PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good time to upgrade from 2.4 to 3.0 on a tosted Vu+ Duo?

parkher
04-07-13, 23:17
My Duo no longer loads Enigma - stuck on "Loading": ViX turns turns, then for 1 second the screen goes blank and then all over again.
I did no changes of any kind. Just used it for watching/recording.
It still has 2.4 image, possibly build 213 after updates (I see that build on my Vu+ Ultimo, I assume they both have the same)

I have disconnected everything - did not help.
Opened the box and disconnected the hard drive - it was hot. The bottom of Vu+ was hot. Some suspicious smell of something burnt - mostly from the area of the card reader (I am not using any cards)

Without the hard drive - exactly the same, but it does not get hot.

The same situation was a few weeks ago - I also restarted Enigma and Loading was going in cycles, but after switching Duo off, it finally loaded fully and was working until today, when I again manually restarted Enigma.
Recently I noticed some deterioration: hanging when trying to start recording (but not always) - sometimes a part of the screen remaining still showing picture while some log dump around.
For a longer time I had this issue: if I switch off Duo, I need to wait about 5 minutes before switching it on again, otherwise I only have a red dot in the upper left corner of its display.
When waited long enough, the red dot initially is still present, but the text as well, the red dot later goes away. And the hard drive is being tortured at the beginning for some time.

So, all in all, Duo probably did not like that hard drive. But it recorded fine to it otherwise.

But now is the situation that either it is physically damaged, or its software corrupt.

So, I guess, I can try to flash in some image first. Is there any difference if I use 3.0 or 2.4?

3.0 does not require a different bootloader or something?

On the other hand, if it is physically damaged, flashing a new image might end unfinished in a non-recoverable state.
While after fixing it, it could work straight away with the current image.
But in order to eliminate a software problem, I guess, it is still better to try to re-flash an image first....

TK4|2|1
05-07-13, 07:40
Seems like you've answered your own question there.
Also older duo's have an issue with a capacitor on the main board, I can't recall it's location but I'm sure someone will chip in with it. This could possibly be the cause of some of your issues.
Upgrading from 2.4 to 3.0 WILL require a bootloader as well.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

parkher
05-07-13, 15:45
It might have been damaged by the heat - I now checked - the fan is not turning. And it was really hot when I opened it. Which is rather strange, come to think of it - the hard drive was in auto off mode.

And what is that red led indicating in the upper left corner? It was bothering me for a long time. Just a red dot and no text on the screen, until I keep Duo switched off long enough - perhaps exactly that - until it cools off? Indicator of protection, but indicating not shorting but overheating?
But I know for sure that the hard drive was not turning - when starting recording it took time for it to start.

TK4|2|1
05-07-13, 16:14
You got to upgrade to 3.0 if you want any assistance, 2.4 is not supported any more.
Bootloader first then image. DO NOT restore from a backup, set it all up fresh.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

parkher
05-07-13, 17:13
but first - to try to fix hardware?

I don't know if there is anything wrong with it, but the last time I tried to restart enigma - I had the same problem, but it finally worked after several attempts.
From that time, 1-2 weeks? - Duo was always on untill yesterday I tried to restart Enigma again.
So I see a gradual deterioration here, therefore - perhaps that capacitor problem? Drying out capacitor?

Yes, and last time I restarted enigma because weird things were on the screen when I tried to start recording - things I never seen before: the dupm shows up on the screen, but simultaneously the picture is still showing in the middle of the screen - a PIP - like thing.
So that is also a sign of gradual deterioration.
After that it was working and recording just fine for a week or more.

BTW, as my Duo is down, what receiver better to buy now? There is some new Solo2 with a more powerful processor but with significantly less memory!?
Or maybe not Vu+ at all?

Larry-G
05-07-13, 17:22
have a read of this thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?26735-Redlight-of-Death-Repair

parkher
05-07-13, 17:34
Oh, thanks. Great!

Meanwhile, I talked to a repairman on the phone, he said not to try to flash anything, he says he is 80% sure that it is a capacitor problem.

