PDA

View Full Version : [Venton Unibox HDx] New venton hd2 with box image help

reeves1985
06-07-13, 00:22
Hi guys received my new venton hd2 box today with vix image pre installed

However I am having major issues with the ondemand plugin feature

The flushing works great until I play something then it will start to play and stop after a few minutes

I have tried all the quality settings from HD to low and it still stops

I have checked my fibre brand connection which is running at 30meg and I haven't touched anything in the image other than set up channel lists and install a hard drive

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

reeves1985
06-07-13, 01:31
***Edit***

I have narrowed the issue down to itv player

Any program viewed through itv player plays and then stops a minute or so after playing

Now I tested the same program (emmerdale) on 3 player and the program played without issue

abu baniaz
06-07-13, 02:29
If you enable the debug logs ( reboot required) and submit them, it would help the developers track the cause.
Menu > Setup > System > Logs > Settings

I can confirm the pausing with itv player, with emerdale. log ref 1373073950.31 Other program played ok, so may be something on ITV's end.

reeves1985
06-07-13, 09:35
Ill get the logs uploaded later when I have a minute I also tried coronation street which did exactly the same

Hopefully it was a problem on itvs end but I watched the same two program's on the 3 player without issue

Also watched a program of bbc iplayer that was ok too

reeves1985
06-07-13, 10:03
edit

I have found the crash log and uploaded it

can someone take a look and let me know if it is user end or image/itv end

reeves1985
06-07-13, 16:46
Anyone?

I know you guys are super busy and doing awesome work
Would appreciate if someone would take a quick look at the log for me

Thanks again

reeves1985
06-07-13, 17:10
I don't think that is the correct log but that's all that's in the logs

So not sure what's going on

Can also confirm it is every program on itv player I have tried 5 or 6 and the all stop around 1-2 minutes in

abu baniaz
06-07-13, 17:14
Have you tried it again? It is playing fine at the moment. Error must have been at their end and nothing to do with the plugin.

reeves1985
06-07-13, 17:16
Yes I have just tried it now and it still does it

So unsure what's going on :-(

Also the program's work fine through the 3player part of te on demand plugin

Stanman
06-07-13, 17:22
@Reeve be careful what you attach in your logs and count your lucky stars we have considerate members who reported.

If your unsure what I am on about, kick ass comes to mind.;)

reeves1985
06-07-13, 17:28
Oh god I didn't realise it put all that it has it been edited or do I need to do it?

Thanks just noticed you removed it for me

Thanks a lot

reeves1985
06-07-13, 18:33
I have submitted all available logs from the receiver

The reference is 1373131853.84

Would appreciate someone being able to take a look at it

abu baniaz
06-07-13, 19:40
Anybody else with the Ventons having issues with ITV player within OnDemand?

Larry-G
06-07-13, 19:56
I dont have a venton and i cant imagine that it would be a receiver specific thing, i just tested the ITV player on my solo2 build 688, TM2T build 690, Duo build 690 and Uno build 690, all are working perfectly ( 5 minutes and counting through a god awful episode of emmerdale ).

reeves1985
06-07-13, 20:00
What would be your advice? To reflash and see if it sorts it out

If I do reflash will I lose all my setting ie timers and stuff?

Larry-G
06-07-13, 20:02
What would be your advice? To reflash and see if it sorts it out

If I do reflash will I lose all my setting ie timers and stuff?

you can create a full backup of your settings using the backup manager, you then restore this to the new image once flashed to the receiver, if the problem still persists you should try a full reflash with no settings restored ( but backup all important data first ).

Larry-G
06-07-13, 20:05
you can create a full backup of your settings using the backup manager, you then restore this to the new image once flashed to the receiver, if the problem still persists you should try a full reflash with no settings restored ( but backup all important data first ).

the below tutorial should help, instead of using the image manager, use the backup manager.

