PDA

View Full Version : n00b - just some basics?

Shadow81
09-07-13, 15:23
Hey,

Hello all - after many years of wanting to, I am pleased to have finally entered the world of the hobbyist!

I have just received my GB Quad with OpenVIX pre-installed - and would like just a bit of assistance in getting my subscription card to work on it.

Firstly, is there a way to re-start the wizard - as I only have one feed plugged in it at the mo (was just too eager to boot it up), but need to put the second one in, and in the near future, a couple off a motorised dish too!

Ok, now for my card - I havent yet inserted the card because I dont want it to be disabled - I have read I need to configure oscam first - bit of clarification please?

Once I have done the above, what else do I need to do?

I have no intention of sharing/distributing the card to any other receivers anywhere - whilst I know talk of this is prohibited, I dont need any hints, or pointers - I will not be doing this.

I am not tech-shy - nor am I Linux shy (bit of a newbie, but not shy) - I just dont want to make a mistake with this :/

Thanks in advance :)

judge
09-07-13, 15:32
No need to to re-start the wizard unless you realy want to. If you do, it's:
Menu -> Setup -> Factory Reset

Other than that, just configure the second tuner.
Menu -> Setup -> Service Searching -> Tuner Configuration.

As for the cam, which card are you decrypting?
Cccam can be a lot easier for some to set-up if you're not used to oscam.

Shadow81
09-07-13, 15:41
I have a s*y uk card - full package inc 3D. I like the sound of oscam because (maybe I am a bit behind the times here) it updates card so I havent got to put it back in official receiver every so often, and because it blocks emm(?) to stop card being destroyed.

That is my understanding of it (I guess that probably shows just how new to this I am lol).

judge
09-07-13, 15:57
Cccam will also update your Sky UK card, no issues here so far & have been using it for years now...

anyway, whichever cam you decide on, they can be found on http://openvix.co.uk
Just stick the IPK on a USB stick when watching live TV (ie. no other menus/screens are open) & you should be given the option to install it.
Other than that, you could ftp it to /tmp on the box, then blue button -> ViX -> Instal local extension.
You will need to create your own config files though.

Shadow81
09-07-13, 16:17
I am happy with anything that works :) So the easier it is the better really - at least to get me going for the time being. :baby:

judge
09-07-13, 16:49
actually, thinking about it, to get your premium subs working using cccam, you will need to add your boxkey to your Cccam.cfg file.
Just search the forums for boxkey & you should figure it out easily enough.

The most basic set-up for oscam that should also get you up & running is in this thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?28041-Mgcamd-requires-manual-restart-after-standby&p=209490&viewfull=1#post209490).

Shadow81
09-07-13, 16:53
Thanks, maybe I'll play about with both - as I want to learn this properly anyway, not just enough to get by :) one step at a time though!