PDA

View Full Version : Reflash a Max receiver

roystheboy
12-06-13, 17:57
Hi guys I need to reflash my Max receiver but I got a problem when I switch the Max receiver off and put the USB in to reflash it there should be two red lights on the front but only one red light is there and one purple and wont flash the receiver ,do you think that I should do a factory reset then try to flash it again hope you can help cheers take care

Larry-G
12-06-13, 18:03
A factory reset will not be needed to flash the receiver as the flash process it self will wipe the previous image.

Have you formatted the stick your using ?.
Have you tried more than one USB stick ?.
Have you tried more than one USB port ?.
Have you removed all other USB devices while trying to flash the receiver ?.
What is the file structure of the image on the stick you are using ?.
where did you source the image ?.

Basically as much info as you can provide will help us to help you.

roystheboy
12-06-13, 18:37
Sorry guys I havnt done this before I was jus going by the tutorial not sure what Image I got but its from this forum and its formated but the receiver dont reconise the USB it just boots up and goes the freeview TV thanks

roystheboy
12-06-13, 18:50
Hi what is the best Image to put on it and build as I dont want to do this again cheers

Larry-G
12-06-13, 18:52
what image is on there now ?.

Menu> Information> About.

roystheboy
12-06-13, 19:06
Hi Version 3 Build 665 Kernel 3.6.1 dont know if thats what you need cheers take care

Larry-G
12-06-13, 19:10
your on build 665 then. Try a online update to the latest build where you will be able to flash the receiver directly from within the image manager it self.

roystheboy
12-06-13, 19:21
sorry it says feeds are down dont know what that means better do it from scatch I think cheers

roystheboy
12-06-13, 22:59
Hello well I did a Factory reset got it all back working and I got my Dongle working now which it wasnt before the factory reset ,but still cant reflash the box I dont know what else to do guys hope you can help cheers

Larry-G
12-06-13, 23:04
This is the flash procedure for the xp1000 so where exactly is it going wrong for you ??.

1) Format a USB stick FAT32.
2) Download your image and extract then copy the whole XP1000 folder to root of your USB stick.
3) Connect to rear USB port and power on.
4) Wait for both RED REC LED and LED on front standby button to appear RED then press CH+ behind front flap.
5) Wait for the image to flash, during the procedure the standby button LED will appear purple.
6) Once complete the XP1000 will automatically reboot.

roystheboy
12-06-13, 23:41
The part where I put the USB into the back and power on there is only one red light that comes on then a purple then it goes to the tv channels ,thats the bit cant go any further its baffling me cheers

Mr. Mister
12-06-13, 23:47
Its possible that your pc / lappy is not formatting your USB pen..

Download and install the HP formatting tool.. Found :

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml

Very simple to use.. And this should make your USB pen compatible..

marty
13-06-13, 06:52
Make sure you unzip the file you downloaded too ;) Putting the compressed file onto the stick directly won't work!!!!

roystheboy
13-06-13, 07:08
Hi thanks I am trying to download that program for formatting a USB stick got so far and its just stuck wirh this blue square at the top left corner of my laptop and wont finish downloading cheers

Larry-G
13-06-13, 07:56
you can get it from here.

http://www.pcworld.com/product/946261/hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool.html

roystheboy
13-06-13, 08:26
hi it just wont install it says administrator problem cheers

marty
13-06-13, 08:33
hi it just wont install it says administrator problem cheers

Right click your mouse and run as administrator ;)

roystheboy
13-06-13, 08:53
O.K. got it and formatted could you send me the latest Image fo the Max please as I dont know which one to put in and I want to get it right this time cheers take care

marty
13-06-13, 08:55
O.K. got it and formatted could you send me the latest Image fo the Max please as I dont know which one to put in and I want to get it right this time cheers take care

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=XP1000/&file=openvix-3.0.679-xp1000_usb.zip

Remember you MUST unzip it the then copy it to your USB stick :)

roystheboy
13-06-13, 09:18
Hi O.K. I have downloaded the Image and extracted it got it on the USB stick now is the test I am going to put it in the receiver and try it cheers take care

roystheboy
13-06-13, 09:32
Hi well I did it and its exactly the same just booted up one red light then purple then the TV channel came on ,no two red lights its just not working so I put the WiFi dongle back in and it connected strait away its baffing me I really need to know whats up with it ,is there another way that I could reflash it cheers

marty
13-06-13, 09:40
Wait for both RED REC LED and LED on front standby button to appear RED then press CH+ behind front flap.

