PDA

View Full Version : EPG Keeps Losing Data

spevs
06-06-13, 06:31
I have a TM Twin OE running VIX 668 from a fresh image & several times a week the EPG will lose all its data, requiring a manual cross EPG download to re-populate programme information. I have been encountering this issue since around build 600 was released.

Anyone have any ideas..............?????????:confused:

TK4|2|1
06-06-13, 07:43
Have you scheduled a regular download?
Where are you storing epg.dat file?

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

josh_g
06-06-13, 08:54
i have this problem with mine.. it happens when my USB stick randomly un-mounts itself i find it usually does this when i dont power done the box properly!!

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 09:07
i have this problem with mine.. it happens when my USB stick randomly un-mounts itself i find it usually does this when i dont power done the box properly!!

This happened to me too. I previously stored epg on USB believing it would populate quicker rather than have the hdd spin up. Occasionally, the data would get lost.

I then moved it back to the hdd and have had no issues since. And there's no benefit to keeping epg on USB as the data stays in flash while the box is on.

Tapatalker

RL73
08-06-13, 09:38
Ye. I found it does this occasionaly even on the 4d image. Haven't found a solution yet but no deal breaker.

spevs
09-06-13, 11:27
Hi guys, cross EPG is set to update every morning at 6:00am, since posting I have moved dat file from USB to HDD, this seems to have made a bit of a difference as this morning the box had rebooted itself & EPG had programme data for 3 days, previously it would have been empty.

Don't understand why sometimes the box reboots itself & is on when I get up, this happens about 3/4 times a week.....????

Rob van der Does
09-06-13, 13:07
Don't understand why sometimes the box reboots itself & is on when I get up, this happens about 3/4 times a week.....????
Nor do we: why not post some logs? And tell us which image you use?

spevs
10-06-13, 18:08
As I said at the top of this post I am using Vix 668........

spevs
14-06-13, 04:53
Nor do we: why not post some logs? And tell us which image you use?

Well........Any ideas........Logs posted...................:confused:

spevs
20-06-13, 06:30
Still getting box switched on in the morning despite it being left in standby, also EPG not fully populated, I do a manual load of EPG which then populates fully, I put the box into standby & it seems ok for a few days then round we go again, appears no one is interested in this problem.......:(

Rob van der Does
20-06-13, 06:42
.... appears no one is interested in this problem.......:(
What makes you think that?
Please don't forget that ViX is not a 24/7 job. And apart from that: we need to be able to reproduce a problem before we can even start trying to fix it.

mkhan
20-06-13, 21:00
I get this issue on the duo using Vix image or sometimes when I reboot the box or put it in standy-by there is no or missing epg. The only way round this for me was to delete the cross epg plugin and install an older version. Now it retains the epg for 7 days.

s31teg
20-06-13, 21:19
i used to have a similar problem with a cheap usb stick, got a trusty sandisk cruzer and problem vanished

have you tried moving epg to HDD just to prove this?

BubbleBalls
20-06-13, 21:41
Spevs. Check if you have xmltv enabled. There are some power options there that might help with the unexpected power up in the mornings.

Menu/system/epg/xmltv importer

Tapatalker

spevs
22-06-13, 07:14
Spevs. Check if you have xmltv enabled. There are some power options there that might help with the unexpected power up in the mornings.

Menu/system/epg/xmltv importer

TapatalkerHi there, have checked my box & this is disabled. Can you tell me what this does as it has always been disabled as far as I am aware and my problems with the EPG only began around build 600 time. Since moving the EPG to the HDD I am having much less occasions when the EPG fails to load & the box has switched itself on in the morning........Cheers for the help

BubbleBalls
22-06-13, 09:12
Disabled is OK. I have a Vu+ Duo and a Gigablue Quad and have never had any sustained issues with EPG. EPG is stored to the HDD. System/EPG/Cross EPG /Configure is set as
System/EPG/Settings are
OpenTV providers 26920

I have no PowerTimers set. XMLTV is (and always has been) disabled.

