PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Windows 7 sharing

rob76
14-06-13, 07:26
Hi,
I was sharing off my NAS drive up till recently but I've changed my setup now and need to share off my Windows 7 PC. When I scan the network on my Vu Duo I can see my PC comes up in the list but when I press OK to expand the PC selection there's nothing in there and I cannot see my shared folder.

My current settings are as follows:
1) Samba is up and running on the Vu
2) Folder is shared on Win 7 (see screenshots 1 & 2)
3) My general sharing settings seem OK (screenshot 3)

What else do I need to set?

thanks

Rob

Edit...forgot to say I'm using the latest Vix image updated with the latest stable releases.

josh_g
14-06-13, 08:55
there is a really useful thread on how to set it up you have to do it manually for windows shares for some reason let me see if i cna find it for you :)

josh_g
14-06-13, 08:56
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?27828-streaming-media-file-of-pc-to-sat-box

post #4

marty
14-06-13, 09:04
Just curious ;) why no longer use the NAS?
If the PC is off it can be a pain if the box starts looking for the location :p

josh_g
14-06-13, 09:11
Just curious ;) why no longer use the NAS?
If the PC is off it can be a pain if the box starts looking for the location :p

mine was doing this last night... pain in the arse!

marty
14-06-13, 09:13
mine was doing this last night... pain in the arse!

I bought a NAS recently, best thing I ever did. It can download torrents too which saves leaving the PC on all the time :D

josh_g
14-06-13, 09:23
I bought a NAS recently, best thing I ever did. It can download torrents too which saves leaving the PC on all the time :D

Nice :cool: i have a load of random hard drives of different sizes sat in my PC all for different files so just cant justify jumping to a NAS just yet

marty
14-06-13, 09:28
Nice :cool: i have a load of random hard drives of different sizes sat in my PC all for different files so just cant justify jumping to a NAS just yet

Same here, but a dedicated NAS really is the better solution :thumbsup:
I bought a DLINK 320L (not the 320) not the best NAS on the planet but certainly VERY good value for money. I fitted a pair of 3TB drives (6TB total)

rob76
14-06-13, 10:33
Same here, but a dedicated NAS really is the better solution :thumbsup:
I bought a DLINK 320L (not the 320) not the best NAS on the planet but certainly VERY good value for money. I fitted a pair of 3TB drives (6TB total)

I do have a NAS but my backup obsession has caused a data disaster so for the moment I'm NASless.

As a possible eye opener to others here's my story...
I keep all my data (phoitos and stuff) on my PC drive and I have a nightly backup, which also propagates deletions, to my NAS. My PC drive started playing up so without any bother I just replaced it with a new one knowing all my data is backed up. The first night with my new empty drive, the back up software runs and doesn't find any of the usual folders. It therefore thinks I deleted them intentionally and hence also deletes them off my NAS. Sweet!!

josh_g
14-06-13, 10:38
I do have a NAS but my backup obsession has caused a data disaster so for the moment I'm NASless.

As a possible eye opener to others here's my story...
I keep all my data (phoitos and stuff) on my PC drive and I have a nightly backup, which also propagates deletions, to my NAS. My PC drive started playing up so without any bother I just replaced it with a new one knowing all my data is backed up. The first night with my new empty drive, the back up software runs and doesn't find any of the usual folders. It therefore thinks I deleted them intentionally and hence also deletes them off my NAS. Sweet!!

That is bad bad times :(

marty
14-06-13, 10:49
I only store movies/music on my NAS, anything important I store on a spare drive inside my PC with a backup on EXT HDD :)
I don't like automated backup stuff, I prefer to manually do it when needed ;)

rob76
14-06-13, 10:56
Oh well at least now I've got a failproof (I think) backup strategy. Backup every 2 weeks alternating between NAS and online storage.

Back to the issue at hand, I've setup an FSTAB mount as instructed on that post but still not having any joy...

marty
14-06-13, 11:01
Did you set up another user account on your PC 1st?

rob76
14-06-13, 11:09
Do I need a seperate user account to access the share?

marty
14-06-13, 11:11
Do I need a seperate user account to access the share?

Yea, set as admin too.

marty
14-06-13, 11:12
This will help (its the guide I followed when I used to have a PC share)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15974-How-To-Setting-up-Windows-Network-Share

josh_g
14-06-13, 11:39
just so you know i have mine working with just a single user, but i am a admin

marty
14-06-13, 11:41
just so you know i have mine working with just a single user, but i am a admin

Well all I know is the guide works :) but you MUST setup the 2nd admin account, why? I don't know :p but it works :thumbsup:

josh_g
14-06-13, 11:52
what got me stuck was the File structure bit and not putting /

rob76
16-06-13, 14:06
This will help (its the guide I followed when I used to have a PC share)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15974-How-To-Setting-up-Windows-Network-Share
Just got round to playing with this again and setup everything as in this guide but I'm still not having any joy. I noticed that even though I put "/" in front of the shared folder (/vu) when I save the settings this seems to get dropped and I don't see it there when I go to edit the share settings. Any ideas?

rob76
17-06-13, 18:57
Just bumping this up a bit...

My issue now is that I enter the "/" infront of the share (vu) but this doesn't get saved. I'm attaching a screenshot of the OSD.

cheers