PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Ultimo] Picture breakup while recording

geeebeee
23-06-13, 05:05
Hi guys. Hope you can help.
I'm getting a strange problem that only happens when recording.
If I kick off a recording then tune to a different channel then go back to the recording channel, I see a strange break up of the picture. The picture breakup is also recorded.
Any ideas?
Gary.

chucknorris666
23-06-13, 09:35
What box?
What image?
Build number?
What local card you using?
What cam you using to decrypt card?

Larry-G
23-06-13, 10:05
as you selected the Ultimo tag i'll assume your are refering to the Ultimo but the above post still stands in that we need a lot more info in order to be able to offer help.

all i can say for now is that on my own ultimo with three single DVB-S/S2 tuners i have never had a problem with recordings, This receiver is used as the primary family receiver and has easily 30 plus recordings set each week, most of which while watching other channels, all without problem.

so please provide some more info and we will see where we can go from there.

geeebeee
23-06-13, 11:08
Sorry. Not helpful was I?
Ok. Here goes.
Ultimo box running Vix build 683.
I'm using the box as a free to air receiver so no cams in play.
No glitches when you're watching tv but when recording particularly HD channels, tune away then back to the recording channel, picture breakup occurs.
Hope that's the info you need
Gary

Larry-G
23-06-13, 11:18
Sorry. Not helpful was I?
Ok. Here goes.

I was not saying that you were not being helpful but as with any form of fault diagnosis we need as much info as possible. you would not expect a mechanic to instantly diagnose your car over the phone if you just said it's broke and wont start !!.

any way back on point. so it's only HD channels that break up or all of them ?.

I would start by checking the coax has no breaks, tears or rips along it's whole length. also check the f-plugs are fitted correctly ( obvious and monotonous things but vital to the correct operation of the receiver ).

Another thing to check is which tuner card in in use when the picture breaks up, for example when your watching a live TV channel on tuner A every thing is ok, but when a recording is using tuner A and your now using tuner B for live tv is it breaking up ? or tuner C for that matter.

Rob van der Does
23-06-13, 11:19
Recording to? Internal HDD?

geeebeee
23-06-13, 11:58
Recording to internal HDD.
Recording HD channels. It looks like it is happening when the box is switching tuners.
E.G. Recording HD channel on tuner A, switch to another channel, receiver switches to Tuner B. Switch back to recording channel, glitching occurs.
Switch to channel on same transponder (tuner) no glitching occurs.
Gary

geeebeee
23-06-13, 11:59
I was not saying that you were not being helpful but as with any form of fault diagnosis we need as much info as possible. you would not expect a mechanic to instantly diagnose your car over the phone if you just said it's broke and wont start !!.

any way back on point. so it's only HD channels that break up or all of them ?.

I would start by checking the coax has no breaks, tears or rips along it's whole length. also check the f-plugs are fitted correctly ( obvious and monotonous things but vital to the correct operation of the receiver ).

Another thing to check is which tuner card in in use when the picture breaks up, for example when your watching a live TV channel on tuner A every thing is ok, but when a recording is using tuner A and your now using tuner B for live tv is it breaking up ? or tuner C for that matter.

No issues with cable or connections as no glitching when channel not recording.

Larry-G
23-06-13, 12:05
are you using a local card ? I dont need or want any details just a simple yes or no will suffice.

geeebeee
23-06-13, 12:13
Its a free to air receiver. There is no card.
Just discovered glitching also occurs when starting or stopping recordings.
The internal hard drive is a Samsung HD203WI if that could be the source?
G

Larry-G
23-06-13, 12:18
Its a free to air receiver. There is no card.
Just discovered glitching also occurs when starting or stopping recordings.
The internal hard drive is a Samsung HD203WI if that could be the source?
G

It's certainly possible that the HDD creating a bottleneck for want of a better word when trying to watch and record multiple HD streams. Have you tried recording a SD channel while watching a HD channel, ir vice versa ? as for not needing a card there are several HD channels that do still need a card to open as these are FTV and not FTA.

geeebeee
23-06-13, 12:25
It's certainly possible that the HDD creating a bottleneck for want of a better word when trying to watch and record multiple HD streams. Have you tried recording a SD channel while watching a HD channel, ir vice versa ? as for not needing a card there are several HD channels that do still need a card to open as these are FTV and not FTA.

