PDA

View Full Version : High CPU load on kernel 3.3.6

hollinshead
19-06-13, 23:26
I have flashed my box with the latest image which now has the GB Quad drivers downgraded to 3.3.6

While this does allow the additional DVB-S2 tuner to be detected and work I have found that viewing any satellite channel with any of the satellite tuners causes the CPU load of /usr/bin/enigma2 to run at 50%+ load.

Using the Freeview tuner doesn't cause this load, and the excessive load is causing the box to get VERY hot.

I have re-flashed the box back to my backup with the 3.5.1 kernel and the CPU load is back under 1% when watching a satellite channel.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

If you use the command "top" when using telnet or ssh to the box you can see the top CPU using processes to check what is using your CPU.

Mr. Mister
19-06-13, 23:41
Mine running at this :

394 389 root S 155m 28% 0% /usr/bin/enigma2

Am on kernel 3.3.6 and build 683..

I know this not of much use to you.. As i dont have my 3rd and 4th tuners added yet..

BubbleBalls
20-06-13, 00:06
CPU on my Duo is stable at 1% to 3% or there abouts.

Quad has been between 40% and 58% on the same channel as Duo. 3.3.6 kernel.

Tapatalker

judge
20-06-13, 00:24
/usr/bin/enigma2 at 51% here using the TM Twin, only using single tuner as no recordings going on. Also, PTS not enabled.

System temp also at 46c.

Build 683, kernel 3.5.3, ignore driver date as new ones are being tested.

Not sure any of this makes much of a difference though?

BubbleBalls
20-06-13, 00:57
Why such a difference in CPU usage?

Tapatalker

Rob van der Does
20-06-13, 07:19
CPU on my Duo is stable at 1% to 3% or there abouts.
For 'normal' usage (i.e. watching and recording TV) this is normal, as (almost) all is done in hardware.
Seeing those high marks on the quad I can't imagine that being fine (assuming it is used for recording/watchin TV; playback of other then .TS-files can also make CPU-usage a bit higher). I assume that USB-tuners will also cause a higher CPU load (if it were only for the support of the data (rate) transfer via USB; one of the reasons that one can only make limited use of external tuners).

dfdream
20-06-13, 08:42
Rob, no one mentioned USB tuners. Its the DVB-S2 tuners.

For 'normal' usage (i.e. watching and recording TV) this is normal, as (almost) all is done in hardware.
Seeing those high marks on the quad I can't imagine that being fine (assuming it is used for recording/watchin TV; playback of other then .TS-files can also make CPU-usage a bit higher). I assume that USB-tuners will also cause a higher CPU load (if it were only for the support of the data (rate) transfer via USB; one of the reasons that one can only make limited use of external tuners).

BubbleBalls
20-06-13, 09:38
No USB tuners. 2 X sat and 1 X DTT. No recordings in progress. PTS set to USB.

CPU Usage was the same on Sat as DTT.

Tapatalker

Rob van der Does
20-06-13, 09:44
Rob, no one mentioned USB tuners. Its the DVB-S2 tuners.

No USB tuners. 2 X sat and 1 X DTT. No recordings in progress. PTS set to USB.
CPU Usage was the same on Sat as DTT.
I never said USB-tuners were used: I only mentioned two possible 'normal' causes for a high CPU load.
And when those possible causes are not applicable, one might consider a hardware or driver issue (but be careful: there may be more causes then I mentioned, such as EPG-parsing and possibly more).

Edit: PTS set to USB is such a cause: all USB traffic goes via the CPU.

hollinshead
21-06-13, 18:42
The latest drivers that have been released today fix this loading issue on the CPU.

Simply place dvb.ko into the folder /lib/modules/3.3.6-1.2/extra/ via FTP and reboot the box. :)