:28
As to the satellite tuners.
In my local store there are single and twin tuner options - two single tuners or one twin tuner and an empty slot for a possible dvb-c tuner, etc.
The question is: in practical terms, is the single tuner of Vu+ Duo2 much better than the twin tuner or pretty much the same?
The overall sensitivity, the absence of holes/problems with some particular frequencies/transponders, the output signal quality.

I feel instinctively that a single tuner should be better than a twin tuner, but perhaps there are no noticeable differences?

Rob van der Does
02-08-13, 18:35
There are no noticeable differences (apart from the lack of a loop-out on the dual tuner).
So your best option is to go for a dual tuner, leaving one slot free for (future?) purposes.

parkher
02-08-13, 18:54
Thanks.
Are the single tuners exactly the same as in Vu+ Ultimo or different?
I assume the Ultimo tuners fit into Duo 2, but are they identical or not, perhaps there are differences in their quality.

I guess,
with Duo 2 with a twin tuner, I could take out one of Ultimo tuners and insert it into the Duo 2 empty slot if I needed a loop-out in Duo 2.
with Duo 2 with two single tuners, I could remove one tuner and insert it into the 3rd slot of Ultimo, if Duo 2 tuners are better and if I don't need the second tuner in Duo 2.
Various possibilities.

Rob van der Does
02-08-13, 19:55
VU+ did not build new tuners.
So indeed: all are identical.