PDA

View Full Version : [TM-TWIN-OE] Subtitle Background

bmwcare
19-06-13, 21:46
ViX 3.0 build 683 on TM-TWIN-OE

Subtitles working fine, however I would like to not have them transparent. That is, I'd like them to have a black background.

Is this possible? Or is there a plugin to achieve what I'm looking for?

Thanks

judge
19-06-13, 22:07
When you press the subtitle button, are you given more than one choice for the channel you are watching?
If so, try the other choices given.

Also, there are some extra subtitle menues, change size, position and so on, can't remember how to get to them off hand, but have a look around & you should find them.

bmwcare
19-06-13, 22:48
Thanks judge.
Yes, there are other options sometimes and I can change the colour to yellow or white in setting menu. However it doesn't have a black background behind the subs.

This is for a relative with poor sight and she finds it difficult to read them depending on the actual background picture.

Thanks again

judge
19-06-13, 23:09
Just checked BBC 1 & 2 here & the second option in subtitles has a black background.
Anyway, I'm sure you can change this somewhere, I don't use them myself so am not sure where I previously spotted the customisation options...
Try pressing the menu button in various related screens & you might find it before someone else jumps in with the solution...

bmwcare
19-06-13, 23:22
I'm having the issue with RTE1 (Irish channels) and Sky Movies.
I'm away from base at moment so can't check BBC FTA channels. I will later.

judge
20-06-13, 00:06
OK, Just checked RTE 1 & couldn't get an easily readable subtitle with background, tried as many menu options as I could think of...
Maybe it's there somewhere, sure it was before but can't find it now...
So, opened a feature request, if it can be done & Andy has the time, I'm sure he'll look into it.
Thanks for reporting it.

bmwcare
20-06-13, 00:31
Thank you judge!!
I was afraid I was missing something.

Rob van der Does
20-06-13, 05:39
I really don't understand it: I always use subtitles, and never have any problem reading them. And I most certainly would advise against adding a background.

Be aware that there are two kinds of subtitles:
1- DVB-titles. That are 'pictures' that can only be displayed as-is (only transparency can be changed).
2- TeleText-subtitles: they are being extracted as text from TT and are completely rendered again. One of the beauty's of the present implementation, is that an adjustable border has been added. Simply enlarge that border to make the text better readable.

PS: When using TT-subs the background option is already there. Don't use the subtitle selection, but use TT page xxx instead.

andyblac
20-06-13, 12:36
rob beat to it, he is correct what he says.

bmwcare
20-06-13, 16:17
Tested on BBC and yes, there is option of background on them.
However, on Irish channels that option is not there.

The issue is when you have white/yellow subs with a bright picture... For those with poor sight it is difficult to read.

The digital terrestrial service here has that type of subtitle background and she can read that perfectly. It's a pity that similar option is not available on the Irish sat channels.

Thanks

bmwcare
20-06-13, 16:20
2- TeleText-subtitles: they are being extracted as text from TT and are completely rendered again. One of the beauty's of the present implementation, is that an adjustable border has been added. Simply enlarge that border to make the text better readable.

I've made the font as large as possible and moved it to position.

I did not try the teletext 888 option. I shall try that later. I was using the subtitle button on TM remote.

Thank you.

Rob van der Does
20-06-13, 16:42
The issue is when you have white/yellow subs with a bright picture... For those with poor sight it is difficult to read.
You did enlarge the border?

bmwcare
20-06-13, 17:01
You did enlarge the border?

Yes. There is no problem with the size and position of the text. And it's perfect when the tv picture is dark behind the text. It's only when it's bright, for example, skyline etc.

Rob van der Does
20-06-13, 17:28
Yes. There is no problem with the size and position of the text. And it's perfect when the tv picture is dark behind the text. It's only when it's bright, for example, skyline etc.
I don't mean the size and the position: I mean the border (i.e. the black border around the text; in fact that's the background you asked for).

bmwcare
20-06-13, 17:39
I don't mean the size and the position: I mean the border (i.e. the black border around the text; in fact that's the background you asked for).

I did not see that option in Subtitle Settings...

