PDA

View Full Version : A couple of noob questions in advance of receiving solo2 box

CS10
19-06-13, 20:59
Hi all,
My Solo2 box will be delivered tomorrow from the forum sponsor.

As I said in my intro post, I'm new to all of this so really looking forward to the challenge.

As soon as I get the box, I want it flashing with the Vix latest image.

This seems pretty straight forward (just using the usb pen which I have already prepared).

A couple of other questions though:

1/ With regards to plugins, or these simple to install? Can I basically download any plugin from the Enigma 2 plugin download section?
To install these, do I have to ftp them to the receiver and install them using on screen prompts?

2/ If I want to use my sky subscription in the receiver, do I do this by using a Softcam plugin, and can these be found in the plugin section too?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Larry-G
19-06-13, 21:23
Flashing the receiver is a very easy task ( Tutorial included ).

Some plugins will only work with certain images but ViX has a fairly well stocked plugins feed built rite into the image which can be accessed by going to Menu> Plugins> Green button to download, softcams however are not included but you can get them from www.openvix.co.uk and if you have your own sky card we can help you set it up ( if you dont have a card we cant help with that sorry ).

CS10
19-06-13, 21:26
Hi there and thank you for the reply.

That's great, didn't realise there was a feed actually in vix!

Regarding the softcam plugin, I'll download them from the link you gave, but how do I then install them?

Yes I have a sky card with active subscription.

Does vix have a channel list or will I need to install one?

Thanks again.
Craig

judge
19-06-13, 21:51
You can either ftp the softcam to /tmp/ on the receiver, then blue button -> ViX -> Install local extension
You coud also put it on a usb stick & insert it in the box when it's on & no other screens are open, you will be then prompted to install it.

If using a cam like Cccam, you also need to create a text file called Cccam.cfg (case sensitive), this can be left blank to start with & just ftp it to /etc/

Once done, blue button - > Softcam Manager, set the cam to start & auto start (so it works on a reboot)

If you are subbed to premium packages like movies & sports, you will need to add a box key to your above created Cccam.cfg, just search the forum for how to add a boxkey.

ViX comes with an inbuilt AutoBouquetsMaker (Channel lists) and can create the SKY reigion of your choice quite easily.
Menu -> Setup -> Service Searching -> AutoBouquetsMaker.

CS10
19-06-13, 22:11
Thank you very much. That's really helped. I'm looking forward to giving it a go tomorrow.

Just out of interest, I have a fixed dish, is it possible to pick up other channels as well as sky?

judge
19-06-13, 22:20
You don't state your location so hard to answer, but if it's pointed at 28.2E which it probably is if it was previousy used for Sky in the UK or Ire?
You will pick up all free to sat & Sky channels, what you can decode on sky will depend on your sub.

CS10
19-06-13, 22:23
Hi there.
yes, its 28.2e.

Thanks for all of the advice. Really looking forward to getting the box!

judge
19-06-13, 23:12
It's a great box, if you're using it to replace a Sky HD box, you won't be dissapointed...
Can be a learning curve for some, but well worth it...
I'd never use a Sky provided box again.

josh_g
20-06-13, 16:30
the only thing egnigma boxes miss is interactive and the sky on demand, but that said there are some good movie plugins around!

CS10
20-06-13, 16:32
Yes, I do use on demand but can live without it. I take it there is no red button interactivity?

Can you recommend some good movie plug ins?

Larry-G
20-06-13, 16:35
Yes, I do use on demand but can live without it. I take it there is no red button interactivity?

Can you recommend some good movie plug ins?

Correct, you cant use the red button in the same way as you would on a sky branded receiver, but you can still access the streams for the interactive channels. as for OnDemand we have our very own that incorporates the BBC iplayer, ITV players and others into it ( produced and maintained only on this forum ).

CS10
20-06-13, 16:37
Brill!

So how would I view one of the streams that would normally be on the red button?

And is the ondemand thing a plugin that you have in the plugin feed?

I'm literally sat at work looking at the solo2 box dying to get home and set it all up!

Larry-G
20-06-13, 16:48
Very easily using a premade bouquet pack or ABM ( another plugin built and maintained here ).

as for OnDemand, yes it's available via the image feeds.

CS10
20-06-13, 16:51
wow! thank you :)

Larry-G
20-06-13, 16:51
a few pics of the OnDemand player in action.

CS10
20-06-13, 18:28
Hi again,
Right then, got the box going.
However, can't see any channels on the EPG.

I used the autoboutiquemaker from the Vix menu and choose Sky UK and my region.

Have installed CCCam.

But the EPG is empty. What simple action am I missing (I know it will be simple).

judge
20-06-13, 18:40
It can be done in many ways, but this is how I do mine for Sky UK & IRE.

Menu -> Setup -> System -> EPG -> Settings -> EPG Location, set to internal hdd or external USB

Menu -> Setup -> System -> EPG -> CrossEPG -> Configure -> Scheduled download, I set to nce a day at 6am
Menu -> Setup -> System -> EPG -> CrossEPG -> Open TV providers, highlight Sky UK Open TV (Astra2 on 28.2) & click ok.

