PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ duo freezing

thejoker
01-07-13, 11:05
My duo freezes completely on a daily basis. I have reflashed box and reformatted hard drive a few times with no joy. Setup is perfect. Have 2.5 hard drive formatted to fat32. I then flash box with vix 3.0 683, install bouquets and ccam 2.1.3 ipk. I do not use any plugins whatsoever.

I then initialise hard drive, setup 96mb swap file and download epg. Box runs smooth for a little while then will just completely freeze, have to flick switch at back. It also freezes in standby overnight, i thought it would have been due to the scheduled epg download but the time still shows, it froze at 2.30am and my epg download does not run til 4am

I still ran init 4 command and deleted crossepg folder and epg.dat file and init 3 then downloaded epg again...

Box still freezing 1-2 times per day, am at a total loss what to do next...as I have a solo, solo 2 tm twin oe all setup the exact same way

BubbleBalls
01-07-13, 11:54
You could try the swap file on USB and use cache flush plugin.

Tapatalker

pooface
01-07-13, 12:10
It's this a clone duo or original? As sounds very much like what can happen with clones...

Also, what happens if you flash build 685?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
01-07-13, 12:21
It also sounds very much like the (suspected) memory leaks some DUO's have.

Is the time on the VFD frozen when this has happened? If so, the use of a SWAP-file and the CacheClear plugin are likely to help.

Mr. Mister
01-07-13, 13:07
there used to be an ipk file for memory leak issues on this forum..

Ill have a look and see if i can find it..

thejoker
02-07-13, 09:29
No this is an original box. Ive always bought original and love the vu+ brand, have solo, solo 2 and duo...duo is the only box giving me grief....I already have a 96mb swap file on the internal hard drive but do you think its better to have it on a seperate usb stick...

Yes then display is frozen, time is frozen, has happened through the day watching tv and at night in standby, I know its not the epg download as it would freeze in standby at 2.30am

Will try cacheclear today

Rob van der Does
02-07-13, 11:25
Swap on HDD is fine (and faster then USB).
I'm pretty sure the cache clear will do the trick: it worked for all boxes with this problem. Set it to 30 minutes.

GiP
02-07-13, 13:15
My duo freezes completely on a daily basis.

Mine started doing that a couple of weeks before stopping completely (with the red dot of death). After the capacitor substitution it restarted and never had this problem again....

G

OldSkulRide
02-07-13, 14:41
Leave the fan on for 24/7 and report if there is any improvement.

thejoker
05-07-13, 09:16
Hasnt froze in 3 days but the other half is telling me she puts the box in standby at night and in the morning its turned on. Need to see for myself....

pooface
05-07-13, 12:58
Hasnt froze in 3 days but the other half is telling me she puts the box in standby at night and in the morning its turned on. Need to see for myself....

Do you have debug logs enabled? If not, enable them. If so, have a look in your logs folder, and see if there are any files which have a date of 1 hour after your crossepg download time (is usually 1 hour after four me, yours might show the correct time). If so, have a look, and see if there is anything in there at the end about crossepg, and then finished with "Killed"...

thejoker
07-07-13, 18:10
Froze again today, was away for the weekend, box was in standby. It didnt freeze in standby as it sometimes does. Watching tv for about 2 hours, it then froze up. Turned back on and cacheflush was sitting at 60/40, hit clear now and now its 85/15, not too sure why it never cleared itself...

thejoker
07-07-13, 18:28
Froze again, upon restart cache flush is only at 47/53, clear now doesnt improve it....

thejoker
12-07-13, 08:11
My box ran smoothly all day wednesday and even updated epg by itself on thursday morning. Last night i put box in standby, have just woke up to find box on and no epg

pooface
12-07-13, 14:39
My box ran smoothly all day wednesday and even updated epg by itself on thursday morning. Last night i put box in standby, have just woke up to find box on and no epg

Check my post above (#11), and press check this...

thejoker
12-07-13, 21:28
Hi, yes I have two log files, one at 5.12am and one at 8am. I have searched document using the find option and nothing is matched with killed....have searched epg, few matches but nothing that looks strange......

OldSkulRide
13-07-13, 08:17
Restarting might be due to low memory. When I was using MetrixHD skin I regularly had this problem. Then I switched to another skin and restarting dissapeared. Apperantly this skin consumes more memory than others + if you use EPG this also adds to the problem.

Also do you Vu+ fan work all the time? It needs to work in standby too, not only when receiver is in use.

newbik
13-07-13, 08:52
mine was exatally the same mate i think ive just sorted it this morning. im no expert but this is what i did....

turn basic fan settings off and turned the timer on. i then put fan on for 100 and the fan off for 001 so its on all the time and so far so good pal

thejoker
13-07-13, 19:02
Have tried fan timer so hopefully that might make a difference. I use the magic hd night skin and never had any problems with this. Should I remove default skin, that would free up some space would it..

I did another init 4, delete epg.dat and crossepg folder then init 3

Cacheflush is showing 50/50 in memory used/free...

Once i download epg again cache flush is showing 60/40

pooface
13-07-13, 19:04
Have tried fan timer so hopefully that might make a difference. I use the magic hd night skin and never had any problems with this. Should I remove default skin, that would free up some space would it..

I did another init 4, delete epg.dat and crossepg folder then init 3

Cacheflush is showing 50/50 in memory used/free...