I have however fresh flashed both boxes within the last month/6 weeks. I did not use settings back up at all and used the startup wizard to configure the STBs before FTP of cam/DBE of bouquets. The only things that have remained constant are Timers and Autotimers. I copy the files to my PC and FTP them back once fresh flash is complete.
backing up timers
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showpost.php?p=220315

Your box starting up (and loss of EPG) can happen if it is not powered down correctly. EPG is stored in flash while the box is running. It's saved from/to the HDD on power up/down. If, for example, a power outage happens you may get your symptoms. Do you mains power off? Do you you have a mains timer?

Both my boxes run perfectly, both are wired to router, both have static IPs and both are maintained to the latest builds (updated a day after build release)

If these settings don't help then save your timers to PC and do a fresh flash. If you still use a USB - format that too (just in case there are old EPG files still there) and double check your HDD is mounted. These boxes are like PC's in that files/paths/settings can become corrupt and they are open to virus also. A fresh flash does not take too long either! Hope you get sorted.

Tapatalker

duoduo
22-06-13, 10:28
Go into settings, epg, crossepg, open tv providers and tell me what options have a tick next to them?? I had a tick next to both sky options and had similar issues with epg display, make sure just 28.2 is ticked, save, exit and do a full reboot. It sorted the problem for me, still get box on in morning occasionally but just come to accept it, doesnt spoil the pleasures of owning my box.

spevs
23-06-13, 09:31
Thanks for your suggestions on this, I am not aware of any mains outages, I have abandoned keeping the EPG on a USB stick and since storing it on the HDD has reduced these issues to occurring once or twice a week rather than every other day. I will try what you have suggested...........:)

spevs
23-06-13, 09:36
Go into settings, epg, crossepg, open tv providers and tell me what options have a tick next to them?? I had a tick next to both sky options and had similar issues with epg display, make sure just 28.2 is ticked, save, exit and do a full reboot. It sorted the problem for me, still get box on in morning occasionally but just come to accept it, doesnt spoil the pleasures of owning my box.

The only tick I have in opentv providers is Astra2 on 28.2, I agree I still love having the box, although it's just a shame there are a few niggles, especially the recording from EPG inconsistencies..............Thanks for your help........Spevs

no1baggiesfan
23-06-13, 18:09
I too am having problems with my EPG, tried USB and HDD, only have 28.2 ticked as my epg provider, I download it, I have it set to DL at 4am every day, but still I have no EPG :(

Any ideas please.

Vix 683 on a TM twin.

duoduo
23-06-13, 22:11
What time is abm updating? Try updating abm at say 1am and crossepg at 00.30am tonight and see if it makes any difference in the morning when you get up.

judge
23-06-13, 22:22
I too am having problems with my EPG, tried USB and HDD, only have 28.2 ticked as my epg provider, I download it, I have it set to DL at 4am every day, but still I have no EPG :(

Any ideas please.

Vix 683 on a TM twin.

Have you 2 feeds going to the TM Twin & are both set up correctly for 28.2E?

When you press the Blue button -> Cross EPG Downloader, what happens then?

no1baggiesfan
23-06-13, 22:59
Have you 2 feeds going to the TM Twin & are both set up correctly for 28.2E?

When you press the Blue button -> Cross EPG Downloader, what happens then?

yes I have 2 feeds, one is 28.2 the other is motorized, I think I have it sorted tho, I ticked BOTH the 28's (28.2 and 28.4) downloaded and now I have EPG :D

and yes, I saved it straight away b4 the dam box crashed again :D

still not used to those magic buttons lol, only had the box 6 weeks :)

Thank you peeps, will let you know how it goes.

PS. Igleave22's idea, working so far, will find out more tomorrow.

mkhan
23-06-13, 23:01
i used to have a similar problem with a cheap usb stick, got a trusty sandisk cruzer and problem vanished

have you tried moving epg to HDD just to prove this?

On the TM Twin I deleted the epg file from the hard drive and re downloaded the epg problem solved but not with the duo. Using latest Vix image build 683.

judge
23-06-13, 23:02
Could be wrong here but don't think you need both 28.2 & 28.4.
Downloading extra data with one overwriting the other.
I'd just use 28.2.