It doesn't happen when recording SD channels.

Larry-G
23-06-13, 12:29
so the bottleneck theory certainly seems to be gaining some ground then.

Do you have another HDD you could try to rule that out ?.

geeebeee
23-06-13, 13:06
Unfortunately the same brand. I might take the HDD out of an old Sky box.
I'll report findings. Thanks for your help. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post.
Thank you
Gary

Stanman
23-06-13, 13:09
Try converting it from ext3 to 4, proabbly wont make a difference but worth a shot.

I have used 3 seagate piplie2 HDD which are in sly boxes and they work perfectly, even when recording on 3 tuners and virtually all of my recordings are HD:thumbsup:

Larry-G
23-06-13, 13:17
Thats another thing did you initialize the HDD from within the image ?.

chucknorris666
23-06-13, 13:40
I would check the f connectors in the back of the box make sure none of the copper wire is touching the center wire. This can cause the picture to brake up.

Although as you say the channels are fine when not recording then the connections should be fine.

Strange one this Neva had any problems like this especially on FTA channels.

What channels is this happening on?

garryboy
23-06-13, 14:18
Is your HD 7200rpm. Had the exact same issue on my duo.

Swapped to a 5900 rpm seagate pipeline from my old skybox and the problem went away.

Maybe its takes a bit longer to spin up to speed causing the breakup. I used to hear mine spinning up. Not anymore.

Have you gor your hd set to go to sleep or stay on constantly?

I think STB work best with 5900rpm drives. Quieter too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
23-06-13, 15:17
No internal HDD should have any problem in the area of multiple (HD) recordings.
And the fact that glitches only occur when changing channel makes it even more unlikely that the HDD is the culprit.
But no idea what then ....

geeebeee
24-06-13, 10:43
Frustrating isn't it?
It's only happening on HD channels so BBC1/2, ITV, 4HD, etc.
The drive was formatted in the box, I've amended it to EXT4 but still the issue remains.
I've now taken a punt and ordered a new HDD to see what happens.
Will let you know but have gone for the CE 5900rpm Seagate mentioned above (2tb)
Fingers crossed!
Gary.

Trial
24-06-13, 11:41
Hi,
do you have a twin or quad lnb or quattro lnb with multiswitch? I would guess twin or quad because they sometimes react funny if a tuner get active/inactive. I never had a problem with my quattro/multiswitch combination.

ciao

geeebeee
24-06-13, 16:47
I'm using a quad LNB.

Trial
24-06-13, 20:00
Hi,
could you test on a system with real active powered multiswitch?

ciao

geeebeee
25-06-13, 19:47
Unfortunately not.
New hard drive in place but the issue still remains.
I've also tried swapping cables onto different tuner inputs but the issue is still there.
Any more ideas guys?
Gary

Rob van der Does
26-06-13, 05:22
New hard drive in place but the issue still remains.
As expected.
I really think you should Trial's suggestion.

geeebeee
26-06-13, 10:02
As expected.
I really think you should Trial's suggestion.

I wouldn't know where to start with that suggestion nor do I particularly understand what that will achieve or what that would point to regarding a fault. If you are suggesting the LNB may be at fault then I can approach the sat installer.
G

Rob van der Does
26-06-13, 11:02
Not all switches are (fully) compatible with all boxes. So if you use switches, it's worth a try switching them for an other brand.

geeebeee
26-06-13, 13:03
Not all switches are (fully) compatible with all boxes. So if you use switches, it's worth a try switching them for an other brand.

Hello - I dont have any switches. These are four direct feeds from the LNB straight into the box.

The only other thing I can think of is whether I have the system set up incorrectly:

Currently set as

Tuner A - Positioner (USUALS)
Tuner B - same as A
Tuner C - same as A
Tuner D - same as A

I was going to try

Tuner A - Positioner
Tuner B - simple single sat (28.2)
Tuner C - same as B
Tuner D - same as B

or

Tuner A - Positioner
Tuner B - simple single sat (28.2)
Tuner C - simple single sat (28.2)
Tuner D - simple single sat (28.2)

I am now wondering if the tuners are perhaps sending a voltage signal (spike) to the dish when they are set as a positioner and this could be causing a glitch?

That's a total guess but I will try my thoughts out later

Dont know if that makes sense to anyone?

I only ever record from 28.2, using the non 28.2 channels to watch sport.