Are you pressing the CH+ button at the right moment? try a few times as timing might be critical :thumbsup:

roystheboy
13-06-13, 09:47
Hi but I got to have the two red lights first before I press the CH + button butthere is only one red light then it goes strait to purple cheers

marty
13-06-13, 09:51
Power the unit off, turn it back on and keep pressing the CH+ button that way you "should" catch it :)

roystheboy
13-06-13, 10:27
Hi should I do that with the USB stick in it or whithout it cheers

josh_g
13-06-13, 10:32
try it with the USB stick in.
if that doesn't work there is a way of doing a clean re-flash from within image manager. i had the same sort of problem flashing my TM-Twin

marty
13-06-13, 10:32
With :D or there is no way it can possibly work :trustme:

josh_g
13-06-13, 10:36
if that fails read this thread as its an alternative way to re-flash. a lot easier and solved my flash problem :D

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?28688-Flashing

roystheboy
13-06-13, 10:39
Hi no that dont work its still the same cheers

marty
13-06-13, 10:40
Try this then :)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?28833-How-to-restore-flash-a-image-in-ViX-3-0-without-a-USB-stick-(-all-receivers-)

roystheboy
13-06-13, 10:46
Hi no that dont work its still the same cheers

roystheboy
13-06-13, 10:47
Hi what am I gonna do that looks complicated to me cheers

marty
13-06-13, 10:52
Hi what am I gonna do that looks complicated to me cheers

Very easy!!!!!!! read it a couple of time and try it :thumbsup:

roystheboy
13-06-13, 10:59
Hi it says do it only if you have an image 668 or over mine is lower than that cheers

marty
13-06-13, 11:05
Wait a sec I'm working on something for you :D

marty
13-06-13, 11:20
OK this should sort you out ;)

Step 1.
Create a folder on your Windows desktop and call it "test" or whatever you like.

Step 2.
unzip the image you downloaded earlier into that folder. It should look like this (see below)

Step 3.
Copy the folder from your desktop to your USB stick that is formatted in FAT32, it then should look like this :)

Step 4.
Reboot your box with the USB stick in it.

Step 5.
Once it has rebooted press the BLUE button on your remote and select "VIX"

Step 6.
Press "Image manager"

Step 7.
You will then see the folder called "test", select this and press OK (or the blue button that says "restore")

That's it :thumbsup:

roystheboy
13-06-13, 11:39
Hi I got to Image Manager pressed Image Manager but no folder called Test ,all I got is Device:/media/hdd/Freespace:1907MB select an Image to restore what am I doing wrong Ahh cheers

marty
13-06-13, 11:42
Hi I got to Image Manager pressed Image Manager but no folder called Test ,all I got is Device:/media/hdd/Freespace:1907MB select an Image to restore what am I doing wrong Ahh cheers

No problem, while still on that screen press "MENU" on the remote.
The 1st line will say media/hdd or something like that, just simply press left or right to change it to media/usb ;)

roystheboy
13-06-13, 11:45
Hi it wont change I tried both left and right on the remote

marty
13-06-13, 11:50
I don't have to time right now buts I'll make some screenshots for you later this afternoon :)
It does defo chance as I just tried it :confused:

roystheboy
13-06-13, 11:55
Mine Is stuckon it I can move it up and down but it wont go left to right sorry

josh_g
13-06-13, 11:58
exit out of all this and press the blue button to go to the vix menu. go to mount manager.

does the USB appear there?

marty
13-06-13, 11:58
Step 1.
Reboot your box.