How to make a image backup using ViX 3.0
Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9752-How-to-use-Backup-amp-Image-Manager-on-Duo-Solo-Uno-ET9000-ET5000-ViX&p=220618&viewfull=1#post220618)

reeves1985
06-07-13, 20:17
Thanks

Will give it a go later and report back

reeves1985
06-07-13, 23:46
Right done a fresh flash of the latest build

Restored backup = still had same problem
Did not restore backup = still had the same problem

So I am unsure where to go from here

Any further help would be great as it seems to be just me with the problem

All other receivers seem to work fine would be interesting if someone else had the same receiver could comment if it is present with their receiver or not

Sicilian
07-07-13, 05:10
I can test tomorrow, its most likely somekind of network/dns issue for where you are located.

Larry-G
07-07-13, 05:25
You could try using googles DNS settings on the receiver or your router to see if that makes a difference ( its what I always use.)

Settings as below.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Larry-G
07-07-13, 07:31
You could try using googles DNS settings on the receiver or your router to see if that makes a difference ( its what I always use.)

Settings as below.

Just to elaborate a little more.

Menu> setup> system> network> device setup> adapter settings> blue button ( edit DNS )
name server 1. 8.8.8.8
name server 2. 8.8.4.4

green button to save.
green button to save again.

reeves1985
07-07-13, 10:33
I would appreciate it if you could test at least then ill have more of an idea if its at my end or not

I would assume though if it was a problem at my end all of the players would have problems which is strange as all the others work great

reeves1985
07-07-13, 10:34

Menu> setup> system> network> device setup> adapter settings> blue button ( edit DNS )
name server 1. 8.8.8.8
name server 2. 8.8.4.4

green button to save.

I will give it a go I have nothing to lose
I will try the box first and then try the virgin media superhub if it still sows by work

Larry-G
07-07-13, 10:56

name server 1. 8.8.8.8
name server 2. 8.8.4.4

green button to save.

I dont have a venton on which to test, but the 7 other receivers i have tested with work perfectly. I honestly do not for one second believe this is a receiver specific issue.

reeves1985
07-07-13, 11:00
I dont have a venton on which to test, but the 7 other receivers i have tested with work perfectly. I honestly do not for one second believe this is a receiver specific issue.

I agree with you it is a strange issue

Just don't understand why all the other players work fine apart from itv yet 2 program's from itv player that I found on 3player worked fine on that player

Very odd issue to say the least

Larry-G
07-07-13, 11:05
well for me those shows on the 3player dont work at all but thats because there geo locked to Ireland and i'm in England. where are you located ?.

reeves1985
07-07-13, 11:11
im located in England

which makes this even more strange as if they are geo locked it implies that something is wrong as im most definitely not in Ireland!!

just tried those settings and it is still the same

reeves1985
07-07-13, 11:20
also I have just gone to the itv player on my laptop and it asked to locate my location automatically, which it did and then it allowed me to play a program

so I assume by that it means my superhub is giving the correct location

reeves1985
07-07-13, 12:30
Just done a ip lookup it correctly shows me located in uk

I have looked a little further
I can also access rte player as well which I shouldn't be able to as I am in the uk

I cannot access the abc player or uitzending gemist plugin which are also geo tagged

Sicilian
07-07-13, 13:18
Ok, tested Corrie on build 683, all fine. Played timed 5mins, then I stopped.

Tested Emmerdale on build 692, 1st time it played, then stopped after a sometime, nut sure exactly how long. So played again after approx 7mins it stopped.

Tested Emmerdale on Duo2, different broadband feed, again same as above.

So imo its an issue with the plugins ITV Player.

reeves1985
07-07-13, 13:35
Thanks for testing
Maybe a problem with itv end but as it is all shows on the player I don't know

Corrie stops for me after a few minutes also (not sure how long exactly) but it played longer than emmerdale

Also strange as above is I can access the Irish players which I shouldn't be able to

Larry-G
07-07-13, 13:51
You should be able to get the FTA content via the irish channels but its severely limited to every one outside ireland.

reeves1985
07-07-13, 14:14
I don't know what an earth is going on with it as I can view every program on Irish players

So not sure and my bband is with Virginia I have checked an I have a UK ip no proxies running or anything

Sicilian
07-07-13, 14:33
Tested on Xtrend ET9500, Same results, ITV Player, Emeradale, stops after a few mins.