Once i download epg again cache flush is showing 60/40

With crossepg, I've never had a problem manually running it. Only ever when it's run on scheduled run in the morning...

Rob van der Does
13-07-13, 21:11
Should I remove default skin, that would free up some space would it.
Don't! You'll run into trouble deleting files that should be there.

thejoker
14-07-13, 17:02
Nah, still no good, going to run it a few days with no epg at all just to see if thats having the effect. Warranty well out now on the box, i take it, its a new motherboard to rectify the memory leak...

Larry-G
14-07-13, 17:09
Nah, still no good, going to run it a few days with no epg at all just to see if thats having the effect. Warranty well out now on the box, i take it, its a new motherboard to rectify the memory leak...

There is no way to know which duo will be affected by the memory leak as its not confined to a particular batch or age of the machine. And you cant buy motherboard replacements for these boxes.

pooface
14-07-13, 17:10

Depends if it's the duo memory leak, then vu don't even know what the problem is as far as I gather...

If it's crossepg, then all boxes I've ever used run out of memory when run in standby arty word random times.

Another thing you could try, is to restart the box just before epg schedule is set to start. Ben doing this, and don't think I've had any problems that I can remember...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

thejoker
15-07-13, 15:02
But the fact that the box is freezing up through the day while just watching tv, or in standby even epg download takes place. The box doesnt even see that much usage, i rarely record, just like to have option for the odd programme or football match if im out or kids are at tv.....

Larry-G
15-07-13, 15:15
But the fact that the box is freezing up through the day while just watching tv, or in standby even epg download takes place. The box doesnt even see that much usage, i rarely record, just like to have option for the odd programme or football match if im out or kids are at tv.....

If its happening all the time then its very likely suffering the infamous Duo memory leak, rob has one that is totally un usable, even with the cache flush plugin.

Boxes with it so bad are no good with the 3.1.1 kernel but fine on the older images pre 3.1.1.

pooface
15-07-13, 18:48
If its happening all the time then its very likely suffering the infamous Duo memory leak, rob has one that is totally un usable, even with the cache flush plugin.

Boxes with it so bad are no good with the 3.1.1 kernel but fine on the older images pre 3.1.1.

As phoenix says, boxes that suffer this with 3.1.1 kernel do not suffer with the older 2.6.4 (or whatever it was) kernel. Can you try the vix 2.2.100 image included in this thread... See if it works for you without causing the reboot?

Rob van der Does
15-07-13, 19:03
Sorry to correct this: my DUO became usable again using a swap-file and the CacheFlush plugin.

Larry-G
15-07-13, 19:11
Sorry to correct this: my DUO became usable again using a swap-file and the CacheFlush plugin.

I stand corrected then, although i do remember you saying it was so bad at one point that you boxed it back up.

Rob van der Does
15-07-13, 19:34
I stand corrected then, although i do remember you saying it was so bad at one point that you boxed it back up.
That is indeed correct: the box has spend quite some time on the attic.
But when the cachflush plugin was released I tried that and it worked out rather well.

thejoker
15-07-13, 20:40
Thanks mate. Ok I will try vix 2.2, do I need to flash old kernal aswell, do you have link for that if so....

Larry-G
15-07-13, 21:11
Thanks mate. Ok I will try vix 2.2, do I need to flash old kernal aswell, do you have link for that if so....

The kernel is part of the image it self so just flash the image. Early ViX 2.3 image builds were also kernel 2.6.18 so they should work too.

pooface
15-07-13, 21:35
The kernel is part of the image it self so just flash the image. Early ViX 2.3 image builds were also kernel 2.6.18 so they should work too.

2.2 was the only image I had that was the older kernel :):p

thejoker
16-07-13, 02:01
Yea will probably get the latest image if possible. So whats the latest build on 2.3 that comes with the old kernel.

I presume these old images are unsupported and vix feeds will not work

Larry-G
16-07-13, 02:36
ViX 2.3 build 153 was the first publicly released ViX Duo image with the 3.1.1 kernel so any image before this one should be fine, and we cant provide technical support for this image any longer including bug fixes and updates primarily because the build git no longer exists for it, so if something goes wrong your pretty much on your own with it. The download server should still work though but dont quote me on that.

Larry-G
16-07-13, 02:39
There are only two ViX 2.3 images existing on this site pre kernel 3.1.1 and both can be found here.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?13173-ViX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v2-3-19-10-2011

thejoker
27-08-13, 12:55
Only getting a chance to try old kernal image now. Since i got a vu solo 2 havent really been bothered with the duo but with football just having started my wife needs her own tv...lol

Ive flashed both the 133 2.3 image and also the gm image, when I reboot box its just a black screen with starting stuck on display. Have installed bootloader again but no joy....have also tried vix 2.2

Stanman
27-08-13, 13:43
Those are old images.

Why not flash to latest? All updates and bug fixed all done.!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

Larry-G
27-08-13, 18:30
Only getting a chance to try old kernal image now. Since i got a vu solo 2 havent really been bothered with the duo but with football just having started my wife needs her own tv...lol

Ive flashed both the 133 2.3 image and also the gm image, when I reboot box its just a black screen with starting stuck on display. Have installed bootloader again but no joy....have also tried vix 2.2

we do not support clones on this forum, and before you try to con us into believing this is a genuine unit, I have personally seen your posts on no fewer than 3 other forums asking for help with this very same receiver, so thread closed and please do not ask for support here again for a cloned receiver.

Thread closed.