Step 2.
press the BLUE button on your remote and select "VIX"

Step 3.
Press "Image manager"

Step 4.
Press "Menu"

Step 5.
At the top it says backup location /media/hdd, press either left or right to change it to /media/usb then press the green button.
This works 100% I just tested it on two separate boxes :D

marty
13-06-13, 11:59
exit out of all this and press the blue button to go to the vix menu. go to mount manager.

does the USB appear there?

Good idea, but take one step at a time :)

roystheboy
13-06-13, 12:15
Sorry guts got to go out for a bit emergency cheers ill have a go later sorry take care Roy.

roystheboy
13-06-13, 16:45
O.K. guys the first question press the blue button go to Vix menue go to mount manager and the USB is in there, the second one ,press the blue button go to Vix menue press that press image manager then press menue backup location left or right buttons dont move the /media/hdd/ at all I can move up and down to Backup prefix and Schedule Backups but thats it no more cheers

josh_g
13-06-13, 17:15
when you see the usb there does it say mounted?

roystheboy
13-06-13, 17:29
No its just the USB stick in there

roystheboy
13-06-13, 17:35
Hi it says USB: USB DISK 2.0 size:2.o1GB MOUNT:/Media/hdd Device:dev/sda1 Type:vfat R/W if that helps

Larry-G
13-06-13, 19:37
forget about that for now. can you perform a online update to get you to a image capable of using the image manager to restore the image ??.

roystheboy
13-06-13, 20:26
Hi Sorry not sure what you mean or how to do that thanks

Larry-G
13-06-13, 20:44
menu> setup> software update.

roystheboy
13-06-13, 21:26
Hi I did that thanks I have done it a few times to see if it would upgrade ,it did a few but not the build or image cheers

roystheboy
14-06-13, 13:44
Hello well I downloaded the Image again extracted it put it on a USB stick put it in the receiver booted it up and pressed the blue button but now I only got CCcam info and CrossEPG Downloader there is no Vix in there anymore whats hapening cheers

Larry-G
14-06-13, 13:49
mate were 6 pages along and still no where near knowing what is going on, start from the beginning.

Read this tutorial and follow it EXACTLY TO THE LETTER. then post back with your results.

roystheboy
14-06-13, 15:45
Thanks thats a very good tutorial but if the two red lights dont come on the front then I cant move on ,and now I cant see the Vix when I press the blue button sorry to bother you but I am stuck dont know what else to do cheers take care

Larry-G
14-06-13, 15:58
if the two red lights dont come on it sounds to me like the USB stick is not being recognized properly.

use the HP format tool software as linked to in the Tutorial to format the Stick to FAT32 if that still does not work try another, and make sure you have the correct file structure on the stick

roystheboy
14-06-13, 20:13
Hi Guys I am really sorry to bother you all the time but I really got a problem ,I have change the USB sticks and changed the Image but I got no two red lights and when I go into menu there is no Vix in there and when I press rhe blue button there is no Vix in there either ,do you think there is something wrong with the box because I do thanks and sorry for being a pain cheers take care

Larry-G
14-06-13, 20:46
Menu> Information> About.

what does it say in there ?.

also have you tried pressing the CH+ button when the receiver boots up regardless of whether you see the two red LED's or not ?.

roystheboy
14-06-13, 20:57
Hi it says the model build 665 version 3 that seems O.K. in there and yes I tried pressing the CH+ button when the receiver boots up ,but there is nothing in the menu that says Vix I know it should be there because I got it in my Vu+ Duo blue button Vix in there cheers

Larry-G
14-06-13, 21:12
your image has become corrupted if you can not see the ViX menu.

I still say the receiver is not detecting the image files on the USB stick, are the sticks you have used the same make and model or different ones ?. If you still can not update via USB I would try a telnet session to see if you can update the image that way.

roystheboy
14-06-13, 21:27
Hi I got three different Sticks and tried them all , on my Duo in the menu on setup there is a Vix in there and when I press the blue button there is Vix in there but not on theMax and what is telnet session how do I do that cheers

Larry-G
14-06-13, 21:32
I presume your using windows, if so have a read of this.