Gary

Trial
26-06-13, 13:43
Hi,
do you have a positioner and fixed dish for 28.2? Write something about your system. It does not look perfect to me.

ciao

geeebeee
26-06-13, 13:51
Hi. No, I have a single motorised dish with four feeds coming from a quad LNB.
The usual dish position is 28.2 and that's why we wanted 4 feeds as we can often be recording three channel whilst watching a 4th.
Occasionally, I will point the dish to another sat but I don't tend to record.
We did not want two dishes on our house but appreciate people usually have two feeds on a fixed dish and two on a motorised dish. That allows them to record one sat and watch another. I am aware that means we can only record/watch what the dish is physically pointed.
We weren't bothered about that hence the set up.
Gary

Rob van der Does
26-06-13, 14:12
'Same as' means that the box will try to turn the motor when such an LNB is in use.
I presume the lead to tuner A goes via the motor? Then Tuner A should indeed be set to USALS and tuner B to 'second cable from motor'.
Ideally tuner C & D should be set to 3rd & 4th cable from motor, but unfortunately Enigma doesn't allow for that.
So the best (IMHO) would be to set both tuner C & D to 28.2E (and you are already aware of the possible limitations).
In this specific case 'preferred tuner' should be set to 'A'.
As this can still lead to problems you could also try to set tuner C & D to 'loopthrough to tuner B".

geeebeee
26-06-13, 14:34
Superb. Thank you. I have some options to try now then.
I will let you know the outcome. I appreciate my set up isn't the norm but the experience could help someone else out down the line should this end up being a solution
Gary

Trial
26-06-13, 14:48
Hi,
single with positioner should be correct but I have no experience with positioner.

ciao

geeebeee
26-06-13, 19:30
Regardless of settings, the problem persists. So that leaves the box or cabling.
I'll plug the box into a friends setup at the weekend to see what happens.
Driving me mad!
Gary

geeebeee
30-06-13, 17:44
Box works fine at someone else's house so this is now looking like a cable/LNB issue.

geeebeee
03-07-13, 18:39
After more input now. Sat installer been here for a few hours.
We tried a TM LNB and a Black brand low noise LNB. Both showed the picture breakup on recording another channel. Then we tried a Sky quad LNB and now it works perfectly.
Any ideas? Obviously the problem we have now is a degradation in signal % for European sats.
G

Rob van der Does
03-07-13, 19:10
....Obviously the problem we have now is a degradation in signal % for European sats.
Why is that obvious?

geeebeee
03-07-13, 19:47
? Because that's what the installer told us?
The SNR % has dropped 20% using an LNB designed for sky uk.
G

Rob van der Does
03-07-13, 20:02
Hmmm, doesn't make sense to me.
An LNB isn't made for a country.

geeebeee
04-07-13, 14:37
That's what I'm trying to find out. So you don't think a sky quad LNB is made specifically for a oval dish. Mine is 80cm round
G

Rob van der Does
04-07-13, 15:03
Nope, I don't think so.
What satellite is the dish/LNB pointing at?

geeebeee
04-07-13, 15:05
It's a motorised dish so can point anywhere.
That is good news then. :) G

Rob van der Does
04-07-13, 15:06
Pretty sure then the LNB will be fine.
Maybe the dish-alignment isn't 100% then?

geeebeee
04-07-13, 17:12
I'll give it a go. The missus is just happy we've lost picture break up on free to view HD channels!
G

Stales
04-07-13, 19:43
That's what I'm trying to find out. So you don't think a sky quad LNB is made specifically for a oval dish. Mine is 80cm round
G

I have read in several forums/sales info that SKY LNB's are designed specifically for SKY oval dishes and will not align 100%

Rob van der Does
04-07-13, 20:03
I have read in several forums/sales info that SKY LNB's are designed specifically for SKY oval dishes and will not align 100%
I simply don't believe that.

Stales
04-07-13, 20:32
I simply don't believe that.

Didn't understand it myself rob but it's on the net so it must be true :rolleyes:

Larry-G
04-07-13, 20:41
it would not surprise me as every thing else sky knock out is tailored for thier own service and not compatible with others. I have three sky octo lnb's but there all on sky dishes, on my 80cm motorised dish i have a inverto black ultra twin.

geeebeee
06-07-13, 17:52
Well we've got the Sly quad LNB on our 80cm motorised and its all good.