reeves1985
07-07-13, 14:35
At least now I know it is not just me

You don't happen to know the reason do you

The ps3 and web versions work fine

Sicilian
07-07-13, 14:58
No idea, one thing you need to remember its a 3rd party plugin developed by enthusiasts free of charge. PS3, web versions etc... are certified for on demand.

reeves1985
07-07-13, 15:23
Yes I understand that and fully appreciate devs using their own time to develop something that in the case of the on demand plugin looks sweet and very streamlined and profession free of charge

As I myself would have no clue where to start for that my hat goes off to them

Was just trying to understand if it was something on my end causing a problem

reeves1985
08-07-13, 12:44
A quick update I tried the standalone itv player version and again had the same problem

But tried itv player on my dn800se and it worked fine

This is on the same network with the same version of itv player

Larry-G
08-07-13, 13:04
The standalone or so called DeViXed versions are not the same as the one included in the OnDemand plugin, those versions are often older versions patched to run on other images.

reeves1985
08-07-13, 14:42
Ah ok I see

Hopefully the guys which dev the app can have a look when they are free

reeves1985
08-07-13, 16:09
Managed to nail down where It stops

Every program stops at exactly 1.10 minutes

Larry-G
08-07-13, 16:18
Managed to nail down where It stops

Every program stops at exactly 1.10 minutes

Sorry if i have missed them as im online through my phone, but we would really need you to get some debug logs of the times this is happening otherwise its all guess work.

abu baniaz
08-07-13, 16:31
Was there something in the changelogs regarding gstreamer a few updates back? Not 100% sure.

I have just played played three minutes (twice) of Emmerdale using On demand's ITV player on my Twin, build 692, it does not have the stopping issue. However, I have TSmedia installed so that would have installed dependencies that may have been recently removed.

Larry-G
08-07-13, 16:33
Was there something in the changelogs regarding gstreamer a few updates back? Not 100% sure.

I have just played played three minutes (twice) of Emmerdale using On demand's ITV player on my Twin, build 692, it does not have the stopping issue. However, I have TSmedia installed so that would have installed dependencies that may have been recently removed.

Yes gstreamer was updated a few builds ago, a fresh flash with no backup restored is recomended for those suffering media player issues just incase the gstreamer update didnt go as expected.

reeves1985
08-07-13, 17:30
**Edit**
I have just cleared any logs I had and played itv player again but the receiver never created a debug log at all

thanks I will try a fresh flash of the 692 build tonight

I did a fresh flash of 690 last night without restoring ackup and it still had the same issue

abu I do have tsmedia installed as well

I have switched the debug logs on and I did send them in from receiver the ref is Ref: 1373131853.84

also must add the receiver was only delivered to me on Friday with I think build 682 and the itv player has never worked

Larry-G
08-07-13, 17:50
also must add the receiver was only delivered to me on Friday with I think build 682 and the itv player has never worked

Please also remember that like all Third party plugins the OnDemand plugin has nothing to do with the operation of the receiver and like all plugins things change which mean that the plugin may cease operating until updated, as is the case with the 4od part of OnDemand which is currently not working due to changes made by ch4.

reeves1985
08-07-13, 18:04
Oh yes I totally understand that I wasn't implying the receiver was at fault or it was hindering its useability or purpose of use

Was simply implying that as far as I am aware the only builds of vix image were the 682 it came with and the 690 I flashed fresh last night and the update I did today to 692/3

It just seems strange it seems to be only me having an issue

And trying to find out if it is something at my end
Although I can't see what

I run a superhub with 30meg line directly plugged into receiver through Ethernet cable

Other players work so I assume the needed dependancies are there

My ip correctly shows me in the UK

Wouldnt be a problem if it was a general itv player issue but I only see people saying its working fine for them although nobody has confirmed either way who use a venton receiver

I appreciate all the work put in by the guys for making things possible as well

Not intending to come across as spitting the dummy out over a plugin lol little things just bug me (I'm rather strange like that) but appreciate the nature of the beast that sometimes things work and sometimes they don't etc

Larry-G
08-07-13, 18:13
Oh yes I totally understand that I wasn't implying the receiver was at fault or it was hindering its useability or purpose of use

Was simply implying that as far as I am aware the only builds of vix image were the 682 it came with and the 690 I flashed fresh last night and the update I did today to 692/3