How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7 - Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12558-Tutorial-How-to-enable-the-default-Telnet-client-in-Windows-7)

Mr. Mister
14-06-13, 21:33
Open a Telnet session ..

Use something like putty.. or you can even use dreambox control centre..

when you log in with your username and password..

Type this..

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

then wait until the update is finished.. and box will reboot itself..

roystheboy
14-06-13, 22:26
hi I never even new this existed ,I got Telnet to work got the receiver switched on what goes in telnet sorry cheers

Mr. Mister
14-06-13, 22:28
its in my above post..

Larry-G
14-06-13, 22:29
when your logged into the receiver via telnet issue the following command.

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

your receiver will freeze and the update should start, once its done it will reboot it self.

roystheboy
14-06-13, 22:37
Thats brilliant never ever new that is possible ill have a go at that tomorrow ,tell me is it really as easy as that just type that in is it thanks take care

Mr. Mister
14-06-13, 22:39
Type that in.. and press enter..

Job done..

roystheboy
14-06-13, 22:52
Hi Sorry just type that in beside my name in telnet no need for the receiver Ip address is it cant get over this cheers

roystheboy
15-06-13, 06:55
Hi I got a problem again sorry it says init is not recognized as the internal or external command operable program or batch file and thats it cant move on cheers take care

Larry-G
15-06-13, 07:08
looks like your image is seriously corrupted, do you have any other USB sticks to try and are you 100 percent sure you have the correct file structure on the USB stick ?.

sorry to keep bleating on about the file structure but it is a very easy thing to get wrong and without the correct file structure the receiver simply will not recognise that there is a image to flash on the USB stick.

roystheboy
15-06-13, 07:14
Hi thanks I am useing the file that you guys sent me on here ,I extracted it made a new folder put it on the folder cut and pasted it to my USB stick and put it in the receiver reebooted it from the back cheers sorry guys take care

Larry-G
15-06-13, 07:17
you dont make any folders you simply extract the .zip file to your desktop then open it and copy the folder named XP1000 directly to the USB stick, it is vitally important that this folder be at the root of the stick and not in another folder otherwise the receiver will not see the image files.

roystheboy
15-06-13, 07:18
Hi the USB port is working because as soon as I put the WiFi Dongle in the receiver it recognizes that cheers thanks again

Larry-G
15-06-13, 07:22
yes but if you dont have the correct file structure it wont matter because the receiver wont see the update files.

please just do as i said in post 74.

Extract the .zip archive to your desktop.
open this archive and copy the entire XP1000 folder to your USB stick DO NOT create any other folders or place the XP1000 folder in to any other folders. just copy the XP1000 folder directly to the USB stick and try again.

roystheboy
15-06-13, 07:22
Hi thanks could we try again then would you send me the latest Image for the Max receiver ,because I have been doing it the way it was put in this thread sorry cheers take care

Larry-G
15-06-13, 07:24
you simply need to go to www.openvix.co.uk to get the latest ViX image for your receiver, which is currently build 679 and download that.

if you read the tutorial i sent you it tells you EXACTLY what to do, you do not need to make any folders you just copy the XP1000 folder to the USB stick.

roystheboy
15-06-13, 07:37
O.K. this is what I have done downloaded the latest Image then pressed extract files to my desktop then put that onto my USB stick is that right sorry for being a pain cheers

roystheboy
15-06-13, 07:49
Hi O.K. I have done exactly what you said when I put the Stick in I got two red lights then I pressed the CH + button and got one red rec light and a purple light and its just stuck on that cheers

roystheboy
15-06-13, 07:53
Hi O.K. its just started up got to go through all Installation again is that right dont know if its doing the right thing cheers

