PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Solo2 owners, need advice

Dimus
12-06-13, 08:36
Hi guys, I've got Solo2 unit but I think mine is faulty but before I ship it back to the store I'd like to confirm the behavior with other owners. What I'm seeing is constant packet loss when I "ping IP -t" my Solo2 every couple of packets gets lost. Also looking at the back of the unit at network card it shows two leds on network plug, from my understanding green should be solid light and orange blink when data transfer happens, in my case orange do blink but green will light up and after few seconds light down. Also watching movies from network drive freezes often which would be the case with lost packets. I also tried to reflash unit and even changed from dynamic to static IP with no luck.

Can someone who owns Solo2 confirm that they have solid green light at network plug and don't see packets lost.

Sicilian
12-06-13, 08:44
I've got a number of receivers here, all of which the Green light powers off when Ethernet is not being used.

To test, go to Menu > Plugins > Press green button to download plugins, see if the Green light (right light) starts blinking due to activity.

Dimus
12-06-13, 08:56
Hi Sicilian, the thing is, it has two lights, orange blinks for network activity, green will light up for couple of seconds then will switch off for couple of seconds, from my IT experience I always seen that if there're two lights 1 should be solid to represent that network connection is alive the other was to represent network activity.

Sicilian
12-06-13, 09:06
See attached picture and do the procedure I posted.

When accessing the plugins feeds does the green LED start blinking?

Rob van der Does
12-06-13, 09:12
See a.o.

https://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/COMPO/MOTHERBD/2514404/2514404faq16.shtml

Sicilian
12-06-13, 09:18
Just checked the VU+ Solo2 specifically, the LEFT LED does indeed blink and right LED blinks during activity.

Rob van der Does
12-06-13, 09:22
Indeed: continuous green.

Dimus
12-06-13, 09:43
Sorry guys, you confused me now. Sicilian you're saying that looking at green light it blinks at your Solo2 and Rob van der Does says it's continuous green? Reading on some internet pages this is what I found:

"A solid green light indicates connectivity is present. This link light is generally either green or off. Green is good, off is not! That light should stay a solid green. If you see it flashing green, that's a sign of intermittent connectivity, which is a fancy way of saying "one minute the PC is on the network, the next minute it's not". Most likely, either the NIC or the cable connected to the NIC is going bad. With the green light, flashing is not desirable." - source from h**p://www.mcmcse.com/comptia/network/network_interface_cards.shtml

Rob van der Does
12-06-13, 10:06
I think Sic & me meant to say the same.
Anyway: on my Solo2 the green light is always on and the amber light lights up (flashes) on activity.

Dimus
12-06-13, 10:11
Cool, Thanks Rob, that would mean that there is something wrong with the NIC.

I do have a spare WIFI card Edimax EW-7811Un (I think it's chipset is Realtek RTL8188CUS or rtl8192cu) if I'll plug it in, will it work out of the box in VIX image or do I need to add drivers? so I will be able to verify it's the built in NIC is malfunctioning.

Rob van der Does
12-06-13, 10:18
Cool, Thanks Rob, that would mean that there is something wrong with the NIC.
Or with the connector/cable/switch/router/whatever network-components you use.

Dimus
12-06-13, 11:12
Thanks Rob, Any idea on WIFI dongle I mentioned in previous post?

Rob van der Does
12-06-13, 11:13
Nope, sorry, not my area.

Sicilian
12-06-13, 12:19
Right to confirm.

Looking at the rear of the receiver.

Left LED Blinks constantly.
Right LED only blinks fast when there is activity, otherwise it goes off.

Dimus
12-06-13, 12:59
Thanks Sicilian, that's... confusing. Just checking: you looked at Solo2? Your Left LED is green? and it blinks constantly? Mine will stay on for 5-6 seconds and then fade off to switched off state stay like that for couple of seconds then will light up again and cycle will continue. I'll try to record a movie in the evening and put it to youtube for better visualization.

marty
12-06-13, 13:06
Thanks Sicilian, that's... confusing. Just checking: you looked at Solo2? Your Left LED is green? and it blinks constantly? Mine will stay on for 5-6 seconds and then fade off to switched off state stay like that for couple of seconds then will light up again and cycle will continue. I'll try to record a movie in the evening and put it to youtube for better visualization.

Can you plug the cable into something else to test?

Sicilian
12-06-13, 13:12

I've no idea what colours they are, I'm a little colour blind, that's why posted what they do :p Left blinks slowly constantly, right blink fast only when there is network activity.

marty
12-06-13, 13:15
See a.o.

https://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/COMPO/MOTHERBD/2514404/2514404faq16.shtml

WOW, gateway still exists :eek:

Rob van der Does
12-06-13, 13:23
I've no idea what colours they are, I'm a little colour blind, that's why posted what they do :p Left blinks slowly constantly, right blink fast only when there is network activity.
Seen from behind: left is green, and is lit constant in my case; right is amber and flashes on network activity.
The green one lights up as soon as the cable to the router has been attached and it stays lit all the time.

pooface
12-06-13, 13:53
At op, can you connect a different network cable to your solo 2, to ensure its not just a dodgy cable? Also, can you try connecting to a different network switch if different cable makes no difference?

Also, make sure the cable plugs in all the way, and it's not a tight or lose connection..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Dimus
12-06-13, 14:08
My plan is when be back at home to test with different router, cable, WIFI dongle

marty
12-06-13, 16:09
My plan is when be back at home to test with different router, cable, WIFI dongle

WIFI dongle? if you are using wifi then you don't need a lan cable :confused:

chaser
12-06-13, 20:01
My guess:
Solid green: 1gb connection
Flashing green: 10 / 100mb connection

My box has solid green LED and the box is connected to a Gigabit switch.

Dimus
12-06-13, 22:38
Hi, issue narrowed down.

First tried WiFi dongle to verify it's the issue with network card. Whilst on WiFi no packet lost or freezing.

Next tried different network cable, same issues.

Next tried to plug Solo directly to my laptop and voil'a green (left) light is solid and no packet loss, so that leads to a faulty ethernet ports on router.

Tried second router (original from broadband supplier), voil'a green light is lit constantly and again no packet loss.

So I was right that there was a problem in network but looked at the wrong end, now ordered a replacement (good old Amazon) will double test it when arrives

Case closed! Thank You everyone who tried to help me!

judge
12-06-13, 23:37
... so that leads to a faulty ethernet ports on router.

Tried second router (original from broadband supplier), voil'a green light is lit constantly and again no packet loss.

So I was right that there was a problem in network but looked at the wrong end, now ordered a replacement (good old Amazon) will double test it when arrives

Case closed! Thank You everyone who tried to help me!

Could also be config setup on the router that's causing the problem...
Might not need to be replaced if you work throuh the set-up options?
Do let us know if the replacement works as expected though.

Dimus
13-06-13, 07:46
I tried to look at the router config (Asus RT-N66U) but everything in there was fine, no settings that could cause the behavior I was seeing. Amazon will have them back in stock 15th so new one should be with me next week. When comes will defo test both WiFi and ethernet ports and let you know guys.

chaser
13-06-13, 12:08
What about IP address conflict? Is it possible that your solo2 is using the same IP address as something else on your network? Try manually assigning an IP address to your box and see if that helps.

Dimus
13-06-13, 12:39
No, that was faulty ethernet ports on router, I tried all, DHCP, DHCP with static assigned IP in router, static assigned IP on both sides (always checking that nothing else is using the same IP), and it was still misbehaving. When connected directly to laptop and on both manually set IP then Solo2 network lights were lit as it should and as it behaves now when connected to spare router.