PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo HDD problem

Taffster
04-06-13, 19:09
My Vu+ Duo developed a problem on Sunday that seems to be related to the HDD.

I tried to watch a recently recorded programme, the vu+ locked up, displayed a black screen with an error code in white text then restarted.

I tried to load a different programme and the same thing happened.

I chose the "restart enigma" through the main menu options.

When it re-booted all my saved programmes had vanished and the HDD indicator in the bottom right of the /hdd/movie screen displayed 29Gb 100% free. My HDD is 1TB and did have 66% free with all the programmes saved.

Any ideas on what's happened and how I can restore my HDD space back - or even get my saved programmes back.

I've not messed with any other settings - before this incident or since. I have looked though my Vu+'s files using FileZilla but there's nothing in the hdd/movie folder. I can still record stuff and rewatch it and delete things. Everything else seems to be working normally - such as epg & picons though I think these run off a usb stick rather than the HDD.

All my plug-ins are working fine - don't know where these are stored, I presume it's in the HDD??

I've attached the enigma logs that I found stored in the Vu+.

Cheers for any help.

Larry-G
04-06-13, 19:21
Sounds like it's lost the HDD mount points.

Check in the mounts manager and post the results.

Blue button> ViX> Mounts ( or what ever name it has ), also on topic of mounts you dont have TSpanel installed by any chance ?.

Looking at one of your logs it's saying your on build 423. I would recommend that you perform a fresh flash to build 668 which can be downloaded from www.openvix.co.uk (http://www.openvix.co.uk) and setup again from there, if the HDD is fine you should not loose any recordings from it.

This tutorial may help in the flashing process.

Taffster
04-06-13, 19:23
Sounds like it's lost the HDD mount points.

Check in the mounts manager and post the results.

Blue button> ViX> Mounts ( or what ever name it has ), also on topic of mounts you dont have TSpanel installed by any chance ?.

Looking at one of your logs it's saying your on build 423. I would recommend that you perform a fresh flash to build 668 which can be downloaded from www.openvix.co.uk (http://www.openvix.co.uk) and setup again from there, if the HDD is fine you should not loose any recordings from it.

This tutorial may help in the flashing process.

I do have TSpansel installed.

In the mount manager option, only my usb stick is listed. My HDD does not appear.

When I doa fresh flash, does it have to be a "clean" usb stick? Can I put the relevant file onto the usb stick in the back of the machine that stores picons & epg info? Or does it have to be a tick with nothing else on it?

Larry-G
04-06-13, 19:28
TSpanel is frankly a massive pain in the backside and in my opinion Trashware.

TSpanel is well known to mess with Mount points on all devices be they USB, HDD or Network and it also messes with Timeshift just to name two of the many problems this plugin causes.

I would strongly recommend that you re-install the image and leave out TSpanel ( DO NOT restore a backup made where TSpanel is installed ).

Taffster
04-06-13, 19:34
Cheers.

Can I reflash with any old usb fat32 pendrive - or do I have to clear all the files from it first and only have the flash file on it?

Larry-G
04-06-13, 19:36
Cheers.

Can I reflash with any old usb fat32 pendrive - or do I have to clear all the files from it first and only have the flash file on it?

ideally it's best with a clean freshly formatted stick but i often use one that contains picons etc as long as the vuplus folder is placed directly to the root of the stick it should be fine.

Taffster
04-06-13, 20:07
Having a few issues . . . .

Put the vuplus folder on to the usb stick. Put the stick back in the vu box and switched the rocker on. A clicking noise started and kept on going. The front of the vu box said "starting". I waited 5 minutes and as the clicking and "starting" were still continuing I switched it off at the rocker.

I tried the usb pen in the front usb socket. Got the clicking again, which stopped after 30 secs. Then the vu booted. Still had the same issues as before. (Channels were all working fine.)

Switched it off and put the stick in the original usb slot. Same thing happened as first time.

Switched it off, tried the usb pen in the second rear slot (it was the one above the first rear slot I was trying). 30 seconds of clicking followed by Vix booting with the same issues as before. I've checked my menus, it's still on Vix build 423 so hasn't reflashed yet (you probably knew that).

Is the clicking a problem with the HDD?

I'm going to try and uninstall TSpanel and see what effect that has.

Larry-G
04-06-13, 20:13
The clicking sounds like the HDD has or is about to fail, try unplug the HDD internally and flash again with a clean freshly formatted stick, also uninstalling TSpanel from the menu wont fully remove it from the image as it overwrites system files during its install, making it impossible to remove without a reflash.