Larry-G
15-06-13, 09:13
if the image flashed correctly when the receiver rebooted you would be presented with the FIW or First Install Wizard. if you are seeing this you need to setup your basic settings again. at least we now know there is nothing wrong with the unit or USB sticks.

roystheboy
15-06-13, 09:29
Hi all O.K. its updated thanks just trying to connect to the Internet cheers thats what I was doing wrong the folder bit, cant thank you enough it will be easy next time sorry for all the problems I cause you and the guys on here my apologies to you all take care best regards

Larry-G
15-06-13, 09:32
Hi all O.K. its updated thanks just trying to connect to the Internet cheers thats what I was doing wrong the folder bit, cant thank you enough it will be easy next time sorry for all the problems I cause you and the guys on here my apologies to you all take care best regards

Thats what were here for and we eventually got the the bottom of the problem so now you know what to do if there is a next time.

roystheboy
15-06-13, 09:47
Yes cant thank you enough I feel so bloody stupid and I was going to bin this receiver lol cheers take care wonderfull forum

marty
15-06-13, 10:34
Yes cant thank you enough I feel so bloody stupid and I was going to bin this receiver lol cheers take care wonderfull forum

Glad you got there in the end :thumbsup:

roystheboy
15-06-13, 23:41
Thanks a lot flashed O.K. but a bit unstable its freezing quite a lot got to reeboot when it freezes cheers take care

roystheboy
16-06-13, 10:01
Hi guys what you think is it the Image fault that my receiver is freezing and the receiver wont start up with the remote cheers take care

roystheboy
16-06-13, 11:40
Hi guys I need a little help that Image I put on the Max is really bad in fact I have switched my Max box off cant watch it it freezes and the pic stutters a lot ,would I be better off puting the original Image on it please help thanks

Larry-G
16-06-13, 11:49
unfortunately without more information or debug / crash logs and a detailed run down of exactly what your doing and what is happening we cant really help as your posts are extremely vague and we would only be guessing as the your issues.

roystheboy
16-06-13, 11:58
Hi thanks for your reply you know thw problems I had puting the latest Image in the Max receiver well I finally put it in and it is working but it freezes and stops and I got to switch it off from the back of the receiver then on again as the remote freezes as well

marty
16-06-13, 12:06
It won't be the image, it will be the fact you have not configured the settings/box correctly ;)
I think there is a guide here somewhere :)

marty
16-06-13, 12:08
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23571-New-box-set-up-guide

roystheboy
16-06-13, 12:59
Hi thanks but what part do i need to stop the freezing and solve my problem cheers hope you can explain take care

Larry-G
16-06-13, 13:06
what exactly do you mean by freezing ? and does it affect all channels or just the premium pay tv channels ??.

roystheboy
16-06-13, 13:15
Hi it works fine when I switch it on from the back of the box but after about 10 min the Pic starts jerking and the remote wont work at all untill i switch it off again from the back of the box and its the same on all channels freeview as well cheers

roystheboy
16-06-13, 13:25
Hi the receiver was working fine before I upgraded it should I go back and put the original Image on it cheers

Larry-G
16-06-13, 13:58
you can try going back to a earlier image if you like but we would like to try and get to the bottom of things.

roystheboy
16-06-13, 14:02
O.K. fine what do you want me to do to help cheers

judge
16-06-13, 14:03
Try Menu -> Setup -> Factory reset.
Then when te box reboots, run ABM to create your channel lists.
Let us know then if you are having the same issues.

roystheboy
16-06-13, 14:10
Sorry what is ABM hope you can help cheers

judge
16-06-13, 14:12
ABM = Auto Bouquets Maker.

