PDA

View Full Version : optical out

garryboy
04-07-13, 14:37
i have a philps 23" in flatscreen thats "HD ready". My arse is it hd ready :confused:

it has a dvi connection and not a hdmi. i have a hdmi to dvi converter so can get the hd picture but obviously there is no sound through dvi.

there is a optical out only on the back of the xp1000.

if i get a an optical to analog L/R converter will it provide the sound to my tv (has L/R sound in and dvi sound in), whilst the hdmi to dvi is providing the picture.

any thoughts appreciated as currently im using a scart lead :o

Trial
04-07-13, 14:55
Hi,
you can get sound from SCART as well. The scart output also has output for Audio left&right and this should be cheap.

ciao

jasmin27
04-07-13, 15:01
Yes should work. It is a bit a mess with cables DVI cable/Audio cable/Optical cable/Ext power supply. Pay some attention to have a converter with the right connector.

Rob van der Does
04-07-13, 15:02
Indeed: there are very cheap Scart plugs that have (a.o.) the red & white cinch-connectors.

garryboy
04-07-13, 15:12
Cheers guys for replys

Yeh im getting sound from the scart just the picture is gash.

Looking at some of the connectors most state they only convert 2 channel digital (not 5.1 or 7.1) to L/R analog.

What output is the xp1000 optical producing.

Yeh I know it will be a bit of a mess but if it works then I wont mind.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
04-07-13, 15:27
Indeed: scart only provides stereo sound (so downmix should be set to 'On' on your STB). That's what you asked for?
Optical output puts out what you want: original sound (e.g. AC3) or downmixed.
Anyway: your TV will have only 2 speakers so what would you want more then stereo?

BubbleBalls
04-07-13, 15:33
I had a Philips TV with DVI and stereo analogue inputs - so no 5.1 to TV. Needed optical to amp to allow 5.1.

However, on the tv menu I could select audio input source. Any such menu on your tv? So you feed picture through DVI and audio via scart This menu only appeared when DVI was connected.

Tapatalker

garryboy
04-07-13, 15:38
Indeed: there are very cheap Scart plugs that have (a.o.) the red & white cinch-connectors.

Rob you are a genius. I had one of those scart to component convertes from my old camcorder. Pluged it in bingo got sound coming from the scart socket and hd picture coming from the hdmi to dvi.

Rob I cant thank you enough mate. I was so close to buying a new telly.

Made my day you have

garryboy
04-07-13, 15:40
.I didnt want 5.1 sound I was just want to make sure the digital to analog converter would have worked.

Anyhow thats irrelevant its working now as I had hoped.

Rob van der Does
04-07-13, 15:49
Rob I cant thank you enough mate. I was so close to buying a new telly.
Well, do you need the details of my bank-account :rofl:

garryboy
04-07-13, 16:28
Lol yeh. If that was the case mate youd make a fortune on here with all the helpful advice you give out on here.

Thanks again