I think I have 200uF capacitors, but they are a lot older than that Duo itself :(
I probably will not use any of those, even though they were not exposed to the heat.

But they call it "Red Light of Death".. - I had that red light for a year or more: after switching off, when switching on - only a red light in the left upper corner (I assume it is an indicator of protection kicking in?)
After waiting no less than 5 minutes - it finally starts, but that red light still shows up initially, only later goes away.

As to the new receiver - maybe I will not need it after all (although maybe I could use this opportunity to upgrade), but my friends are also asking which one to choose. Any clear favorites?

Sirius
06-07-13, 00:20
Solo 2 faster receiver on the market mate. You will not regret it once you have it up and running :) :thumbsup:

parkher
08-07-13, 21:04
I wonder why Solo2 went back from 1024 MB in Ultimo to 256 MB flash.
And then Duo2 back to 1024 MB.
Perhaps it is logical to upgrade from Duo to Duo2, but I don't think it is available, even though it is supposed to be a 2012 model?
It would be know what are the differences between BCM7356 and BCM7424.
I would like to have some support for DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio - to be able to downmix it at least.

Rob van der Does
08-07-13, 21:15
I wonder why Solo2 went back from 1024 MB in Ultimo to 256 MB flash.
And then Duo2 back to 1024 MB.
Not sure what you mean: the Solo2 has nothing to do with the Ultimo, nor does the DUO2. Each box has it's own specs, independent of any other box.

It would be know what are the differences between BCM7356 and BCM7424.
Specs of chipsets are hard to get these days: you won't find them on Broadcom's website. IMHO the main difference is that the DUO2 has better transcoding support than the Solo2.

I would like to have some support for DTS,
All VU's support DTS.

s1m0nw
08-07-13, 21:19
Preorders are being taken just now for vu duo2. I seen that u mentioned that the fan wasnt moving - did you take it out and clean it incase it was clogged up with dust might explain the heat issues

parkher
11-07-13, 08:40
All VU's support DTS.

In hardware? I don't see such a support in ViX directly.. Perhaps I need to install a special plugin if it is in software. It is needed to play stuff from elsewhere, not recorded on Vu+.
Actually, I need a downmix from DTS. To stereo or to AC3 (if it can be called a downmix). From DTS HD Master Audio (or whatever it is called) - as well.

BubbleBalls
11-07-13, 08:58
I have used a few files/containers and DTS has been fine on the Duo. Down mix is in AV menu (in 3 anyway)

Tapatalker

Rob van der Does
11-07-13, 10:23
In hardware? I don't see such a support in ViX directly.. Perhaps I need to install a special plugin if it is in software. It is needed to play stuff from elsewhere, not recorded on Vu+.
Works fine here on my VU's; no plugin needed.

pooface
11-07-13, 16:16
Works fine here on my VU's; no plugin needed.

Alto I don't think dts hd I'd sorted tho is it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
11-07-13, 17:32
DTS-HD should be supported as well, but as I have no files containing that audio, I can't confirm it myself.

pooface
11-07-13, 18:21
DTS-HD should be supported as well, but as I have no files containing that audio, I can't confirm it myself.

Nor myself, I just thought I remembered seeing they were not supported. Althought this might've been a long while ago, and since then they supported it...

Rob van der Does
11-07-13, 18:28
A number of good files can be found on

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

parkher
13-07-13, 14:54
I seen that u mentioned that the fan wasnt moving - did you take it out and clean it incase it was clogged up with dust might explain the heat issues

No, I tried to turn the fan with my finger - it seems to be fine. But not getting power.
But now, for some reason Duo again is working - booting normally, and the fan is rotating too.
I haven't changed that capacitor yet, just touched it with my finger. Maybe that was enough?
I think I better change it anyway.

Rob van der Does
13-07-13, 15:03
I haven't changed that capacitor yet, just touched it with my finger. Maybe that was enough?
Only if you have a magic finger :cool:

I think I better change it anyway.
I most certainly would advise that.