Menu -> Seetup -> Service Searching -> AutoBouquetsMaker.

marty
16-06-13, 14:13
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?24209-AutoBouquetMaker-released-by-ViX!&highlight=abm

roystheboy
16-06-13, 15:14
Thanks thats great you know when I am in ABM and choose the area I live in do I click HD or Sd or G2 thats whats getting me cheers

roystheboy
16-06-13, 15:18
Hi I just done what you said factory reset ABM and its just the same the Pic is jerking really bad cheers

roystheboy
16-06-13, 15:20
Hi and the remote stopped working again cheers

judge
16-06-13, 15:33
not sure what else we can do to help you really so...
have you checked all the cables & connections?

roystheboy
16-06-13, 15:38
Hi thanks should I put the MaxDigital Image thats on here 4.21 I think but I got to do something cheers

marty
16-06-13, 15:46
Hi and the remote stopped working again cheers

Batteries?

roystheboy
16-06-13, 15:49
No new ones when I factory reset this box the remote worked because I did the ABM with it cheers

roystheboy
16-06-13, 17:43
Hi could you show me where I can get the Version 3.0 Build 665 Kernel 3.1.1 Image as that one seems to work on my Duo cheers

judge
16-06-13, 17:49
Hi could you show me where I can get the Version 3.0 Build 665 Kernel 3.1.1 Image as that one seems to work on my Duo cheers

seriously, at this stage, the problems you are having seem to do with you & however you're setting up your boxes.
All latest VIX released images for the DUO are on http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BDuo/
and, there is currently no known reasons you shouldn't be using 679, currently the latest there.

roystheboy
16-06-13, 18:07
Hi will that be O.K. for the Max Receiver as I got to do something I cant watch it like it is thanks

judge
16-06-13, 18:12
Hi will that be O.K. for the Max Receiver as I got to do something I cant watch it like it is thanks

NO. You need to flash the correct image on the correct box.
The current image for your XP1000 is on http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=XP1000/

roystheboy
16-06-13, 20:00
Hi guys well I reflashed my receiver with a lower Image and its working O.K. no jerking or remote stoping working but only snag is I am back where I started from why O why cheers take care

roystheboy
17-06-13, 11:06
Hi Guys I got to tell you what I have done ,I have reflashed my Max receiver with the latest Image and its working fine no jerking at all ,but when I put the WiFi Dongle in and connect to the Hub the Pic starts to jerk exactly as before ,so I have taken the wiFi Dongle out and have no Internet connection to the hub now ,what can I do now to connect this receiver up to the hub cheers take csre

josh_g
17-06-13, 11:11
what local card to do you have?

roystheboy
17-06-13, 11:45
Hi I have a virgin hub is that what you mean cheers

josh_g
17-06-13, 11:46
no as in what local card is in the reciever? E.G is it a sky uk card?

roystheboy
17-06-13, 11:49
No nothing like that dont have any card whatsoever cheers

Larry-G
17-06-13, 11:51
in that case we cant really help as we dont support card sharing on this forum.

roystheboy
17-06-13, 11:56
No I dont need that I am chuffed I got the latest Image to work its working fine I just need to get connected ,because I have taken my WiFi dongle out and put a USB stick in there for the EPG I need someting to use Instead of a WiFi Dongle thats all cheers

josh_g
17-06-13, 12:00
Home plugs...

Mr. Mister
17-06-13, 12:02
Any of these will do your trick..

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Networking/Networking-Homeplugs

roystheboy
17-06-13, 13:38
Thanks thats just what I need cheers I am geting there lol take care thanks for all your help

roystheboy
17-06-13, 18:55
Well I got to say what a great set of Guys on this forum very Help full and Indeed very friendly lot I dont know what i would have done whithout them ,thanks Guys and keep up the great work well done take care best regards

Red D
04-07-13, 13:22
I'm having the same problem as roy, in that my XP1000 box is stuck on the startup image. I can't even connect to it via ftp or telnet.

Looks like my only hope of re-flashing the box is via usb, only like roy, the LED on the front of my box never goes red.

I've tried 3 different USB sticks (one brand new, all formatted with HPUSB.exe to FAT32) and it's the same problem.

I've had about 50 goes at restarting it and pressing the CH+ button, but the LED never turns red. It flashes purple for a milli-second and then goes blue and sticks on the startup picture.

Is the box dead, or is there any workaround?

cheers