I will double check when I get home tonight

Rob van der Does
20-06-13, 17:53
It is there. Just make it extreme large to clearly see the difference.

bmwcare
21-06-13, 04:56
Border setting is not there with standard subtitles.
Using teletext 888 option does not work at all on channels I tried.
The background does come on some subtitle streams but not on all or even nearly all.
Irish channels don't have the option at all...

Is there another skin I could try? Does anyone know if the pli image has background option?
I really don't want to change from ViX though.

Thanks again for your help

Rob van der Does
21-06-13, 05:11
So please read again this post (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?29398-Subtitle-Background&p=220559&viewfull=1#post220559).

Rob van der Does
21-06-13, 05:28
Tested on BBC and yes, there is option of background on them.
That's because you picked the (ugly) DVB-subs. The transparancy of the background can be adjusted.
Those channels also provide the TT-subs, so please use them for a moment to experiment with the title-border. I just set it to the max value (5) and IMHO it provides a very good readable text on a bright background.

However, on Irish channels that option is not there.
That's because they use the nice-to-render TT-subs; now you have the option to adjust the border.

PLi has the very same excellent options as ViX has.

bmwcare
21-06-13, 14:42
That's because you picked the (ugly) DVB-subs. The transparancy of the background can be adjusted.
Those channels also provide the TT-subs, so please use them for a moment to experiment with the title-border. I just set it to the max value (5) and IMHO it provides a very good readable text on a bright background

It's the 'ugly' ones I require!
The lady finds it difficult to read unless black background...
However, I can't get DVB type subs on RTE channels or a lot of the movie channels

The options available to me are attached:

Rob van der Does
21-06-13, 14:53
Not all channels provide DVB and/or TT subs; the provider decides that.

bmwcare
22-06-13, 21:28
I sorted this issue... In a roundabout way!

Installed a TM500 Super with iQ image
With this STB when you select the Irish channels:
Teletext>888

And the subtitles you get have a black background just like Saorview boxes do here...

The only issue for her is that she has to press 'exit' before she can change channels unlike the TWIN-OE but that's not a problem as she can read the text ok now.

Thanks to all

ronand
22-06-13, 21:42
Just checked RTE1 on my Uno running vix. Text 888 brings up the subs with black background.

Rob van der Does
22-06-13, 23:58
Just checked RTE1 on my Uno running vix. Text 888 brings up the subs with black background.
That is exactly what I suggested:

PS: When using TT-subs the background option is already there. Don't use the subtitle selection, but use TT page xxx instead.
No need for any other image; ViX displays TT as well (of course).

bmwcare
27-06-13, 19:42
Figured out why suggestion would not work with the TWIN-OE :
Faulty remote control...
So I put back in the TWIN using ViX image and she prefers the older simpler Enigma1 iQ version so I'm swapping it back again...

Sometimes you just can't win...

kkm
18-09-15, 00:40
Hello Everybody and @Rob van der Does,
It's time to program this feature. I did try all Image from OpenVix, BlackHole, ATV, OpenPli...I cant remember alots...
all feature can't set background subtitle while tv watching. I hope someone can help me here.

we all deaf depend subtitle, same you need audio.
bad subtitle = bad sound for hearing people.

Rob van der Does
18-09-15, 05:41
I tried to create a user-skin for that purpose, but it wasn't working indeed. Also tried the 'elabel' with a transparant background, but apparently subtitles are a bit hard to change (due to the specific z-position).
Now I can suggest two things:
1- Play around with the existing subtitle settings. Enlarge the fontsize and the borderwidth via the GUI.
2- If that's not sufficient you can try using different font types by adding a paragraph like

<subtitles>
<sub name="Subtitle_TTX" font="menulist;60" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
<sub name="Subtitle_Regular" font="menulist;60" foregroundColor="#ffffff" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
<sub name="Subtitle_Bold" font="menulist;60" foregroundColor="#ffffff" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
<sub name="Subtitle_Italic" font="menulist;60" foregroundColor="#ffffff" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
<sub name="Subtitle_MAX" font="menulist;60" foregroundColor="#ffffff" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
</subtitles>
to the skin (or to the user skin to preserve the changes).
Of course you have to make sure the values are supported by the skin you are using.

Sorry for having you set on the wrong foot.

To show an example of what is possible with the actual options:
44744 44745

But of course you have to decide what is acceptable for your eyes.