Taffster
04-06-13, 20:43
Have dismantled the box - tried firing up the HDD on my laptop. Fires up first time, no clicking. I can't access the HDD which might be because I am using a Mac and the HDD might be in a format that a MAC won't recognise. However it spun fine and made the right noises.

Will try to reflash without HDD attached first.

Larry-G
04-06-13, 20:48
Have dismantled the box - tried firing up the HDD on my laptop. Fires up first time, no clicking. I can't access the HDD which might be because I am using a Mac and the HDD might be in a format that a MAC won't recognise. However it spun fine and made the right noises.

Will try to reflash without HDD attached first.

yeah try reflashing the receiver without the HDD attached, then once flashed reattach the HDD and see what if any thing happens.

Taffster
04-06-13, 20:58
It's not reflashing.

No HDD attached. Usb stick reformatted for Fat32 and has nothing on it but the newest Build.

Towards the end of the pdf you pointed me towards, it says something about a bootloader. Do I need that?

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:02
Tried reflashing with no HDD attached, formatted usb stick to Fat32 with nothing on it except the new build file. But it did not work.

On the pdf you pointed me towards it states near the end something about a bootloader. Do I need one of them?

Oops - didn't see that it had moved to page 2.

Larry-G
04-06-13, 21:10
if your already using a ViX 3.0 image then no you dont need to update the bootloader, try a different USB stick as sometimes Duo's especially can be very picky about the USB sticks they flash with.

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:10
Adding a bootloader had no effect either.

Still on build 423.

Larry-G
04-06-13, 21:11
you could try updating the image via the online method then once done use the image manager to flash the latest image directly.

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:12
if your already using a ViX 3.0 image then no you dont need to update the bootloader, try a different USB stick as sometimes Duo's especially can be very picky about the USB sticks they flash with.

I've tried two. Neither's worked.

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:13
Does it matter which usb slot it goes in?

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:14
you could try updating the image via the online method then once done use the image manager to flash the latest image directly.

How do I do that please?

Larry-G
04-06-13, 21:15
not in my experience on my own receivers, they will flash with any port. try another though just to be safe and remember to remove any other USB sticks or devices you may have plugged in.

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:18
not in my experience on my own receivers, they will flash with any port. try another though just to be safe and remember to remove any other USB sticks or devices you may have plugged in.

I've only had one usb stick in at a time. I've been using the one that has been in there storing the epg & picons, and another that I have found after hunting the house.

I'm loath to use my ones from work as they've got loads of data on them - plus they're the same make as the first - Transcend.

How do I do that online thing? I've tried updating through the menus but nowt happens.

Larry-G
04-06-13, 21:22
you will need to enable the allow unstable " untested " updates option first in Menu> setup> system> software update.

Then once the box has updated flash a clean image from the image manager.

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:37
No joy.

I go to image manager and all I see is a half written error message.

Have tried re-attaching my HDD - not happening :-(

And to top it all - I can't access my channels now. I'm having a grade one nightmare.

Thanks for you help though but I seem to have screwed it up :-(

Larry-G
04-06-13, 21:40
best thing to do is turn it off at the mains for 10 minutes then try again with a USB flash from one of the rear ports.

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:46
I seem to remember trying to reflash it to an updated build not long after I got it last November, and failing quite miserably then too.

When I try image manager it reads

"Device:
there was a problem with this device, please reformat"

there's some more under that but I can't read it as it only shows a very small bit of the top of the following line.

pressing the yellow (downloads) or blue (refresh) option buttons gives a negative response.

I'm stumped.

Larry-G
04-06-13, 21:52
so if you have updated the image what build is it currently on now ??

Menu> Information> About ??

Taffster
04-06-13, 21:54
Still on 423 :-(

Larry-G
04-06-13, 21:57
rite, well you cant flash the image from the image manger yet as you would need to be on build 668 to do that.

have you enabled the allow unstable updates option yet ?.

if so try a telnet update ( make a image backup first just to be safe in the image manager )

The telnet command to update the image is

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

once the update has gone through you can use the image manager to restore / flash a image directly.

BubbleBalls
04-06-13, 22:01
Might be a silly question but did you unzip/extract the file on the USB?

Tapatalker

Taffster
04-06-13, 22:03
Might be a silly question but did you unzip/extract the file on the USB?