Press green to save & yellow to download EPG now...

CS10
20-06-13, 18:46
Hi judge,
Thanks for the reply.

Done what you said. I have channels now, but no listing.

I'm using the autobouquet maker, but I still did the cross epg stuff.
Changed it to hard drive, and set to refreshdaily at 4am.

I downloaded now, and then when I go to EPG, all channels other than the ones I've had a look at have no listings.

judge
20-06-13, 18:49
are you sure you selected the source to download now?

how long did that process take?

CS10
20-06-13, 18:59
Sorry judge, what do you mean by selecting the source to download now?

When I pressed download, it was instant.

CS10
20-06-13, 19:24
Please ignore last post, I think I have sorted it.

Now, last question for now, I hope.
How do I get to the image feed for the vix on demand plugin?

Larry-G
20-06-13, 20:41
Please ignore last post, I think I have sorted it.

Now, last question for now, I hope.
How do I get to the image feed for the vix on demand plugin?

Menu> Plugins> Green button to download> Extensions> OnDemand.

judge
20-06-13, 20:46
Glad you got the EPG sorted.
To find Onemand:
Menu -> Plugins -> Green Button -> Extensions -> OnDemand, click OK to install it.
Reboot when done, then Blue button -> OnDemand to launch it.

CS10
21-06-13, 08:36
Guys, thanks for all of the help.

What a box!!!!!!!!!!

Jawid
21-06-13, 16:46
Hi, got one of these the only day from WOS and i'm very impressed with it.

This site is great, so much info and help, cheers guys. :)

Try IceFilms plugin CS10

CS10
21-06-13, 16:49
Will give it a go mate, thank you :).

The only thing for me that is worse than the sky box is the series linking and recording, maybe I'm going about it the wrong way.....but it isn't as quick and easy.

Larry-G
21-06-13, 17:08
Will give it a go mate, thank you :).

The only thing for me that is worse than the sky box is the series linking and recording, maybe I'm going about it the wrong way.....but it isn't as quick and easy.

series link or auto-timers requires a little setup on your end but once you are used to it it's great.

I have auto-timers set for Doctor who going back 4 years and it never fails when the new series is on.

kevstar28
21-06-13, 17:22
Red button channels are on channels called interactive. Iv got mine in a sub menu

CS10
21-06-13, 17:52
I couldn't find the icemovies in the plugin feed.

Also, what config my end is needed for series link?

Larry-G
21-06-13, 18:10
Icemovies is not in the image feeds for legal reasons, you can source it to install manually easily enough though.

CS10
22-06-13, 01:13
Fair enough, thank you.

I've hit a bit of a problem.

I'm setting my recordings to start, and then turning the box to standby.

When I come to viewing them, all I get is a black screen. What am I doing wrong?

CS10
22-06-13, 06:53
Just an update.
its some of the programs recorded ok and I can watch them, but 3 films I set didn't.

When I want to play then, like I say its a black screen and I notice the time display on the front of the box says -1286:30 for one. Which seems strange.

Can anyone offer suggestion as to why its not recording?
thanks.
Craig

CS10
23-06-13, 20:53
I set a recording schedule today for 7.58pm.
I pressed the standby button on the remote.

At about 8.15 I looked at the box and noticed no record icon was displayed on the front. I turned the box on and the timer said it was recording.

When I tried to play the recording, i think it started the recording.

What could be wrong? Maybe a tuner issue or something configured wrong?

BubbleBalls
23-06-13, 21:48
There was an issue with Gigablue Quad where blank recordings were pretty consistent. Marty discovered that at least 1min must be added before and after the program. This was a couple of builds back and seemed to effect the Quad only. Do you have a buffer before and after each recording?

Tapatalker

judge
23-06-13, 22:16
I set a recording schedule today for 7.58pm.
I pressed the standby button on the remote.

At about 8.15 I looked at the box and noticed no record icon was displayed on the front. I turned the box on and the timer said it was recording.

When I tried to play the recording, i think it started the recording.

What could be wrong? Maybe a tuner issue or something configured wrong?

Have you checked since to see if the full recording completed or not?

CS10
24-06-13, 08:41
Morning, thanks for the replies both of you.

bubbleBalls - I have it set to 2 minutes either side of the recording.

judge - Deleted those ones I mentioned above as soon as I saw they were messed up.

Last night I tried a few more.

I set up a timer for WWE Vintage, the program started at 11.30pm and was on for an hour.
My hard drive shows it and says 64 mins, which is fine with the 2 minute bit either side.
This is the view on the hard drive.
This is when I'm playing it.
This is the timer log.

I also had two recordings going at once earlier than this - Only way is essex (for the wife, honest), and Pulp fiction.
When I looked at the box the recording sign was there so all was good, I looked at the hard drive and both titles listed there seemed to display the correct times. But then I tried to start watching essex from the start while it was recording and it seemed to reset both recordings.

When I play essex, it says there is 6 minutes, but there is nothnig recorded, just a black screen.

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone in advance. Really appreciate it.