BubbleBalls
23-06-13, 23:16
I'd just use 28.2.

When I started last year I was unsure if I needed just one or both (I had little understanding of Sat positioning) - I used both initially but soon only ticked 28.2. That's enough for me too. No issues.

Tapatalker

no1baggiesfan
24-06-13, 00:31
I'd just use 28.2.

I tried with both separately before m8, it only worked when I ticked both. lol.

judge
24-06-13, 00:53
28.2 downloads a lot more than what's duplicated in 28.4, I'd stick with 28.2 only for SKY IRE & UK EPG.

no1baggiesfan
24-06-13, 23:56
This is effing stupid, EPG working perfectly all day, then after watching a few movies I press the EPG button and its all gone again, ffs.

duoduo
25-06-13, 07:33
Take out 28.4 now, run crossepg abs reboot mate. This is what method worked for me

no1baggiesfan
25-06-13, 10:10
Take out 28.4 now, run crossepg abs reboot mate. This is what method worked for me

yup, changed that setting last night m8, box was fine all night, 10am this morning during the jeremy bloody kyle recording (for wifey) the dam box crashed again and guess what....no bloody EPG.

I cannot understand how unstable this openvix image is, never been this crash happy before, only since I went motorized this has started.

BubbleBalls
25-06-13, 13:28
Don't think it's the image. Very few users report it. And rock solid here. Very annoying but I have no ideas left mate, sorry.

Tapatalker

no1baggiesfan
25-06-13, 13:35
Don't think it's the image. Very few users report it. And rock solid here. Very annoying but I have no ideas left mate, sorry.

Tapatalker

I dont understand it myself BB, the openvix was solid, even when I updated it everytime an update was available, since I added the motorized its all gone tits-up.

Tried minimal install too, just the image and the vhannibal/cateye list, still it bloody crashes :(

I am thinking the only other thing that could be iffy, is the HD, its the only other reasonable explanation.

Going to have to try to put the EPG on a USB and use the HD for only recording, see if that works.

BubbleBalls
25-06-13, 13:50
Reckon the motor? Read others have issues so could be drivers.

Tapatalker

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 11:29
OK, woke up this morning with an error message:

Log error cannot start new thread

????

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 11:42
Right, just went into media to check my recording that was set for this morning, it has recorded the program, BUT its in 15 bits, some are 15 seconds some are in mins ???

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 12:14
Oh, surprise surprise, NO EPG again and all channels are showing n/a.
ridiculous.

pooface
26-06-13, 12:30
Right, just went into media to check my recording that was set for this morning, it has recorded the program, BUT its in 15 bits, some are 15 seconds some are in mins ???

That sounds like your box kept crashing and restating. Have you any crashlogs with today's date? Have you enable debug logs? If so please upload for us to look at...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Trial
26-06-13, 12:37
Hi,
all channel show n/a in channel list? If yes then you do not have a problem with the EPG you have a problem with the lamedb which contains all channel. If you have a channel in your bouquets it must be in lamedb otherwise you see n/a.

ciao

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 13:21
That sounds like your box kept crashing and restating. Have you any crashlogs with today's date? Have you enable debug logs? If so please upload for us to look at...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

For some reason there are no logs in either USB or HDD, I don't think debug logs are enabled, I haven't if it isnt default.

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 13:22
Hi,
all channel show n/a in channel list? If yes then you do not have a problem with the EPG you have a problem with the lamedb which contains all channel. If you have a channel in your bouquets it must be in lamedb otherwise you see n/a.

ciao

All channels were fine yesterday, just did a rescan, all back now, still getting to grips with the deeper stuff lol.

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 13:30
27032LOL, yup, I am a n00b, found them in home/root lol

Trial
26-06-13, 13:38
Hi,
look in /home/root maybe there is a log file.

ciao

Rob van der Does
26-06-13, 14:22
27032LOL, yup, I am a n00b, found them in home/root lol
These are all driver problems.
I suggest you to flash the box, not restore any settings nor plugins, and download a settingsfile from the feeds. And of course you must set the correct tuner config.
Let that system run for a couple of days and see how you go.