Tapatalker

Yes. When I check the pendrive it only contained a Vuplus folder, inside that was a Duo folder and inside that were a couple of files dated 23rd May 2013.

Taffster
04-06-13, 22:04
rite, well you cant flash the image from the image manger yet as you would need to be on build 668 to do that.

if so try a telnet update ( make a image backup first just to be safe in the image manager )

once the update has gone through you can use the image manager to restore / flash a image directly.

Never heard of a "telnet" update before. How do you do it?

Larry-G
04-06-13, 22:08
Never heard of a "telnet" update before. How do you do it?

You would first need to start a telnet session between your pc and the receiver then use the command I posted. Sorry I can't be more specific at the moment. I'll be back on the pc in 20 minutes or so.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Taffster
04-06-13, 22:09
Managed to get my channels and epg back up - that is a major relief. If Peppa Pig did not come on tomorrow morning I'd have two very annoyed youngsters to answer to.

I'm retiring to bed - I'm drained. Thank you for all your help. I'll try and PM you or something when I'm revved and ready to try and reflash this baby.

If you reply about the telnet thing I'll have a bash at that.

Thanks once again for your time and help. It's very much appreciated.

Larry-G
04-06-13, 22:28
no worries, you at least have a working receiver for the yungens in the morning, i'll be back here tomorrow evening if you want to have another go at it.

Taffster
05-06-13, 19:50

Have borrowed a hard drive from work for the evening. After mounting and initialising I've got the HDD up and running, recording, playing and deleting without errors. So my original hard drive must be knackered and I now know how to install one.

Have figured out how to "telnet". I found a web page giving instructions and used "Terminal" (I have a mac) to run a telnet session through the options menu, then entered "telnet <my vu+ ip address>", entered my user name and password and got a positive log on from the vu+ box.

Do I just type in "init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6" into the terminal at this point?
And if so, what can I expect to happen and for how long?

If I make an image backup through image manager, where will it be stored? Will I be able to store it on my usb stick? hdd? or does it go into the vu+ flash memory?

Cheers

Larry-G
05-06-13, 20:15
Have borrowed a hard drive from work for the evening. After mounting and initialising I've got the HDD up and running, recording, playing and deleting without errors. So my original hard drive must be knackered and I now know how to install one.

Have figured out how to "telnet". I found a web page giving instructions and used "Terminal" (I have a mac) to run a telnet session through the options menu, then entered "telnet <my vu+ ip address>", entered my user name and password and got a positive log on from the vu+ box.

Do I just type in "init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6" into the terminal at this point?
And if so, what can I expect to happen and for how long?

If I make an image backup through image manager, where will it be stored? Will I be able to store it on my usb stick? hdd? or does it go into the vu+ flash memory?

Cheers

yes just enter the command exactly like that and leave it to do it's work, The update process may take a while to complete ( could be any where from 5 to 15 minutes depending on the amount of updates it needs to load ) and once it has the receiver should reboot it self ( that's the init 6 part of the command ).

Now for the image backup, have a read of this it should help you.

Taffster
05-06-13, 21:00
did it and got this error at the bottom of a very long list

Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62734189/feed/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

Larry-G
05-06-13, 21:04
Then your image is seriously old and cant be updated online.

you need to keep trying with different USB sticks until you find one that will work.

Taffster
05-06-13, 21:11

you need to keep trying with different USB sticks until you find one that will work.

Would a new image work off a new HDD? Say I put the 668 image vuplus folder on an empty HDD - would that make the box reflas the image?

Larry-G
06-06-13, 00:43
Would a new image work off a new HDD? Say I put the 668 image vuplus folder on an empty HDD - would that make the box reflas the image?

No you would have to flash via a USB stick to a minimum of build 668 before you could use the image manager to flash the receiver.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 09:12
Yes. When I check the pendrive it only contained a Vuplus folder, inside that was a Duo folder and inside that were a couple of files dated 23rd May 2013.

I know Phoenix has already asked and you have tried two but my Duo will not flash with certain USB sticks. I have about 6 in the house and two have never worked. Once I take them out of the equation I have no problem flashing.

Tapatalker

Taffster
06-06-13, 20:29

I've found a usb stick that the vu+ box recognises on startup.

The front of the box says "found usb" (or something similar), "reading", "formatting" and finally "please remove usb and reboot".
All this takes less than 10 seconds.