CS10
25-06-13, 06:57
Hi again. Sorry for the number of posts but really trying to get this sorted.

Completely reflashed the box last night.

I tried again but get the same thing.

I used the record once and add autotimer but both failed with same problem as above.

Possibly a faulty box? Issue with the latest vix? Can anyone help?

Turbo
01-07-13, 12:06
Hi, I was thinking of doing a similar thing to CS10 (buying a Solo2 and putting my multi room Sly card in it). However I've heard on another forum that Sly are doing something where they lock the cards to the Sly boxes which will soon stop this working. It sounds a bit anti-competitive as they often charge to purchase their boxes so why shouldn't people be able to choose which box they want to use with their cards.

Any ideas if this is actually happening?

Larry-G
01-07-13, 12:20
Hi, I was thinking of doing a similar thing to CS10 (buying a Solo2 and putting my multi room Sly card in it). However I've heard on another forum that Sly are doing something where they lock the cards to the Sly boxes which will soon stop this working. It sounds a bit anti-competitive as they often charge to purchase their boxes so why shouldn't people be able to choose which box they want to use with their cards.

Any ideas if this is actually happening?

Sky has and always has had a total monopoly in the uk for satellite viewing. Although it's not illegal to use a third party receiver with your sky card it is against their T.O.S ( teems of service ).

And yes its happening rite now but the exact time frame is any ones guess.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

CS10
01-07-13, 12:30
So once this happens, are we pretty much screwed?

twol
01-07-13, 12:34
Sky has and always has had a total monopoly in the uk for satellite viewing. Although it's not illegal to use a third party receiver with your sky card it is against their T.O.S ( teems of service ).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
So much for commonality across the EU countries...... They learned quickly in Germany that they wouldn,t have a business if they didn,t accept 3rd party receivers.
Even on Sky boxes you can set up the 1st 99 channels to suit your needs:)

CS10
01-07-13, 12:41
I hope they find a way to sort it?
Its very harsh if you can't use your card in a 3rd party box!

Turbo
01-07-13, 12:49
I think I'm going to hold off on buying a box, at least for now. Hopefully it'll never manifest itself or they'll be a nice workaround for it.

Larry-G
01-07-13, 13:17
So once this happens, are we pretty much screwed?

I would never say that, there are something like 40 plus satellite networks receivable from the uk and all have FTA channels, so even if sky uk goes off there will always be something to keep me interested in this hobby.

Larry-G
01-07-13, 13:17
I think I'm going to hold off on buying a box, at least for now. Hopefully it'll never manifest itself or they'll be a nice workaround for it.

Then satellite tv is likely not for you.

CS10
01-07-13, 13:19
I would never say that, there are something like 40 plus satellite networks receivable from the uk and all have FTA channels, so even if sky uk goes off there will always be something to keep me interested in this hobby.

Cheers Pheonix, will this require me repointing my dish?
My issue is that I can only just get astra 28.2E due to being surrounded by trees.

Larry-G
01-07-13, 13:21
Cheers Pheonix, will this require me repointing my dish?
My issue is that I can only just get astra 28.2E due to being surrounded by trees.

yes you would need a motorized dish and maybe a chainsaw lol.

CS10
01-07-13, 13:23
I wish I could chainsaw them down! TPO protects them.

So.... if it does happen, there will prob be a second hand solo2 box up for sale! lol

scottmcroberts
01-07-13, 15:05
Morning, thanks for the replies both of you.

bubbleBalls - I have it set to 2 minutes either side of the recording.

judge - Deleted those ones I mentioned above as soon as I saw they were messed up.

Last night I tried a few more.

I set up a timer for WWE Vintage, the program started at 11.30pm and was on for an hour.
My hard drive shows it and says 64 mins, which is fine with the 2 minute bit either side.
This is the view on the hard drive.
This is when I'm playing it.
This is the timer log.

I also had two recordings going at once earlier than this - Only way is essex (for the wife, honest), and Pulp fiction.
When I looked at the box the recording sign was there so all was good, I looked at the hard drive and both titles listed there seemed to display the correct times. But then I tried to start watching essex from the start while it was recording and it seemed to reset both recordings.

When I play essex, it says there is 6 minutes, but there is nothnig recorded, just a black screen.

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone in advance. Really appreciate it.

This is the Exact same problem I have with a TM-2T, can I ask are you using an internal hdd or usb external?, I can view the recording after I hard reset the machine most of the time. A frustrating problem that hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

CS10
01-07-13, 15:10
I'm using an internal HDD.
I think it wasn't properly initialised, so I went through the instructions step by step, and its working absolutely fine now.

scottmcroberts
01-07-13, 15:22
I will re-initialise (is that even a word...?) mine and let you all know how I get on. It's worth a go tried everything else

Cheesey4
15-09-13, 18:04
What folder do you put plugin ipk files in for vu+solo2 enigma 2??

AJT
15-09-13, 18:40
What folder do you put plugin ipk files in for vu+solo2 enigma 2??

tmp/var temp

Stanman
15-09-13, 18:40
The TMP folder and than blue button>VIX>install local extensions