And trying to find out if it is something at my end
Although I can't see what

I run a superhub with 30meg line directly plugged into receiver through Ethernet cable

Other players work so I assume the needed dependancies are there

My ip correctly shows me in the UK

Wouldnt be a problem if it was a general itv player issue but I only see people saying its working fine for them although nobody has confirmed either way who use a venton receiver

I appreciate all the work put in by the guys for making things possible as well

Not intending to come across as spitting the dummy out over a plugin lol little things just bug me (I'm rather strange like that) but appreciate the nature of the beast that sometimes things work and sometimes they don't etc

no, i did not mean to insinuate that you were "spitting out the dummy" just we have had users in the past who assume that certain plugins and features were a right rather than a extra if you know what i mean.

any way at this moment in time i'm at a loss as to whats causing your issues as i am not seeing the same my self although sicilian has confirmed the same issues over a broad range of receivers so it's not just you. I'm not a developer my self and the main guy who works on these plugins is rather busy with work at present so it may be a while before he has time to look into things.

reeves1985
08-07-13, 18:16
That's no problem
At least if it has been confirmed on different receivers when the main man does have time it might be something he could look into

I actually just thought it was me having an issue which was making me think it was something to do with my setup at my end

Would be nice if another venton user could have input as well

Sicilian
08-07-13, 19:02

:confused::confused::confused: I've already confirmed I experience the same as you on Duo2, ET9500 and HD2, so bit confused by that comment :confused::confused::confused:

I've even tested on ADSL and Cable lines. Its an issue with plugin somewhere, stop beating yourself up about it.

reeves1985
09-07-13, 20:35
No problem thanks for confirming it

Just had a message from another venton user (finally) who confirms it plays fine for them

Seems very sporadic issue for some and not others

Will leave it a while see if anything develops or anything as the mrs can use 3 player to catch up on the dreaded soaps

reeves1985
10-07-13, 15:11
Sorry the above post should say it doesn't play fine for them

Just had another 3 venton users also saying that it also stops after a short while for them also

One of the guys who confirmed it not working on the venton also has a vu receiver which the itv plugin works correctly on so maybe it it a little more receiver specific than first thought

But as above it has also been reported working for some and not others on different receivers across the board

(Really need to do something else with my time lol! Have far to much time on my hands at the moment)
Just a shame I have no coding knowledge would love to jump in and help but unfortunately it is way over my head

Sicilian
10-07-13, 15:13
it it a little more receiver specific than first thought

It is NOT receiver specific, I've already told you I personally have tested on VU+ Duo2, Xtrend ET9500 and the HD2, all THREE receivers give the same results, NONE of them will play a full episode using ITV Player.

reeves1985
10-07-13, 15:17
It is NOT receiver specific, I've already told you I personally have tested on VU+ Duo2, Xtrend ET9500 and the HD2, all THREE receivers give the same results, NONE of them will play a full episode using ITV Player.

Sorry I didn't make it clear i am not saying it is 100% receiver specific as like you say you confirmed it not working on different receivers

I was just stating that every venton user I have asked have the same problem but also indicating that one user also has a vu receiver on which it works correctly
(Same network same broadband etc)

I'm sorry I am am getting on anyone's nerves just trying to keep it updated with my findings that's all

As if there is a problem anywhere the more info the better it will be for when one of the guys has time to have a quick look at it

Cheers Sicilian

Larry-G
10-07-13, 15:35
The only hope we have of trying to find out whats going on is for all those users saying they have problems to post debug logs, otherwise there is nothing what so ever any one can do about it.

once again this is a thirdparty plugin which has nothing what so ever to do with any receiver manufacturer.

reeves1985
10-07-13, 15:45
I understand that pheonix and I am sure whatever problem there is will get looked into eventually

Was just trying to help and maybe the people with issues will start to send debug logs in

Larry-G
10-07-13, 16:00
I understand that pheonix and I am sure whatever problem there is will get looked into eventually

Was just trying to help and maybe the people with issues will start to send debug logs in

I know and I understand, as I said we really need debug logs from as many different people as possible to be able to look into this properly.