When I reboot nothing has changed Still on build 423 or whatever I'm on.

I've tried all 3 usb ports and get the same result.

Is it worth doing a factory reset?

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 20:33
A factory reset will only go back to the last flash.
When the box recognises the USB I think you have to press ok or the roller on prompt. If you don't it will not flash.
It should last over two min

Tapatalker

Taffster
06-06-13, 20:40
Pressed ok on the remote when the "found usb" message came up. Did the same as before. 10 seconds and asks for reboot. No change to image build.

Tried pressing and rolling the roller on the front of the box at the same usb message and the same things happen. No change to build.

I tried reflashing this box the first few days I had and it would not reflash. Must have a dud-box or something.

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 20:40
Mods,

Is an updated bootloader required to upgrade from 423 to 6**?

Tapatalker

Taffster
06-06-13, 21:08
Mods,

Tapatalker

The bootloader that's on openvx for the vu+ duo was in the vuplus file on this stick.

I'll try it without the bootloader.

Taffster
06-06-13, 21:28
I've just tried with the latest image 678.

The screen at the front of the box took a time to read the usb, then said it was programming, took a minute or two, said it was finishing and asked for a reboot.

On the reboot I've got the configuration screens I got when I first set up the box from new and so I am currently going through all the start up options.

Does this mean I've reflashed to the new image? I'l find out at the end of these menus.

Taffster
06-06-13, 21:33
I have reflashed!!!!! Yeah.

So . . . .

You need to find a usb pen that works....

Make sure you've not got a bootloader in the vuplus folder - which you might have if you added a bootloader due to not getting a response with your usb sticks.

Yippee.

Now to fid out if my HDD will work with it.

And balls - my screeen size is wrong. How do I find the menu option to resize my screen please?

Clabs
06-06-13, 21:39
Menu>Setup>Ststem>User Interface>Position Setup

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 21:42
Happy days. Well done. You may have some more frustrating times but that is the hobby. And when you get it right once you won't get it wrong again.

Tapatalker

Larry-G
06-06-13, 21:45
ok try this.

FTP into the receiver and navigate to /etc/opkg/ you should see a file called ocram-feed.conf open this file and paste the results in this thread please.

Larry-G
06-06-13, 21:46
Mods,

Tapatalker

not on the Duo or any Vu model for that matter.

Larry-G
06-06-13, 21:49
I have reflashed!!!!! Yeah.

So . . . .

You need to find a usb pen that works....

Make sure you've not got a bootloader in the vuplus folder - which you might have if you added a bootloader due to not getting a response with your usb sticks.

Yippee.

Now to fid out if my HDD will work with it.

And balls - my screeen size is wrong. How do I find the menu option to resize my screen please?

well congrats on finally getting there.

as for the screen size the single best thing for you to do is to disable overscan on your TV ( google the TV model and overscan for instructions ). if and only if thats not possible you can adjust the OSD position via Menu> Setup> System> User interface> Position setup.

Only use this as a last resort, i say this because with overscan enabled you are loosing upto 5 percent of the viewing area of your TV picture on all inputs, this is why the OSD appears this way due to overscan being enabled.

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 21:49
You flash boot loader once - nothing else on the stick.
Then flash the image.

Once the boot loader is up to date you can flash more images.

You don't need to flash bootloader each time you flash the image.

But any updates from here should be handled from the box itself. Menu, setup, software update. If all goes well you will not need to USB flash again.

Are your recordings back?

Tapatalker

Taffster
06-06-13, 22:10
I've not attached the HDD drive yet.

I've only set up a vu+ box once - 6 months ago when I got this one. How do I install my bouquet list? It's the only thing I have not done and I can't find a tutorial telling me how. I've still got the one I installed back in November on the laptop, but can't figure out where it goes or how to get the vu+ to recognise it.

Oh, and how do I get the box to recognise my picons? They are stored in a usb stick plugged in to the back.

Ta.

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 22:24
For bouquets I use dreamboxedit. Use the box ip and FTP the bouguet to your box. Search for dreamboxedit and I'm sure there's a guide here.

Since you last flashed auto bouquet maker has been added as standard. This will build you bouquet ala SKY and keep it updated. If you like it it may be less hassle updating channels. Menu - service searching - auto bouquetmaker. Play around with the settings that suit you and your location. Only takes a few mins.

I would forget your picons on the USB and download fresh updated ones from the feeds menu - plugins- green button (to download) and select the pickings you want. Save them to flash.

