PDA

View Full Version : HDD frozen and very noisy.

kanwar
03-07-13, 20:12
Hi guys,

Just as I solve one issue, another appears!

The HDD on my TM-2T seems to have had a serious malfunction.

It is no longer recognised by the box. The box screen still displays recording and Timeshift as being active. There is also a loud noise almost constantly coming from inside the box

It seems to have completely frozen. I have tried a few things but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to resolve this?

NB: Formatting is not possible when the HDD does appear as it seems to think both recording and Timeshift is happening. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:-(

Thanks.

scottmcroberts
03-07-13, 20:44
just double checking that you have the fan running, if so then then this will rule out overheating, what kind of noise is it making rattle hum buzz.
Also are you able to access the hdd from your PC by ftping into it.

abu baniaz
03-07-13, 21:18
To format/initialise it on the receiver, you must unmount it first.

Take the HDD out and check it using your PC and the manufacturers software. It may be faulty.

kanwar
03-07-13, 21:19
Hi,

FAN1 PWM is running. Board is 60C and FAN1 304rpm.

I took the plug out from the back and HDD is now recognised (has happened before) but those lights still remain so I'm sure HDD is still stuck.

I can access HDD VIA FTP.

abu baniaz
03-07-13, 21:33
It is the drivers causing the lights to be lit.

I put my twin on standby and the following are still lit. REC, Remote, Encrypted, mp3 and ac3.

Id still check your HDD.

TK4|2|1
03-07-13, 21:44
Hi,

FAN1 PWM is running. Board is 60C and FAN1 304rpm.

I took the plug out from the back and HDD is now recognised (has happened before) but those lights still remain so I'm sure HDD is still stuck.

I can access HDD VIA FTP.

That's a bit high temp, and a little low speed, try increasing it to 1000rpm

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

kanwar
03-07-13, 21:45
It is making a humming sound. Not always, though.

It's the HDD, so what do you suggest Abu Baniaz?

scottmcroberts
03-07-13, 21:52
silly question but have you tried a hard reset using the switch at the back and left it off for a few minutes.

A humming sound can mean a couple of things, worst case scenario is that the hd Motor inside is spinning the platters. This is not good and may need to be replaced. The other thing it could be something as simple as a loose screw, the head of the screw spins and makes an intermittant humming noise

kanwar
03-07-13, 21:54
I've just increased fan rpm to 1000 approx.

Temperature had increased to 63c and is now dropping.

abu baniaz
03-07-13, 21:55
It is making a humming sound. Not always, though.

It's the HDD, so what do you suggest Abu Baniaz?
Remove the HDD, connect to your PC and check it it using the software the HDD manufacturer provides.

kanwar
03-07-13, 21:59
Yes, Scott, I tried that.

I have just mAnaged to format the HDD too. Those lights still remain, PTS, recording, and others despite that stuff being off.

kanwar
03-07-13, 21:59
Yes, Scott, I tried that.

I have just mAnaged to format the HDD too. Those lights still remain, PTS, recording, and others despite that stuff being off.

scottmcroberts
03-07-13, 22:06
The lights are a driver issue as Abu mentioned, my box is the same it's like a xmas tree.

kanwar
04-07-13, 23:05
Ok, I see. Thanks for the information.

Since last night (after turning the speed of the fan up, thereby decreasing system temperature) the HDD is being recognised fine by the VIX image now.

However, in the last hour there have been 3 enigma crashes (with no crash log created) where the box randomly booted while recording was going on. Could this be related to the HDD or maybe the box itself has become damaged?

K.

abu baniaz
04-07-13, 23:31
Are you going to test your HDD or not?

While you test HDD on the PC, test recording onto a USB stick. Report back after tests.

kanwar
04-07-13, 23:33
Do you think I should?

It's a Toshiba MK3252GS, a shitty ATA drive. I think i'm going to get a new SATA and put that in. That shouldn't be too complicated, should it?

Thanks again.

BubbleBalls
05-07-13, 00:27
In fairness to Abu he has asked that you check the HDD. Three "crashes" without crashlogs point to a bad HDD?, or bad sectors? The HDD just cannot accept write at a certain point/certain points. A noisy/loud SOUND from the box seems totally abnormal for a properly working HDD.

You can test USB (if you have one - and it has a half decent read/write speed) recordings now - you don't need to remove the HDD. I think it's in menu->recording settings->timer and instant options. Change to USB.

Your HDD may indeed be FUBAR so try recording to the USB stick. If that works buy a new HDD.

Tapatalker

scottmcroberts
05-07-13, 08:19
Installing A Sata II drive is pretty easy, follow the manufactures instructions to configure and normally it is just two cables and you can't really go wrong with them the connectors are different sizes.