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 15:01
These are all driver problems.
I suggest you to flash the box, not restore any settings nor plugins, and download a settingsfile from the feeds. And of course you must set the correct tuner config.
Let that system run for a couple of days and see how you go.

Box was flashed 2-3 days ago, no restore used, only thing not installed from feeds was cccam 2.3, as far as I am aware tuner config settings are fine.

Rob van der Does
26-06-13, 15:03
Then I have really no idea what could possibly be the cause of your issue.

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 15:12
Then I have really no idea what could possibly be the cause of your issue.

great news :(

pooface
26-06-13, 15:29
Can you enable debug logs, and then this can maybe help to ascertain where the problem lies...

I've had that problem quite often with crossepg... But, I don't believe that those files would have been created at the time of your recording... They look like logs that have been created at your scheduled epg creation time...

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 15:52
Can you enable debug logs, and then this can maybe help to ascertain where the problem lies...

I've had that problem quite often with crossepg... But, I don't believe that those files would have been created at the time of your recording... They look like logs that have been created at your scheduled epg creation time...

I enabled those as soon as you mentioned that earlier :)

Not 100% sure yet, but.... it might be the HD, I have just reflashed the box, with bootloader and image, just to make sure :)

Both installed fine, but box shuts down at 49% of loading image, no USB connected, I removed the HD (with the intention of formatting it to remove any old setting etc) I cannot get the HD to be recognised by windows at all, It wont even show as anything in device manager, going to try another HD, if that solves it then WHOOPIE, if not, I am screwed lol, might have to go back to openpli image :( or even try something else (if you can with TM)

will post back soon :)

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 16:23
Ok, not the HDD, box still gets to 49% then shuts off, no idea what is going on now :(

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 16:58
4 flashes later and it now works, jesus these boxes are finicky, I need a bloody lie-down.

Lets try again :)

pooface
26-06-13, 18:42
Yes, the tm boxes do seem quite finicky when flashing. Even when not flashing or even updating, I've had the box totally crash out without doing anything...

Anyway, glad box up and sorted, let us know whether your epg imports are better now?

no1baggiesfan
26-06-13, 23:38
Yes, the tm boxes do seem quite finicky when flashing. Even when not flashing or even updating, I've had the box totally crash out without doing anything...

Anyway, glad box up and sorted, let us know whether your epg imports are better now?

Well, its still up and running fine, no crashes (yet) we will know for definite tomorrow if the recording works.

I turned off all auto-updates, only installed 2 plugins (cccam and vhannibal)

Also.... I have noticed that now there are two lights flashing on my motor (red and green) previously, only the red one has blinked (every now and again) now they are both flashing continuously, hmmmmm

no1baggiesfan
27-06-13, 15:33
nearly 24 hours and no crashes lol, EPG is still there, my timed recording worked fine, dish is still moving :D

Its basically exactly the same setup as it was before, but this time I flashed the BL too, no idea if this did make a difference, or if flashing it 4x did LOL, but its working :)

Thanks peeps for your input.

OK, now for my next problem :D

For some strange reason, my BBC1HD has permanent bloody subtitles:( tried enabling/disabling them, reboot on each change, still got subs ????

Sirius
27-06-13, 15:52
Press the audio button then yellow to sub menu then just press ok to switch them off

no1baggiesfan
27-06-13, 16:21
Press the audio button then yellow to sub menu then just press ok to switch them off

lol, pressed audio, pressed yellow button, box crashed :D
box back on, subs were off lol, well, it sort of worked :)

thank you.

Larry-G
27-06-13, 16:32
lol, pressed audio, pressed yellow button, box crashed :D
box back on, subs were off lol, well, it sort of worked :)

thank you.

Then submit these logs so that we can try and see whats going on.

Rob van der Does
28-06-13, 14:45
And please make a new thread for a new problem.
Don't be shy :p

no1baggiesfan
28-06-13, 21:18
Then submit these logs so that we can try and see whats going on.

Logs are here:27094