Also, as you have a duo setup a swapfile (96) and use the plugin Cacheflush. These will help keep the box running great.

Tapatalker

Taffster
06-06-13, 22:25
Tapatalker

Sadly not. The HDD makes the clicking noises on start up and the vu+ won't boot with the HDD attached. Seems like my HDD has died.

I'm a bit gutted - I follow Cardiff and have loads of this seasons matches recorded. I go with my daughter and there were loads of clips of me and her at matches. Lots of little zoom-ins of her too. I'm gutted that they've gone.

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 22:33
If the hard drive has failed do not initialise it again. There is great chance that your daughters recordings can be recovered. There are software for retrieving such. I am not stating you can get it all back but I've been gob smacked by what the software can recover. It's been awhile since I used it but google is your friend. Actually, I remember reading a thread on this site where someone recovered photos of a deceased family member.

Il check what I used and let you know but in the meantime just park that hdd.

Tapatalker

Taffster
06-06-13, 22:40
I'm not ready to take it out from the box yet until W-o-S are happy for me to return it, hopefully for a replacement.

Though when they do, I suppose I'm going to have to find a way to try an recover the important stuff before posting it.

Thank you very, very much for al the help, support and advice I've received during this thread. I've got a better vu+ box set up (HDD not withstanding) from it and a better understanding of the box.

Thank you.

Larry-G
06-06-13, 22:41
Also, as you have a duo setup a swapfile (96) and use the plugin Cacheflush. These will help keep the box running great.

Tapatalker

only in cases where the receiver displays signs of having memory leak problems, for receivers that dont, using a swap file can have the negative effect actually slowing down rather than speeding it up.

BubbleBalls
06-06-13, 23:05
Fair point Phoenix. I've just read of so many posters having memory problems on the duo that I thought it would do no harm. Swap file and cache flush drastically stabilised my Duo - it's an original and when I first used it I got crashes. Come to think of it - it was after I installed cache flush that it became rock solid. So I should be sparring in advising swap file, thank you.

Taffster,

I've PM'ed WOS in the past and they are spot on. If you fear that by taking the hdd out yourself you will void your warranty please mail them. It may not effect your warranty as the Duo is made for internal installation of a hdd.

If the hdd is faulty then running recovery software will not effect it. But check with them first.

I have a hdd in my Duo and there is a definite audio click when it starts. Just double check if it is mounted ok.
Menu-setup-vix-mount manager-highlight the hard drive and press blue button.

Tapatalker

Taffster
07-06-13, 06:42
I can't check if it is mounted as the vu+ will not boot up if the HDD is installed, the HDD just clicksand the front of the vu+ displays "starting" and that's it. Put a different HDD in and everythings is fine. Plus the original HDD can't be read by my laptop so it must be corrupt somehow.

Sicilian
07-06-13, 07:18
I can't check if it is mounted as the vu+ will not boot up if the HDD is installed, the HDD just clicksand the front of the vu+ displays "starting" and that's it. Put a different HDD in and everythings is fine. Plus the original HDD can't be read by my laptop so it must be corrupt somehow.

HDD formatted by the a E2 receiver cannot be read by a windows PC as they're formatted ext3/4. The way to check is by deleting all partions and formatting with Computer management.

Control Panel > Administrative tools > Computer Managment > Storage > Delete all partitions, then connect back to the receiver.

Some hard drives DO inherently click during normal operation.

Larry-G
07-06-13, 07:21
try googling how to mount linux partitions on a mac before you format the drive.

Rob van der Does
07-06-13, 07:36
There are Ext3/4 drivers for Windows.

BubbleBalls
07-06-13, 07:38
To help keep your recordings don't format the hdd. There is a program that allows ext3/4 hard drives to be read by windows - cant think of the name as I am not near my PC.

Tapatalker

Larry-G
07-06-13, 07:44
To help keep your recordings don't format the hdd. There is a program that allows ext3/4 hard drives to be read by windows - cant think of the name as I am not near my PC.

Tapatalker

Dont know why but i had assumed the OP to be using a mac ( likely confusing him with another user i was helping )

ANY HOOOOOOOOOOO.

How to Access Linux Partitions (ext2, ext3, ext4) From Windows. Click here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22172-How-to-Access-Linux-Partitions-(ext2-ext3-ext4)-From-Windows&highlight=How+Access+Linux+Partitions)