PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions on ventons

robti
03-07-13, 22:12
Hi wondered if i could get an answer to the following questions

1 when looking at the back of the box re the tuners why is there a twin connection but a spare blank next to it
2. what are the timeshift options on these boxes

3 will it run most of the current software that say a vu would (sorry newbie on linux)

Thanks

Robert

robti
03-07-13, 22:59
Okay foiund better pics of the tuners in\out so no.1 answered

robti
03-07-13, 23:41
sorry for the extra post cant edit my op

what are the limits of the twin dvbs tuner when recording \playback can it record 2 HD channels at the same time

reeves1985
03-07-13, 23:48
As far as I am aware (just ordered the hd2 so don't physically have one yet)

2. The time shift functions are the same as any other receiver and will work just like a sly box does i.e you can pause and rewind live tv and with the permanent time shift plugin you can also rewind the tv without having paused first (like what happens on a sly box when your watching tv and just hit rewind)

3. The box will run the latest images from the supporting teams producing images e.g vix, openaaf etc so all is pod on that count

Like I said I don't physically have one yet so don't know first hand it is just from the research I have done which can be a little tricky as it is a new box to the market

Also it has a MIPS processor so I am assuming although stand to be corrected that most plugins should work

I currently have a failing/dying nbox which is enigma based but very basic with not a great deal of support so the venton is a step up from that for me as a main box in the living room

I use a dreambox dm800se upstairs in the bedroom and find that great as a single tuner

reeves1985
03-07-13, 23:49
And yes the box can record 2 program's at once and whilst doing that you can watch a earlier recorded program or another channel that is on the same transponder

I am sure you won't be disappointed

You can also transfer movies from pc to receiver via FTP for playback through the receiver on the tv file formats that are playable are dependant on what is supported by the image but on other receivers I have played mkv files mp4 files and ts files with no problems the only one I have ever had troubles with was avi files

Larry-G
03-07-13, 23:55
Hi wondered if i could get an answer to the following questions

1 when looking at the back of the box re the tuners why is there a twin connection but a spare blank next to it
2. what are the timeshift options on these boxes

3 will it run most of the current software that say a vu would (sorry newbie on linux)

Thanks

Robert

1. A. The tuner has a input and a output which can be used for loopthrough or loopout as some call it.
B. The Blank plate is for a optional second or third tuner card ( depending on the model you purchase ).
2. That depends on the image you use, all E2 images have some form of basic timeshift or permanent timeshift functions, but the ViX image has a highly modified and customised version of Timeshift allowing more options than others.
3. The venton range of receivers are supported by most member teams of the OE-Alliance such as openvix, openatv, and several others.

BubbleBalls
03-07-13, 23:56
Don't own one but they run enigma2. This allows software/plugins etc to run as they would on Vu boxes. HD2 will give you two feeds so you can record two channels at the same time - there are then a limited number of further channels you could watch - but these are limited as they are on the same mux as the ones recording. HD3 gives you three feeds so you can record 3 channels together.

Time shift can be set to hard drive or USB (highish read/write speed needed) You can set time shift to activate only when pause is pressed or you can make it permanent - this temporarily records the programme when you switch to a channel - so you can rewind it mid program.

There are so many more things.

Tapatalker

Larry-G
03-07-13, 23:57
You can also transfer movies from pc to receiver via FTP for playback through the receiver on the tv file formats that are playable are dependant on what is supported by the image but on other receivers I have played mkv files mp4 files and ts files with no problems the only one I have ever had troubles with was avi files

Media support is not a image thing, it's handled by hardware largely with some help from the gstreamer plugin. ( very simplified explanation so dont quote me on that ).

reeves1985
04-07-13, 01:06
Media support is not a image thing, it's handled by hardware largely with some help from the gstreamer plugin. ( very simplified explanation so dont quote me on that ).

Thanks for clarifying I was open to be corrected as wasn't sure which way around it worked

Sicilian
04-07-13, 05:34
HD2 will give you two feeds so you can record two channels at the same time

Venton Unibox HD1+ can have two tuners installed too ;)

reeves1985
04-07-13, 07:01
Venton Unibox HD1+ can have two tuners installed too ;)

It can indeed as that is what I was originally going to purchase that receiver but for me the hd2 was the best choice as it accepts a 3.5" hdd and I have a spare one so although more expensive initially for me it worked out cheaper for the hd2 as the price of a 2.5" drive would take the total cost above the hd2

I just wished the hd2 was black!!

Sicilian
04-07-13, 07:22
It can indeed as that is what I was originally going to purchase that receiver but for me the hd2 was the best choice as it accepts a 3.5" hdd and I have a spare one so although more expensive initially for me it worked out cheaper for the hd2 as the price of a 2.5" drive would take the total cost above the hd2

I just wished the hd2 was black!!

I'd always recommend fitting a 2.5" in anycase. Less noise, less heat, faster spin up etc....

3.5" does fit in a HD2, but is quite tight fitting and fiddly to install. Works fine once fitted though, just needs a little patience.

robti
04-07-13, 07:38
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies, as for time shift what is the maximum time allowed if it was permanently on without pausing, and is there anywhere to find recommended hard drives or what are the read\write speeds i should look for

Thanks

Robert

Rob van der Does
04-07-13, 07:42
I'd always recommend fitting a 2.5" in anycase. Less noise, less heat, faster spin up etc....
But the same applies to the dedicated 3.5" (5400 or 5700RpM) PVR HDD's.